• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Post a pic of your favorite Anime characters!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Suguha Kirigaya from Sword Art Online.

I'm not a huge fan of SAO, but I do love parts more than the whole. Suguha is one of those parts. I know most people hate Fairy Dance but it's my favourite arc. Suguha takes center stage and we really get into her head, her feelings for her brother, her pain knowing that he's taken, her attempts to move on, and the reality that comes crashing down on her. I think we've all experience a love that could never be at some point in our lives (for me I liked a housemate that was dating another housemate and I was stuck living with them) so her plight is relatable. She's also a strong player and the most well read of the party too.

Fubuki from Kantai Collection.

Underdogs, amirite? It actually goes double in Fubuki's case, as not only is she one in universe, she's one out of it too. Despite supposedly being the franchise's main character she's not very popular and is overshadowed by other fleet girls. She doesn't have many fan works dedicated to her, though thankfully the anime has fixed that a bit. Anyways, our adorable little heroine constantly falls down, but she always gets up again and will never give up! I'd make her my bride if I could.

Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

My Evangelion experience was quite interesting. First Misato was my favourite, then Asuka, and finally I settled on Rei. She might have been designed to be unsettling initially, but her growing humanity over the course of the series captured the hearts of many. The Rebuild movies take that up to 11 and it's amazing. Shinji/Rei OTP!

Sakura Matou from Fate/Stay Night.

A sweet caring girl who enjoys nothing more than taking care of her senpai. After reading that I know you're rolling your eyes and are ready to dismiss her as a negative female stereotype that sets gender rights back to the dark ages. But consider what this poor girl has been through (Fate/Zero & Heaven's Feel spoilers): spoiler[taken from her birth family, violated by magic worms, raped on a continuous basis by her brother, and generally has a horrific home life.] But despite all that she still reaches for happiness by Shiro's side. She is still able to smile and doesn't break. That is real strength, my friends.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll start with four characters for now.

Dr. Kenzou Tenma from Monster
While Dr. Tenma wasn't the most dynamic from this excellent cast of characters, I felt so much empathy for the man throughout the series. In the beginning, he's simply looking for answers to the crazy events that's left him on the run. By the end, I felt exhausted from the vast journey throughout Germany and so was Dr. Tenma. He felt like an honest to goodness person you want to survive and to see how his morals stack up against whatever's thrown at him.

Misato Katsuragi from Neon Genesis Evangelion
When discussing the "Hedgehog Dilemma" with Ritsuko, Misato's solution was to find a distance that prevented the person from getting too close or too far from warmth. I can't help but deeply relate to this notion of dealing with other people but, knowing when to back away when things get painful. She starts out as this "big sister type" leader but, just like everyone in this damn series, Misato is not completely rock solid. She has her flaws (heavy drinker), but what I liked about Misato was her unapologetic attitude and spontaneous thinking. Near the end of the TV series with all her baggage in view, I never lost my respect for Misato.

Shino "Sinon" Asada from Sword Art Online: Phantom Bullet Arc
As a whole SAO is an average Sci-Fi/Fantasy semi harem anime that seriously needs spoiler[to stop sexually harassing women] just so Mr. Mary Sue can look like a "badass" saving them. Then here comes Sinon with her sniper rife and I was finally enjoying the series...for a little while. One thing I enjoyed about Sinon was that she came off as a confident gamer while coping from a past trauma by using virtual reality as a form of therapy (clever in theory but wonky in practice). Flawed yet charming, Sinon felt like she could have been the sole protagonist and make this arc more character driven story as opposed to the psudeo-detective "Woe is Kirito" story. Shame they wasted such great potential.

Killua Zoldyck from Hunter x Hunter (2011)
There are so many, many white haired bishounen in anime that it's hard to find one who wasn't obviously evil. Killua, at first, fit the bill so perfectly in the Hunter Exam Arc that I wondered how could Gon possibly remain friend/rivals without the kid stabbing him in the back? Turns out that Killua was raised to only kill and, by forming a trusting relationship with Gon, he grows into a person. There were just so many joyful and tearful moments with Killua that it would take too long to fully articulate why I love this guy. Also, the kid is quite stylish~ Cool
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Next character....

If there was an awarding definition for "precious cinnamon roll" Full Moon's title heroine, Kouyama Mitsuki takes it above all shoujo protagonists (and they would let her without protest). Man, where do I even begin with this child? She's adorable, just look at that smile. It's enough to put baby bunnies into a diabetic coma. (lolwut).

Mitsuki is a very brave and sweet little girl who risks it all for the sake of her impossible dreams and impossible love. The words "give up" are not even in her vocabulary. Even when the odds are a million to one, she just keeps shining brightly and powering through. When she sees someone looking depressed, she always tries to cheer them up. She has a habit of bringing a smile to literally everyone she meets.
Now a big part of this heart-warming twelve-year-old orphan's tale strongly reminds me of a much older story with the exact same kind of heroine known as Pollyanna. Mitsuki has a very similar personality to this infamous novel character in that she brings happiness to people who have lost theirs through some way or another by getting to know them and trying to help them see the light again. Each is a struggle but it normally turns out okay. Until we get the big reveal, in the most amazing twist of irony...
spoiler[Tragedy strikes and BOTH girls get completely broken in health and in spirit and they no longer believe in their own words. So yes, it's now up to all of those she was kind to to push her back on her feet and walk forward again. And both outcomes are very rewarding and spiritually uplifting like "Wow, this is so awesome! Look how many people are here for her!".]

.........geeze, it just makes you want to break into the theme song to Annie and I'm so not doing that right now. Anime hyper Btw she is ALSO an amazing singer so that would actually be appropriate. Anime hyper
I would so love to have a little sister like Mitsuki :3 How can you not love "ray-of-sunshine" characters? ^^ They just steal your heart!!
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
Did someone say Fubuki? This is why I wanted to keep it a secret......to avoid the thieves......

Anyway......

Misaki Suzuhara from Angelic Layer. This is the first character I truly connected with. Her determination to rise to the top to fight the champion she was dazzled by made me root for her and 'boo' at other competitors. Later, when it was revealed spoiler[that the champion was her mother and her dream changed into wanting to reunite with her through fighting] my support became stronger. I couldn't understand why anyone would try to stop her from reuniting with her mother. So yeah. That's my reasons.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
Did someone say Fubuki? This is why I wanted to keep it a secret......to avoid the thieves......

Oh please. She was mine way before you came along.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Hikari14 wrote:

Lies. I liked her way before you.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Do you think we can add in a few villains?

One thing that stuck out to me about Psycho-Pass was the character of Shogo Makishima. If the story were like any other dystopian narrative, he'd probably be the hero. I'm not kidding you; Makishima would be the hero of the story. The narrative is even sympathetic to his cause, albeit not to Draco-in-Leather-Pants levels. However, what makes him a villain is his utter ruthlessness in taking down Sibyl, to the point where killing innocent civilians is A-OK in his book. One particular moment that stood out to me was spoiler[Makishima murdering Akane's best friend in front of her eyes, all just to proove a point.] He's definitely one of the best Urobuchi characters.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Considering these two pics, I suppose I have a thing for the "kind, clueless and misunderstood" character type. Laughing

Eikichi Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka) is a former leader of a biker gang and tough as they come, but when he decides to become a social studies teacher he is faced with his toughest challenge yet. The principal of a private school hires Onizuka to be the homeroom teacher of a notoriously troublesome class of middleschool kids, hoping that his unusual methods will help him succeed where others have failed. The, still immature, former delinquent must now find a way to earn his students' respect, while dealing with the many problems they cause.

Sawako "Sadako" Kuronuma (Kimi ni Todoke) starts out as an outsider, without any friends. Her shyness and poor social skills, combined with her resemblance to a creepy character from the Ring movie trilogy, makes the other students uncomfortable when around her. Sawako's classmate Shota is the first to really connect with her and helps to introduce her to the other students. She then begins to admire his kindness, which leads to romantic feelings. The image above shows her surrounded by her two closest friends, Ayane and Chizuru.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Lies. I liked her way before you.

Only one way to settle this: bareknuckle boxing, best of three rounds. You and me.

Anyways, villains? Villains.

Rau Le Cruset from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED.

For most of the show he was a suave, cool character but at the end he reveals his true colours as an omnicidal maniac. And boy is he a ton of fun! Both his English and Japanese voice actors really nail both sides of him and deliver great performances. He speaks of how humans will destroy themselves eventually and he's just speeding up the process. The thing is: he's right. Humanity just can't seem to break free of its negative aspects. Kira can't even come up with a counter argument beyond "Shut up! People aren't like that!" Rau might have lost the battle of robots, but he won the battle of words. And speaking of robots, the Providence Gundam is badass.

Kirei Kotomine from Fate/Stay Night.

He's another villain who's a ton of fun for how dastardly he is, but Fate/Zero and Heaven's Feel shed a whole new light on him and reveal how tragic he is. He was raised as a righteous man, knowing right from wrong but for some reason he was never satisfied doing the right thing. He jumped from job to job, church to magic, looking for something to make him happy. He excelled at everything he did but never had any satisfaction. It wasn't until he met Gilgamesh that he could fully embrace what made him happy: the suffering of others. But was a being such as himself really allowed to exist? And so he set out to validate his own existence.

The thing with psychopaths is that they have no moral compass. They do whatever they want and feel no guilt because to them their own satisfaction is the only 'right thing' in the world. Kirei lacks that. He knows he needs to do good and as hard as he tries, doing what he knows is the 'wrong' thing is what brings him happiness. He could have been a hero, but the poor guy was doomed. Yet there's still something affable about him and even Shiro admits that he does like him. Had circumstances been different they might even have been friends.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Maya Wei from Oban Star Racers has a significant place in my book.

Not only is she a motivation for MC to do what she did, she also was what I consider a perfect character trope. A loving wife and mother, as well as the one to care about others. When she was spoiler[dying, she still worried about her opponent rather than herself]. Yes, you read that correctly.
That will tell you how big a heart she had.

Ironically, her spoiler[death made me have an immense hatred for a main villain], which is still there. I want to kill him with a spoon even after all this time.

{Slightly edited the post. ~nobahn}
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm going with a couple of new favourites first up.

Stella Vermillion is a character I enjoyed watching. Yeah, out of the two stereotypical LN anime, I really liked Chivalry of a Failed Knight.

You could slap on the "warrior princess" tag. Being a tsun doesn't hurt her in my eyes, and I was happy with how honest she'd be. Especially when Ikki was fighting Kihara, and her speech that led to the climax of that fight.

Now, seeing as I just finished binging the whole FMP series (close to 50 episodes) within the last week...Chidori Kaname became one of my favourites!

Happy I decided to check out the show, did it off the back of the news of a new season and the fact I ended up paying about $40AUD for all 3 seasons of the show (thanks to a massive Madman sale last November).

Now, if only I could find that edited Eupho image where someone changed Reina into Haruhi...
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Villains, huh.

Kirei Kotomine from Fate/Zero

This is definitely a case where the start of darkness is far more interesting than villainy. In Fate/Zero, Kirei started as a relatively moral man--or, rather, a man who attempted to be moral--who simply listened to his father and the church--morally ambiguous, but taking a reasonable course--and did what he thought was right.

Through this series, and through his conversations with Gilgamesh, he started to explore additional possibilities--that he was a sadist who enjoyed the pain of others. It was fascinating to see, as Gilgamesh put it, Kirei expand his horizons and try inflicting suffering on others and finally descend into villainy.

By contrast, he was merely a mustache twirling villain by the time of Fate/Stay Night--effective, but far less interesting to watch.

Chiibi wrote:
She's adorable, just look at that smile. It's enough to put baby bunnies into a diabetic coma

Rabbits are surprisingly intolerant toward high levels of sugar. In fact, the carrot that rabbits supposedly love according to pop culture contains too much sugar--sufficient to give a rabbit diabetes if it is on that diet for too long.

Last edited by Raftina on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
By contrast, he was merely a mustache twirling villain by the time of Fate/Stay Night--effective, but far less interesting to watch.

The Heaven's Feel movie will hopefully fix that.

Well, since some one posted Chidori (can't stand her) I'll have to post about the superior Tessa later.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Considering that it's a movie, I have very little expectation that it would explore the issue in any depth. Not that it would make much of a difference: The contrast between Kirei in Fate/Zero and Heaven's Feel is very much that of show vs tell--seeing Kirei's start of darkness vs being informed of its effects after the fact.

Are we posting image responses now? I would post Julis as a response, but although I like her, she isn't among my favorite characters.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'd say at least make sure they stand out to you in some way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5