• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Anime Characters Have Pubic Hair?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm kind of surprised creators and other members of staff don't sneak home uncensored copies. I would have thought that'd be the number one thing to do once production wraps up; like all h-mangaka must keep the uncensored versions for themselves and close friends (not to mention having the raw version in case they ever need to re-release and and are allowed to change the censors.)

Since most manga is digital now, the uncensored version is saved with a publisher's files. They get the original art, then just add a censored layer to the digital files.

Older hentai manga though some artist just drew the censorship in it themselves.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty interesting topic. To be honest I didn't even know that there was any non-hentai anime that was showing pubic hair. If anything I haven't seen anything. But of the amount of "hentai" that I've watched (which are from the 90's) have a nice patch of grass. But you see it more on the males than females. But it's there. But yet breasts and nipples are everywhere. Either simplified to becoming detailed over the years. Folks may remember that Urushihara was the early 80's-90's master of it of semi-realistic nipples. I often found it odd because the stylisations would kind of having me looking in two different directions. Because he's glossing on one part but the characters are stylized. But then that's what made him unique. Umetsu, is another but for some reason it works for him despite his characters looking like creepy China dolls.

Think the first time I saw what looked like pubic hair was in the Photon manga. But I looked at it as still being on the safe side. But if you go with Mr. Nishimaki of Blue Eyes, well you get what you wanted to see.

My only curiosity is that with adult books why go through the trouble of censoring stuff with a ink stroke here and a stroke there when you can still clearly see what's going on? In the Elven Bride manga, guys are walking around with big ol' blackened billy clubs and the women are shaved.

I do have to laugh at Maeda. I guess after censoring your stuff so much you get used to it. It's like the scales have been lifted from one's eyes.

Personally, I found it kind of hilarious on how censorship is done. Like things being done behind a fog or a box or bars. It's called strategic censorship. I think Bible Black and Angel Blade were the only one's that I saw that went full throttle. But then I forgot that when Obari is at the helm all types of craziness happen.

But to be honest I never thought folks would be that interested. And yes I wondered about that too that often "hairy" legs or "a$$es" usually end up being for shock value. I don't mind so long as it's a toned one. I would like some male pubes in my anime. I don't mind. They can be as hairy as they like, with gold nice pendulum with brass swinging in the breeze.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
My only curiosity is that with adult books why go through the trouble of censoring stuff with a ink stroke here and a stroke there when you can still clearly see what's going on? In the Elven Bride manga, guys are walking around with big ol' blackened billy clubs and the women are shaved.

If you mean those tiny thin black lines, I am certain it's to fulfill some legal requirement or some ratings classification where they state that something must be blocked with a censor-bar (or something equivalent) but never specified how much must be censored.

It's the equivalent of those nanosecond-long bleeps in the middle of a swear word you hear on late-light American TV. No one's fooled on what word it is. Everybody can hear it. But the bleeps are there to keep a TV-14 show from becoming a TV-MA show (and getting additional restrictions placed on it thanks to that).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

If you mean those tiny thin black lines, I am certain it's to fulfill some legal requirement or some ratings classification where they state that something must be blocked with a censor-bar (or something equivalent) but never specified how much must be censored.

It's the equivalent of those nanosecond-long bleeps in the middle of a swear word you hear on late-light American TV. No one's fooled on what word it is. Everybody can hear it. But the bleeps are there to keep a TV-14 show from becoming a TV-MA show (and getting additional restrictions placed on it thanks to that).

I think that's the best analogy that I've heard. You know what it is but yet "that's not what it is". My friend and I used to laugh at doujins and adult comics I collected because it was just too damn funny. Long gone are the days of 'Cream Lemon' when you had guys waving glowing "Schwartz" around. Laughing Laughing
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Long gone are the days of 'Cream Lemon' when you had guys waving glowing "Schwartz" around.

Are you sure?
I do not know what is happening with anime, because no new hentai anime has been licensed for years, but some hentai magazines are still using that extreme censoring.
The latest issue of Comic Sigma has what some are calling "light saber" censoring.

I have not bought any new licensed hentai manga for a long time, so I do not know if the local publishers are printing the uncensored versions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Long gone are the days of 'Cream Lemon' when you had guys waving glowing "Schwartz" around.

Are you sure?
I do not know what is happening with anime, because no new hentai anime has been licensed for years, but some hentai magazines are still using that extreme censoring.
The latest issue of Comic Sigma has what some are calling "light saber" censoring.

I have not bought any new licensed hentai manga for a long time, so I do not know if the local publishers are printing the uncensored versions.

I'm not really sure either. I'm just making a comparison to the days of old vs the more slicker productions. But I have to keep in mind that those productions were censored. Thing is when they get ported over the "filter" comes off.

"Light Sabering?" LOL. That is funny. I didn't realize they were still using that technique in some cases. Actually there was a group that did subbing for CL some years back. They started the first releases with mosaics and then later went back and resubbed the un-censored versions that were released in a remastered boxset. They never finished. I didn't even realize the franchise had gone that far, with practically 40+ features to boot. I'm surprised that no one has looked into trying to release release older adult titles. Discotek would be a perfect candidate if they had an branch that specialized in that sort of thing. But then again it's a niche title and then you have to think about what the company gains in revenue. A crowdfunding source would work for a one shot deal.

Yeah, I noticed that too that there hasn't been a lot of "adult" titles released in awhile. The few that have it's trickle here and a trickle there. But then as a person who doesn't collects titles like that I don't think I'm knowledgeable to say whether that's the case. Someone like yourself or anyone else that is in the know would have a better ideal. It's also good to ask the publisher as to why. But most of what I own (which are less than 20 titles) are from the 90's and later, and they were chosen based on site reviews and previewing.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll hazard a guess things will "improve" after 2020. Wink
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I just chalk it up to beauty standards. Anime characters are usually the "ideal" look and unless that character is a big, burly bear then body hair just looks weird, pubes included. It's also seen as unhygienic because having a huge bush can mean you just don't give a crap about cleaning down there which is a bit perplexing since in Japan women shaving their pubic area implies that she's lose. Still trying to wrap my head around that. Confused

One genre of manga though doesn't skimp around when it comes to this and that's bara. If you want hairy men and like them doing the kink to fellow hairy burly men then look no further. This doesn't apply to me lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4