• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
The single episode synopses are a smart idea. I imagine the writers are happy about being able to dive straight into the commentary.

That might be an overestimation. I actually found the first couple to be a little awkward to do, as if you're prompt at writing up a series then you have to guess at what Hope is or isn't describing in the episode summary. That should smooth out as the Preview Guide progresses, though, and I'll be happy to put up with that for sake of reducing the redundancy that people always complain about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The thumbnail used for Myriad Colors Phantom World couldn't be more perfect. Thanks, Theron Laughing
Random 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Well this season isn't exactly off to a bang :/ Can't say I was particularly impressed by either of the shows I watched. For the record, I usually give KyoAni and obligatory watch but even I couldn't muster up the energy to watch the generic light novel titty show so I gave it a pass. Other than that:

Prince of Stride: 3/5 - The only reason I'm watching this is because of the cute guys, I'll fully admit that. Other than that, er, it's pretty when it wants to be? And I kinda like the art style? and the parkour is interesting I guess? It isn't great, but it's perfectly suitable for what it is. Needs to cut out on that awful comedy though.

HaruChika: 2.5/5 - Aw man this show really annoys me, I want to like it more than I do. Without spoiling, it's really rare we see characters quite like Haruta, and it's a character we'll say that I really relate to in that respect, so I want to like it for doing something not many other shows can claim to do. On the other hand, the rest of the show is, er, not great. Again, cut the bad comedy, please.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some individuals, like the almost-certainly-a-genius Naoko Yamada, go from directing carefully observed slice of life (K-ON!) to well-composed drama (Sound! Euphonium)...

But, Nick Creamer, Naoko Yamada didn't direct Sound Euphonium... that was Tatsuya Ishihara.

Quote:
And then there's Tatsuya Ishihara, who apparently just wants to see some bouncing boobs.

Yeah, that one Razz
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
Some individuals, like the almost-certainly-a-genius Naoko Yamada, go from directing carefully observed slice of life (K-ON!) to well-composed drama (Sound! Euphonium) to likely-to-be-stunning anime films (A Silent Voice). Others, like Yasuhiro Takemoto, trade off between rousing dramas (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya) and lighter fare (Amagi Brilliant Park).

And then there's Tatsuya Ishihara, who apparently just wants to see some bouncing boobs.

Not sure if I misinterpreted this(maybe you were referring to a specific scene?), but according to the ANN Encyclopedia, Tatsuya Ishihara directed Sound Euphonium! and Naoko Yamada just did some storyboards and episode 1.
Bobduh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
But, Nick Creamer, Naoko Yamada didn't direct Sound Euphonium... that was Tatsuya Ishihara.

Yamada was actually also a general director on Euphonium (though that's tricky to see from the ANN credits, since her title's the one in Japanese at the bottom). Considering their relative styles (Chuunibyou versus K-On!!, for example), I'd say Euphonium comes off as far more of a Yamada work than an Ishihara one.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Bobduh wrote:
Yamada was actually also a general director on Euphonium (though that's tricky to see from the ANN credits, since her title's the one in Japanese at the bottom). Considering their relative styles (Chuunibyou versus K-On!!, for example), I'd say Euphonium comes off as far more of a Yamada work than an Ishihara one.

I personally saw a bit of Clannad in Euphonium, at least in terms of how it was directed, and even if it feels more Yamada than Ishihara, kicking Ishihara out of the equation seems a bit unfair. As far as we know, he could have been even a bigger influence in Euphonium than Ishihara.

Still, Chuunibyou and Haruhi were good shows on their own right, and I had fun with Nichijou as well (a 0% fanservice show) so the "Ishihara just wants to see boobs bouncing around" statement irked me the wrong way too.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Phantom World was okay-ish, although the only bit that honestly interested me was the morning scene, the pixeled world for the yet to awake main character looked great, and so more how it gets detailed along with the MC waking up. Other than that, only the Kirby Girl interested me, but other than that it's just fine. The boob show was kinda like out of Amaburi but it's sort of a misfit here? Not sure.

Prince Stride is along the same lines, not extremely impressive but it did what it was supposed to do, like Phantom World. All in all, just gotta look forward for something interesting.

I...don't quite get why people are calling awful jokes in Prince Stride, it seems pretty normal to me in anime; the reserved or serious looking guy invades personal space in an awkward way, the non-sport guy is sad because no one joins for his other interest, the fast-pacing guy who wants to do all at once but it's just too quick for everyone.

In Phantom World we have the "Oh, girl eats lot, whaaat?!" and "Oh, no this, looks like a manga, let's avoid that o...damn" or "Big breast girl, flat chested, flat chested gets teased/mad, big breasts' are mentioned repeteadly by some third party". No less uncommon than the ones in Prince Stride.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
OK, I admit, the first episode of Musaigen no Phantom World clearly does not indicate any sort of serious storyline, but it still has the potential to develop into something interesting. Case in point, Clannad episode 1. No indication of anything serious at all, spent the entire time making jokes, but it turned out to be THE BIGGEST feel train in anime history. I felt that same vibe here in MnPW's first episode. The jokes are not Laugh Out Loud type, but it clearly established the show as a decent entertainment, and I am definitely going to continue following.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, looks like we'll have to wait for the summer/fall season for the good titles to start dropping.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Phantom World is, so far, the only one that I've watched, but it was actually pretty fun. It reminds me of Yo-kai Watch, but aimed at a teenage audience rather than young children.

My only real complaint is the fact that a few things are already falling into the usual cliches. Particularly the main character's role in the group. While, and it's odd to say this, I appreciate the slight bullying of him due to his nerdy nature (it gives a reason to root for him, and also makes me interested in how he ended up joining Mai's team), the fact that he's already essentially been made useless by the introduction of Reina means that he's likely just there to draw all of the girls together. While Kyon had a similar role in Haruhi, it was handled much better since he wasn't really a wet blanket of a protagonist.

I'm hoping that there's more to Haruhiko, but right now the Yo-kai Watch for teens feeling of the show, as well as KyoAni's pedigree (and the director's) has me on board for the long run. It's just likely not going to be my favourite series of the season.

Now excuse me as I finish up a few lingering series from last year, before checking out Prince of Stride and, tomorrow, Active Raid.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Nine from Terror in Resonance had left his terrorist days in the past and has turned into a leg-obsessed runner in Prince of Stride under the name of Takeru. Anyway, this show's had a mild beginning. The comedy was not that good, the characters personalities were all over the place, and there were some scenes that the colors were too bright to my eyes, especially the opening scene. The race scene was nice, though. Hopefully those get better over the course of the series.

And Haruchika, on the other hand, was quite boring. That little mistery wasn't interesting at all, and I'm having problems with the Haruta. His monotone voice makes him a boring know-it-all, and it also doesn't match with his design. He looks too young to have such voice.

Theron Martin wrote:
The most striking feature is Chika's disconcerting eyes, which seem out of place with the overall artistic scheme (unfortunately this doesn't show well in the screen shot)

It's a relief I'm not the only one who find her eyes weird. I found them quite distracting, and how on earth can her eyes have three colors?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Prince of stride was glorious!! As a track runner for my entire life up to the end of college, I can say that they portray running to be much more exciting than it actually is LOL!

But hopefully it gets more people into the track-type of sport. The race at the end of the episode was hype!!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else find the magic summoning sequences to be really weird and out of place in phantom world.
If you removed them and the one part of the limbo then the series would actually not have much of any actual fan service in it, just the implication of someone noticing something they shouldn't have been able to.

Also does anyone else really think that the eyes on quite a few of the characters in haruchika feel like they have lasers in them or something. because the main character and the teachers eyes actually kinda scare me a little bit actually
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Haruchika
Putting this in spoilers just in case someone hasn't seen it. spoiler[My Childhood Friend is My Love Rival...And He's a Boy! would make a good LN title]
I was worried the music and mystery aspects would not work well together but for the first episode they work well enough, though I'm worried about how they'll integrate the two in later eps. It seems to be a lighter mystery a la Hyouka (not that it is comparable in quality) rather than the murder mysteries of recent and ongoing older detective mysteries. At least they didn't make the one guy an okama. I'm pretty sure the instrument one of the twins referred to as a euphonium was actually a tuba, from the looks of it.

Phantom World
Certainly no Euphonium, but not too bad. Mai's boob self fondling was a bit much but I thought the limbo scene was amusing. I can understand why Nick is so down on it though, what with his beloved studio animating a genre he dislikes, though I think last season showed you shouldn't write off this admittedly weak genre.

Overall, while not as strong a start to the season as desired, considering last season started with Lances n' Masques, I'll go ahead and say this season started better than the last. Thursday looks busy, what with a couple shows dropping and Lupin III's fourth season hitting CR.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 29