• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese Students Really Go On Huge School Trips?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemurs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Just wondering but wasn't the trip in K-on! paid for out of their own pockets rather than something part funded by the school?

Their class trip (toward the start of season 2) wasn't paid for out-of-pocket like their graduation present trip was (the movie).
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One thing that we did do throughout all grades that I have rarely seen depicted in anime, though, is same-day field trips.

One Sunday morning in July 2012 I visited the Daigo Fukuryū Maru aka Lucky Dragon No. 5 and there was both a junior high school group in uniform and a younger group visiting. Both groups were very quiet and attentive.

It would be good for more anime to be depicting trips like that.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I went to small-er religious schools in the US where there were only two classes per grade so it was pretty common for us to have grade-wide trips, I remember that my school in Cleveland brought half the school (think it was grade four or five and up) to a baseball game each spring which was fun. Didn't have overnight school trips until middle school however and by that point I was in the south and I always got the impression that the schools I went to there were a bit wealthier than than my old ones in the north. In seventh grade we had a three or four day trip to the mountains where we stayed in cabins at a summer camp, in eighth grade there was an overnight trip and then a second overnight trip to the beach which was again three days and we stayed in cabins in what I think was normally a summer camp, I don't think you could opt-out of those trips.

My high school was bigger (still pretty small but we had 5 or 6 homerooms per grade then) and there was week-long, spring break trip to Disney World in Florida for graduating seniors but despite how high the school's tuition was you still had to pay for the trip so I didn't go (I also didn't want to really give up my week off to spend it with my classmates).
Some of the clubs also had trips though, I went on a couple of Model UN trips (two in-state and one out of state, two of these were multi-day trips) and one with the marine biology club which was to the beach where we camped out in tents (until they got flooded out, that was a school trip). All of those you had to pay for at least some of the trip (hotel and food for sure, I can't remember the rest) but none of those trips seemed really extravagant.
escahime65

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
We went to Chicago a few times in high school to see the museums and once for a choir competition but it was pretty boring overall. There were plans to go to Orlando for choir but it never happened. Sad
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Japan having a national high speed rail network does kinda facilitate inter-city school trips..

Yeah, it would help make non-air transportation for large ground groups easier between well-known tourist centers within the (relatively small) country, da bums. Confused

Apart from that, our school was limited to anything within a day's bus ride:
We had a sixth-grade field trip to Boston, an hour and a half away, to do a day's class assignments digging up different info quests at different locations (ours was the Aquarium).
Fortunately, I'd been to the city enough times on the commuter train, I knew the all the subway stations inside and out, and could look like the cool native guide. Cool
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
my elementary school had a big trip for 5th graders where we went to the museum of since and industry in Chicago (we're in Michigan) that everyone looked forward to. it was just a day trip tho, much like the how they'd take 5th graders to Windmill Island in town too.

the middle school I went to had more trips for each year. like a Friday to Monday camping trip for 6th graders and then there were optional (and more expensive and with limits as to how many students could attend) trips for 7th and 8th graders like going to Washington DC for a couple days or their yearly 8 day rain forest trip (the year I went it was to Tortuguero National Park in Costa Rica).

my high school was more focused on local and school spirit events (I don't know why, all our sports teams usually sucked and lost more times than they won... it was kind of a joke when I was there people'd bet not if we'd win or lose but rather how much we'd lose by).
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm jealous of all you guys. I remember going to amusement parks and museums and that's it. All local and no hotel stays. My highschool has since been shut down, but my HS years were both boring and crazy in a the kind of stuff only-seen-in-movies-for-troubled-schools way.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My (Midwestern U.S.) school was pretty much the same as Greed1914's when it came to school trips: there were no grade-wide trips that were even overnight (much less multiday), but performing arts classes (especially marching band) and occasionally sports teams and foreign language groups would do them. Almost without exception they involved extra cost for the families.

One thing that we did do throughout all grades that I have rarely seen depicted in anime, though, is same-day field trips.

I also went to school in the Midwest, maybe it's a regional thing? Field trips were pretty standard since trips were usually only one or two counties away from school.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I've seen these school trips first hand during several of my visits to Japan. Out of all the places I've visited, Kiyomizu-dera in Kyoto seemed to be the most popular destination for middle and high school students. My first visit there felt like all the schools in Japan decided to visit.

Unlike Randamo, I've never been bothered by any of these students.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
In middle and high school (I went to a private Christian school from 7th-12th grade), we had these stupid five day ~*team building*~ trips at the beginning of 7th and 9th grade where we'd go to a summer camp in the sticks and bond with each other.

BUT I did go to France for two weeks with my French class in the summer between 11th and 12th grade, which kinda sounds like a class trip. It was FANTASTIC.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I only went on two "class" trips. One was a weekend trip to the state capitol in 6th grade for students in the Gifted Program. I wasn't nearly as impressed with meeting the Governer as I was with the moon rock in the rotunda that we could actually touch. (This was 1975 in Florida.). The second, also the Gifted Program, was a week at a diving camp (kind of a summer camp) in the Keys in '76.

Going to school mostly in Florida and North Carolina (Class of '81) that was pretty much how it worked. Special groups got trips, funded by by the parents or fundraisers. There weren't any whole grade or class trips of note. I'm setting aside day trips (field trips) to a factory or museum or whatever during school hours as being not of note by definition.

Though I will note in passing that even if the factory was still active, I doubt they'd have field trips to a cigarette factory today. (Even though that factory built the town... Probably three quarters of the class had a parent or relative or neighbor who worked in the factory.)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Being from the Bay Area, my high school graduation trip was to Great America (back when it was still called that), an amusement park.

AFAIK, it is the student's family who pays for these trips. I doubt schools have the funds to cover the costs of all students. I have friends who went to trips to domestic locations, and also friends who went overseas to places like the States, Australia, etc.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
My public school years took place in Texas, with easy access to Sea World and Six Flags. There was one big "senior" event where everyone could go to the movies, but some of us stayed behind to study for exams. Our graduation trip was usually a Six Flags trip, but that year it was a all-night stay at Dave and Busters.

My high school was fairly affluent, despite being a public school, and we were also very, very big. Roughly 3,500 students, if memory serves. The language classes took biannual overseas trips, and the music classes took regular in-state and out of state (and occasionally biannual international) trips for competitions and/or performances, and students always stayed in modest accommodations. Those trips were either fund-raised for or paid for by parents, or both. But grade-wide trips (all freshmen, all sophomores, etc.) were always local and paid for by the school.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
My school sucked I only went on school trips though elementary school and one in middle school to the renaissance festival nothing fancy just places like the zoo and the museum but because our school was going through "financial" difficulties we couldn't go on anymore trips after the 5th grade hell I didn't even go to the prom although it was at a professional football stadium but being an outsider I couldn't get a date Sad
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
My school never had any special trips...especially none that were overnight (all of mine were day trips...no hotels). We did have school trips to amusement parks in Orlando (about 2 hours away from where I live in Tampa), but that's about the extent of it. Only one of those trips was meant to be educational (when we did an 'international week' throughout my high school and went to Epcot to do 'cultural research' on countries we chose to represent). It was definitely a fun experience that I'll always remember. I'd been there before, but not with friends or classmates, so it was definitely a different feel. In middle school, we went to Seaworld...mostly for fun at the end of the year. Otherwise, we simply went to zoos, aquariums, and other common places for field trips (nothing really exciting).

We never went to a different city such as D.C or national parks (such as The Everglades) for any educational purposes, let alone a different country. Every trip was funded and footed by the families of participating kids (it was around $30-$50 per kid). If you didn't/couldn't go, you'd be detained in the school with the teachers who didn't go (usually the un-fun teachers)...I remember most kids who couldn't go on these trips stayed home from school. I don't know if it's the same way in Japan, but I certainly don't have many varying experiences with school trips.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5