• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Anime Characters Have Pubic Hair?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
A very amusing but informative answer. When I saw this article I thought the question was about why in anime female breasts are often drawn without nipples.

I am not a huge fan of showing breasts in anime, but when they are shown, please have the courtesy of including nipples. Not even the "uncensored" BDs of Cross Ange (a show heavily reliant on sexuality and fanservice) have nipples; that is mind boggling.

I think in that case maybe the uncensored version of Valkyrie Drive could be the show for you....

Actually, you rarely see male nipples either, and there's even more shows where that occurs.
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
There was also Bill 156 of the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance approved by the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly in 2011 that expanded the city's authority to regulate anime and manga that "unjustifiably glorified or exaggerate" sexual explicit acts. There were political implications as well, as The Examiner noted: "This bill has sections that includes regulation of images that, according to Yomiuri Shimburi, 'excessively disrupting to social order', as well as preventing sale of 'harmful publications'."

Most manga publishers and anime producers protested this bill. While theoretically, it only affects "Tokyo", the city is the biggest market for anime and manga. While I have not heard that very many publications or movies/shows have been affected by the ordinance, that does not mean there cannot be a crackdown at some time in the future, given a hard turn to the right in the city government.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The lack of pubic hair doesn't bother me at all. I find it rather distracting when it is included in hentai since it looks more like a little furball attacking than a tuff of hair. Anime females that do have pubic hair have a dense lump of it that just looks awkward.

I just wish they could stop censoring all the fun bits =P
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
A very amusing but informative answer. When I saw this article I thought the question was about why in anime female breasts are often drawn without nipples.

I am not a huge fan of showing breasts in anime, but when they are shown, please have the courtesy of including nipples. Not even the "uncensored" BDs of Cross Ange (a show heavily reliant on sexuality and fanservice) have nipples; that is mind boggling.

I think in that case maybe the uncensored version of Valkyrie Drive could be the show for you....

Actually, you rarely see male nipples either, and there's even more shows where that occurs.

The only example of male nipples in anime I can think of is in Grisaia, Fruit I believe. I don't think it was censored either. But really who wants to see male nipples?
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
There's plenty of male nipple action in Milky Holmes courtesy of resident narcissist Twenty:

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Is he stretching them out like they were rubber?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
There's plenty of male nipple action in Milky Holmes courtesy of resident narcissist Twenty:

Oh god yes, in the first two seasons they boldly went with nipples where no man had gone before.... That was hilarious.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
consignia wrote:

Oh god yes, in the first two seasons they boldly went with nipples where no man had gone before.... That was hilarious.

They also had nipples in The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys. One of them got shaved off, though....
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
how can we have a censorship topic without mentioning yabuki kentaro? too bad this is aobut pubic hair and he does not seem to be a fan of it, otherwise he would have geniously sneaked somein tolove ru, like he has done with vaginas.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
like all h-mangaka must keep the uncensored versions

some do that in case their manga gets picked up by someone outside of japan.

Zac wrote:
I take responsibility for the typo, it's been fixed now.

should have blamed autocorrect, like everyone else does.

GregoriusU wrote:
There was also Bill 156 of the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance approved by the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly in 2011

from my understanding that is only affecting sexually explicit loli and incest manga that is published on not-adult-only magazines, and the law only ordains them to put them in adult only magazines instead.

which effectively kills their market.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

This idea of not showing nipples is beyong stupid. And it's a recent one. If you look at anime from the seventies, eighties and nineties there was no problem with drawing and showing nipples in mainstream anime. Kid's anime.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
To this day, Perfect Blue is the only anime I've seen pubic hair in.

I remember how shocked I was too. Razz
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Darn it. You changed the title. It was good while it lasted.

angelmcazares wrote:
Not even the "uncensored" BDs of Cross Ange (a show heavily reliant on sexuality and fanservice) have nipples; that is mind boggling.

And the funny thing about CA related to this article is that pubic hair is mentioned, but the characters are squeaky clean down there.

As for the nipples, it is truly a sin that the BD's don't have it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting question!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the fascinating article, Justin.

This has been a topic I've been wondering about for a number of years. As a female consumer of anime and other stylized Asian art, I've found myself acutely aware of the exclusion of pubic hair on female characters and felt that to be odd, that the absence stands out like a sore thumb.

Interestingly, the handful of times when I have seen pubic hair included I'm taken aback for I believe the very reason you mentioned; as strange as it is, you get used to seeing something or not seeing something a certain way, and when that preconceived notion is upended it's surprising (I personally equated the feeling to the one I had the first time I saw full-frontal in a feature film, as I had been so used to scenery censorship prior to that).
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Disney's Hunchback of Notre-Dame and being impressed how Quasimodo's arm hair wasn't just casually drawn on, but stayed consistent frame to frame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4