• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation in Japan on Blu-ray Disc/DVD by Series: 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It still surprised me that UtaPri S3 is still on the top considering how crappy season 3 was. The best Utapri was undoubtly the 2nd season, it sold alot too and that was beautiful then Maji love revo came up as a disappointment, DarthVader brought back the script director of Utapri X.

Another thing 2 why they sell alot is Utapri has a very large fanbase(mostly female lol) and the female market have less market competition compared to male market, Broccoli is just quiet about their sales but they do sell alot ... And yes I have a hunch to why they never mention their sales unlike Love Live! who mentions everything lol, Broccoli is trying not to compete with Otomate which is a bigger otome-game-dev company but the 2 firms are indeed rivals, but Broccoli is just staying on the safe side because Otomate likes to compete alot. After Utapri got popular Otomate released a hella ton of 3 year in a row of Animes basely from their games(Rejet is affiliated too yes) and it all started after they announced the anime adaptation of Amnesia.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

While I technically understand what you say, there is no denying that every single franchise in the list has been a big hit and a best-seller all around. From the top 5 UtaPri sold around 35K average, V1 alone broke the 60K mark, Yokai Watch is massive in Japan and Kurobas S3 is doing 15K average. I don't really think the list is being in any way deceitful in expressing which were the biggest sellers of the year

Yeah, I agree. I'm not trying to argue that these series weren't successful, or that the article is deliberately deceiving people. I just think that it's a pretty bad way to depict the top sellers. At best it gives a general idea of what is popular, at worst, someone is going to misinterpret it and use it to create a list like Goboiano.. I'm getting too worked up about it, I know. Rolling Eyes
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ergh. I hate lists like this. Goboiano did a similar one a few months ago about the lowest selling anime. It doesn't take into account the number of volumes for sale at all. Yeah, FSN only sold 76k copies, but there were only two box sets released, in comparison to Saekano directly below it, which had seven volumes. It's just a really meaningless kind of list if gross revenue isn't looked at.

Well let's just blame Oricon for only listing sold units and then blame ANN for outsourcing it lol.

If we compare this to the Hallyu-Korea Oricon would be obviously MNET. In Korea big music ent companies each promotes/releases albums in a different way based from the artists demand. They release in full Albums, mini albums, re packaged, 1 album can also be released as 9 versions and streaming sites records all unit sold,but never the gross revenue. Why? because every gross revenues are kept confidential unless the company boastes about it, *coughs* Love Live. Each albums have different price range, each GR's r also depending from the overall sales, Obviously Full albums(or box sets) sells higher because it's pricier than the normal release, in Japan truthfully if you release 5 versions and 1 bundled, plus the special extra epsiodes and OAD's itll be obvious that it will sell alot, but the "Demand" is everything, if the anime was released in 5 versions and didn't quite sell not to mention GR is posted and not the units , that's a huge as* embarrassment might as well keep that as confidential, at least that's what the world think.[/b]
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Ergh. I hate lists like this. Goboiano did a similar one a few months ago about the lowest selling anime. It doesn't take into account the number of volumes for sale at all. Yeah, FSN only sold 76k copies, but there were only two box sets released, in comparison to Saekano directly below it, which had seven volumes. It's just a really meaningless kind of list if gross revenue isn't looked at.

Well let's just blame Oricon for only listing sold units and then blame ANN for outsourcing it lol.

I'm not blaming anyone, it's just a little frustrating seeing people on Facebook sharing this article with comments like "looks like Tsukimonogatari killed the monogatari franchise" or "Fate was only the 23rd highest seller?" It's not an accurate portrayal of the actual successful of these properties and people are taking it the wrong way. Can't help that, I guess.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm not blaming anyone, it's just a little frustrating seeing people on Facebook sharing this article with comments like "looks like Tsukimonogatari killed the monogatari franchise" or "Fate was only the 23rd highest seller?" It's not an accurate portrayal of the actual successful of these properties and people are taking it the wrong way. Can't help that, I guess.

Same feel bro, it is a little frustrating that you couldnt knock some sense to these peeps like 'hey it wouldnt hurt not to comment about the units they sold but the money they made '

It's annoying actually, I also see this on twitter someone was saying "no sh*t! DRRR RIP YOOO utter dissapointment underhyped series!" I also saw some Netz talking about how Tsuki ruined the monogatari franchise or again comparing it to bakemonogatari =_=. I seriously want to punch them on their private parts.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Fujoshi power!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Frozen still sold 140k after that record-breaking year.
Despicable Me placed 3 on the list. They really love that franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2