• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime's 1st Video Teases 2016 Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
I can't say that the animation looks /good/, but it's passable at least. I'll watch it for the continued story if nothing else (and that music!)

My biggest worry is how well CG is gonna handle the more emotional moments. Low budget 3D animation doesn't do realistic facial expressions very well.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
Looks like a bad time really...

JDude042 wrote:
I guess Kentarou Itou is in no hurry to get the ball rolling and progress the story, you asshole. Evil or Very Mad

The voice actor?
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
The cgi looks like its from ps2 era... Like ps2 cut scenes. They really need to really use current cgi if they're going to use cgi at all.[/url]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
The Berserk community greatly disliked this trailer yet i am reserving further judgment. The promo music is crap but the animation quality and style looks better than the previous 2D/CG monstrosity despite the frame-rate but that´s not why i am here. The scripts need to waterproof and i can´t judge them without watching the new project. They nailed the gore though! Going CG isn´t that bad an idea in itself due to the format´s ability for more fluid motion on a budget and the dynamic camera movement. Star Wars CW/Rebels and Green Lantern look amazing but i became a fan due to the stories been told so we will see. Studio Kuro hm? Off to google!

I myself (i am Netflix in this scenario) would have hired Polygon Pictures and would have adapted a rewritten Vol.1-3 with the never animated flashback to Gut´s childhood. I would then have waited for the international reception to then go on arc by arc. A truly worthy adaptation is still more than a decade away anyway... Madhouse or IG would be ideal or maybe even an American studio.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Very good teaser, looks and feels just right, but with that frame-cutting it'll be unwatchable for me. Quickest way to lose me as a viewer/consumer, no matter how good everything else is.
maCSlate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
Great! Another Berserk CGI monstrosity I'll stop watching after a few episodes, one movie or whatever.
Thanks for nothing.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Being a huge Berserk fan I'll take whatever I can get at this point. It's not like we're getting Tankōbon volume 38 anytime soon...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
I'm in the "will watch anyway" camp, but, man... Hopefully, the CGI will look better in the final product.

Pretty much where I'm at. I've wanted to see more animated Berserk for several years now, so I'll take it, but seeing more CGI is disappointing. I don't think anyone was pleased with how the CGI turned out in the movies, so more of it seems like a mistake. I suppose my biggest concern is that since the first footage we see is fully CGI, it seems like they are doubling down on using it.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, thanks for the preview. Now I know I'll avoid this like the black plague. If they can't stop using CG for Berserk, then they shouldn't make more anime of it. Looks horrendous, worse than PS2 graphics, really.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know who this Kuro studio or production company is? I haven´t found anything but the name. The armor is still wrong for the specific scene the trailer adapts...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't mind the CGI that much. The cameras angles and dynamic movement were nice and the actual rendering has this kind of gritty feel to it that works well for Berserk. And let's be real here, as highly lauded as the 1997 series was (and is) it looked like ass, traditional animation or no. It's the story of Berserk that's always been the truly great part, and as long as this adaptation captures it well, I have no real issues.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
More like Studio Kuso...
I'll try to give this a watch, but if the whole thing is on the level of that teaser, I probably won't get past the first episode/movie/whatever.
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
"I cringe, Mr. Mayor."
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
as highly lauded as the 1997 series was (and is) it looked like ass, traditional animation or no.
I disagree with that. The 1997 series looked fantastic to me, especially for a TV series. I can't recall myself ever thinking it looked bad while watching it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
as highly lauded as the 1997 series was (and is) it looked like ass, traditional animation or no.
I disagree with that. The 1997 series looked fantastic to me, especially for a TV series. I can't recall myself ever thinking it looked bad while watching it.
You're joking right? The recycled animation footage, the still frames that litter every fight. Even though Rurouni Kenshin(for exmple as it was around the same time) had some god awful animation at times(that one where they went on a train really sticks out) it had some pretty good animation for the fights. And that is comparing it to a show which budget had to be stretched for a 95 episodes, comparing to a show that had the same episode count and you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK38WzlNvfk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4