• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Still, Chuunibyou and Haruhi were good shows on their own right, and I had fun with Nichijou as well (a 0% fanservice show) so the "Ishihara just wants to see boobs bouncing around" statement irked me the wrong way too.
Going by the credits of Haruhi's first season, Yutaka Yamamoto (Yamakan) played the same sort of role there that Yamada played in Euphonium. The actual term is a bit tricky to translate, since 演出 is usually translated as "episode director" in the context of anime, but Yamada and Yamakan are referred to as the respective series' シリーズ演出, or "series 演出". Since "series episode director" is nonsensical, this term is translated with other confusing terms like "series director" or "production director" (演出 is translated as "production" in the context of stage plays). The second season appears to credit Yasuhiro Takemoto as the assistant director, while in the movie he's straight up called the director, with Ishihara getting the same "chief/general director" credit Shinbo gets for every Shaft series. As for Nichijou, that one had Taichi Ishidate credited as the Vice-/Assistant director, which is why many believe that he was the more hands-on director on that series rather than Ishihara. Both Clannad and Chuunibyou were under Ishihara's complete control though, so I guess there's that.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I really really really really reaaaaaalllyyyyyyyyy don't like first impressions based on one episode. You should give it at 3, or at least 2 1/2.

Quote:
These are not intended to be blanket judgments of these series as a whole

Certainly NOT what it sounds like to me.

No matter what ANN's intention is, you get people who decide not to watch even the first episode of a show based on this 'preview guide'. Pessimism is contagious, after all. If I were an idiot, I probably wouldn't check out a show with a 2. rating given by a 'credible critic'. Others, however...

Last edited by Rika Hue on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
motormind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you people sure are confused about who directed what. The director of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu was Tatsuya Ishihara, not Yasuhiro Takemoto. Yes, the one who directed one of anime's instant classics is responsible for the crapfest called Myriad Colors Phantom World. Well, I might still give that show another chance, since it's KyoAni after all, but second episode had better show some major improvement.

I thought Haruchika was alright. I had a good laugh to when the sub I was watching it with referred to Sae's instrument as "euphonium," even though she clearly says "bass tuba." Old habits die hard, I guess.

I think it's nice how they delve into the actual music concepts themselves, instead of merely showing cute girls playing their instruments. Chika also seems to have a genuine hard time learning to play that concert flute, which is realistic, since that's not the easiest instrument she could have chosen.

The mystery angle was a bit lame, and I thought Haruta was a bit of a jerk. But the show piqued my interest, so we'll see.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
I really really really really reaaaaaalllyyyyyyyyy don't like first impressions based on one episode. You should give it at 3, or at least 2 1/2.

Quote:

Don't really know what show you're referring to, but maybe you should at least let the other 4-5 writers chime in with their opinions (though as the top page says, not every writer will cover every show, I digress) before you judge the entire system.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Don't really know what show you're referring to, but maybe you should at least let the other 4-5 writers chime in with their opinions (though as the top page says, not every writer will cover every show, I digress) before you judge the entire system.

I'm judging the system regardless, because I don't agree with it. But I can't change something that's been in place for so long. I'm mostly sad because some people will decide not to even try some shows because of this.

(I've always felt this way, just only voicing my opinion now.)

But anyway, I'm sure these posts of mine is not 'relevant' or 'on topic', so I'll leave now.

Last edited by Rika Hue on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:

Quote:

No, yeah, that's kind of not a "first impression", you don't call a first impression when you meet a person a second time. And, it's kinda hard to review episodes of 2 and a half, since that would mean cutting off half the episode.

Aaand it's most certain that after a first impression you prejudge (not necessarily in a bad way) of what may come, and you think you won't like it so you push it away, or rather you do expect a lot more so you like it, or you're just waiting to judge. Depending on who writes, there is a broad sense of opinion, if a reader decides to buy whatever reads first, then that's mostly their problem for thinking that a review is objective.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
And if a reader does or does not want to watch a show based on a review that's their choice. That's their judgment call.

And most of the show's will have multiple reviews/takes by different writer's, so the reader also has a choice of which one does or does not sound convincing to them.

I mean...what's the problem with the review at all? Unless the reviewer is misconstruing or misinterpreting some point, or willingly lying about the details, I can't really seem any real problem except disagreeing with their opinions (which entirely normal).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Since they seem to reject the very premise of the preview guide, let's leave it at that and let them leave.
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Haruchika was alright I suppose. I was quite intrigued by the music puzzles or whatever, but I'm not really a fan of the characters or art style thus far. Will give credit for having a possibly gay/bisexual male character in a recent anime that's not a yaoi/BL though.

This is the first time Funimation licensed a P.A. Works show, correct?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I am very excited for prince of stride alternative. for the sole reason that Atsuko Ishizuka is the one directing it.
I am not the target audience for this show, but she has turned trash into gold with sakurasou before. She proved she can handle stylized action with supernatual and no game no life, and that she can control narrative beats very well in hanayamata.

So I am going to keep watching prince of stride for that reason alone.

One thing no one seems to have noticed yet is apparently stride is based on an otome game and is not actual sports anime most likely.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't planning on checking out 2 out of the 3 new shows for today, but since nothing else was out I actually went ahead with all of them

Phantom World: Holy shit is this a pile of generic trash. I really don't understand how "phantoms are real" = "everything is pixelated until suddenly it isn't". Characters are a total blah of unoriginal, boring clichés. The scene where the dude tries not to be a LN cliché but ends up being a LN cliché made me roll my eyes. The gratuitous magical fondling from main girl was also ugh, and let's not even talk about boob limbo. Absolutely dropped. Not touching that thing again with a ten-foot pole. Rated 0.5/5 Even the amazing KyoAni animation is basically wasted in this

HaruChika: Honestly quite boring. I don't know if it's just me but the production doesn't look as beautiful and polished as other P.A. Works shows. I also disliked both Haruta and Chika intensely. Every time Chika said "kyuuto gaaru" I wanted to stab my own ears so I wouldn't have to hear it anymore. The mistery was honestly not interesting at all, and the solution process wasn't remotely exciting. Since I have a tight schedule this season, chances are I'm gonna end up dropping it. Rated 2/5

Prince of Stride: I agree with Nick that the writing and story was very meh, but I loved the characters and their interactions, especially the senpais. The way they teased each other felt very authentic for some reason. The actual race looked pretty great too, I particularly liked the senpai that ran first and the alternate course he took, it was cool. And the animation was cool too, you could really feel the speed when the second relays took off. I'm keeping this one, it was fun, and in spite of my doubts about this bogus sport, it actually looked pretty neat. Rated 3.5/5

Rika Hue wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I'm judging the system regardless, because I don't agree with it. But I can't change something that's been in place for so long. I'm mostly sad because some people will decide not to even try some shows because of this.

(I've always felt this way, just only voicing my opinion now.)

But anyway, I'm sure these posts of mine is not 'relevant' or 'on topic', so I'll leave now.

The system works for a lot of us. It's not about deciding to watch or not a series based on one person's opinion, but reading the comments of the five-six different reviewers (and the comments section) and deciding if what the series seems to offer is worth your time. In my case, I use it to decide whether shows I was on the fence about could be interesting. It becomes more useful as you get acquainted with the different reviewers' tastes because it gives you a better hint of how much you may or may not like something based on which reviewers liked it. In my case, I tend to align with Rebecca, Hope's and Gabriella's views (and Nick Creamer sometimes, like his preview of Phantom World), whilst I often dislike the stuff Theron likes, so I usually skip his reviews
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see a standardized synopsis at the beginning of each show's entry.

Phantom World has an interesting premise, but ugh, remove the Navi please. She's nothing but aggravating.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Hum the idea of having a love triangle with a gay/bi character is rather interesting since it means we can see stuff that's different from the usual overused tropes of romance anime (assuming I don't have to spoiler tag since it's allude to in the review). But like Lynzee point out, Haruchika is probably not the anime to do it since there also going to be spending there time on mystery and possibly music. Add on top of that the student teacher love story (which I think can be done very well but needs more time, no matter what The Police might think Cool ) and you have pretty much no chance that this will develop into something interesting, at most it'll be an unusual subplot that eventually disappear at worst it'll end up as a train wreck.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
Wow, you people sure are confused about who directed what. The director of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu was Tatsuya Ishihara, not Yasuhiro Takemoto. Yes, the one who directed one of anime's instant classics is responsible for the crapfest called Myriad Colors Phantom World.
I never said Tatsuya Ishihara wasn't the director of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. If you're specifically referring to the first season, his credit in that one is stated unambiguously as "director" (監督), while Takemoto's only credit is for episode 11. The second season's credits have Ishihara's and Takemoto's titles written in in-universe lingo, but the most likely inference is that the former is credited as the director and the latter as the assistant director. It's the movie where Takemoto gets the unmodified directorial credit. Either way, the point I was trying to make is that a single line in the credits doesn't tell the whole story about whose creative vision was paramount and who did most of the actual day-to-day direction of the creative processes.

And for the record, I don't really have much of a problem with Ishihara (edit: although the thought of him becoming KyoAni's equivalent of Shinbou does make me nervous). I absolutely loved the first season of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! and didn't particularly hate the second season; haven't watched any of the KeyAni works yet, so can't comment on those. And I wouldn't exactly call Myriad Colors Phantom World a crapfest (or at least, not yet). Yeah the way it uses the old LN tropes is kind of obnoxious and the fanservice is a bit excessive, but the world is sort of interesting and the fights look very good. All in all I'm not disappointed since I wasn't really expecting much from it to begin with (other than that it would look pretty).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Prince of Stride is kind of meh so far, but I have no doubt I'll keep watching it. :) Writing deficiencies aside, I give it huge props for animating people running without their elbows out to the sides like chickens trying to fly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 29