• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda Reveals Which Manga He's Most Jealous Of

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
It's cool of him not to be ashamed of liking a shoujo manga. Much different from authors like Nobuhiro Watsuki who are influenced by Sailor Moon but get all defensive and evasive about it.
Shunka Shuutou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
It's cool of him not to be ashamed of liking a shoujo manga. Much different from authors like Nobuhiro Watsuki who are influenced by Sailor Moon but get all defensive and evasive about it.

KimiUso's not shoujo, though.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:

Indeed, KimiUso is a shonen. I am curious about Watsuki and Sailor Moon though? x'D;
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Seriously...? Okay, I take back what I said.

^Sanjo Tsubame (from Rurouni Kenshin)'s design was inspired by Hotaru Tomoe, but in the notes where Watsuki admits this he refuses to name the anime and puts a disclaimer saying that it's not the sort of thing he goes out of his way to watch.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Seriously...? Okay, I take back what I said.

^Sanjo Tsubame (from Rurouni Kenshin)'s design was inspired by Hotaru Tomoe, but in the notes where Watsuki admits this he refuses to name the anime and puts a disclaimer saying that it's not the sort of thing he goes out of his way to watch.

Lol, wow, seriously? Like, Oda not reading much shojo or josei is evident and a little disappointing, but at least he isn't Watsuki level. That's just silly. (And a bit disrespectful, by the way it sounds.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well, Eiichiro Oda was once the apprentice to Nobuhiro Watsuki (I'm guessing that's who you mean), so I'm sure Watsuki rubbed off at least a liottle bit onto Oda.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, Eiichiro Oda was once the apprentice to Nobuhiro Watsuki (I'm guessing that's who you mean), so I'm sure Watsuki rubbed off at least a liottle bit onto Oda.

Hm. I forgot all about that myself. Certainly does explain a whole lot of things. Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro was also, wasn't he? (Is that why he and Oda are friends?) I feel like wheels and cogs are turning so much in my brain right now.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, no. Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro and Eiichiro Oda are about the same age, however, and had similar upbringings, and that's why the two of them clicked with each other.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Ahh, okay~.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2