• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Of course people were going to go about the 'offensiveness' about Kono Suba, but it seems to be making fun of the protagonist a ton more than any of the girls.

But the show had a good sense of lightheartedness. I just wish it looked a bit better animation-wise, but I really like the writing of it so far. Good music too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
...dying, and subsequently being laughed at by even your family members...

Somehow I'm doubting that part of her story. Actually, the whole thing sounds kinda fishy. >.>

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the MC didn't die. But it's supposed to be a wacky comedy, so who knows.

Really didn't like the second eps of Girls Beyond the Wasteland or Phantom World, but ERASED continues to be fantastic.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The second eps of Wasteland (and Phantom World as I mentioned earlier) don't seem like they would change minds. Erased was great though. It probably won't leave 1988 till then end, and if they do, they'll only do it once. I mean there's only some many times you can repeat the same timeline before it gets boring. I don't start rating series as a whole until the third ep but I'll probably go with at least 4.5, probably 5. Also we have gotten to the title, the Japanese one that is, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I mean there's only some many times you can repeat the same timeline before it gets boring.

Groundhog day would like a word with you.

I think we'll get a bit more of the present because the opening did focus quite a bit on it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I enjoyed KonoSuba's first episode but how come the MC has high luck? He is anything but lucky.

He managed to get all that limited edition swag. That takes a lot of luck.

Anyways, I just remembered: immediately after being told he died his first response? Ask if the girl was all right. He's really not an awful person, he just acts poorly towards some one who treated him poorly first.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
They have said they aren't reviewing shorts. And Medici was more than just some ... some random merchant! Oh and Saint George is obviously not a Greek god but a saint.
I guess you got me about shorts since Alan45 also mentioned it, though I didn't see that anywhere in the column. So entertaining I missed that it wasn't full length! I thought about the "Greek gods" remark and St G, but decided it wasn't worth correcting because it was so minor of a point. A saint and two gods make Medici fairly out of place but I guess you know so much more...Erased is looking good and I'll do you one better and say that I reserve judgement until the last episode on whether a series is good.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised by how fun Koukaku no Pandora continues to be. But then I found out Masamune Shirow has input as mecha designer and Rikudo writing it. And of course, he is the creator of Excel Saga and Puni Puni Poemy. So it makes sense the show has his manic comedy and both of their love of mecha erotica.

A surprise comedy hit of the season in my opinion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
So basically Erased is "The Boy Who Leapt Throught Time" without the rough and tumble? Wink
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So basically Erased is "The Boy Who Leapt Throught Time" without the rough and tumble? Wink

Reminds me of that childhood arc in The World God Only Knows manga too.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
These are my survivors of the Thunderdome and the main theme of the season are shows that try to be bland JRPGs if we overlook the usual high-school is everything nonsense:

ERASED I´ll stick to the manga as the anime adapts it 1 to 1. The story will further grow in quality over time and will play with reader expectations if they get far enough into the source materiel. This is a good show to introduce an uninitiated to current anime due to the universal suspense themes so let´s hope that it won´t have a gecko ending. 8,5/10

Durarara!!×2 Ketsu is what it is and i wonder if a new viewer would even get a word at this point as even the OP starts in media res. My only problem is that the producers probably stretched the budget of a 2 season show over 3 but i don´t mind as i rarely get complete adaptations of long form source material that i care about. 8,5/10

Luck & Logic I am a gamer and have read Ready Player One or Snow Crash so i can´t stand Garry Stu McVideogame nonsense as Druaga, Sword Arts and the stream of LNs that currently flood the market. Luck and Logic was thus equally destined to put me to sleep on paper. It is an infomercial for a still to be released (!) card game, it is covered in harem tropes or bad Shounen action tropes in general but it still works. The production value are good, most characters already have a personally, the protagonist isn´t a weak willed avatar and the expected Ecchi elements stayed home. The 2nd episode also subverted a few expectations so the capable director/writer combo either polished a turd or made the unworkable work. 7,5?/10

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu The producers aired last year´s OVA as the pilot and we got ourselves another show for seasons viewers. Not only due to the period setting or the adult protagonists alone, as i was bored but Shōwa Monogatari, but due to the immediately palpable characterization and the less than usual themes. The actual first episode frames the anime as an extended flashback and the previously too long stage performances were better implemented. Studio Deen even gave a damn so the anime has a sense of identity for once. The studio used to be pretty respectable in the 80s before they turned into low budget journeymen. 8,5/10

Ongoing are: Lupin The Third 2015 and Osomatsu-san.
Also: The Gravity Falls finale, Star Wars Rebels, Steven Universe, The Simpsons (the Boyhood rip-off was actually good) and Teen Titans Go! I am also worried for Batman: Bad Blood as it mixes arcs that don´t match but the 2nd film was good unlike the 1st.
See you next season cowboy and don´t forget to bring a shovel. We will have to dig another grave for Macross thanks to Delta. I´ll even write a eulogy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't know what people are smoking, BBK looks pretty good. It seems to me like the typical Otaku hyperbole that you always see here.

It doesn't looks perfect but 2d anime never looks good 100% of the time. The actions scenes in particular and the background are really well done.

Phantom world looks like a fun action comedy with fanservice, don't know what is so bad about it. [EDIT: Insulting comments removed. - Key]

Damn this forum is still as bad as ever. I see that you have a sakuga fan doing some articles for you, good(applause).
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
Don't know what people are smoking, BBK looks pretty good. It seems to me like the typical Otaku hyperbole that you always see here.

Saying people must be on drugs because they didn't like the art style of an anime probably qualifies as hyperbole...

With episode 2, ERASED continues to be much better and more complex than I expected, which is always a good sign. Kinda funny that it's now taking place in my birth year.

Nothing else this season looks all that appealing, so I haven't checked out much else yet... Dimension W got good reviews, but "world-weary male badass meets skilled but naive young girl" feels cliche. Almost want to watch "Konosuba" just to find out how the hell the lead got run over by a tractor.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
Almost want to watch "Konosuba" just to find out how the hell the lead got run over by a tractor.

He didn't. If we assume that the "goddess" was telling the truth, he thought he was about to be spoiler[hit by a truck and died of fright].
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I actually found KonoSuba very funny, but when the show calls out Aqua for having below average intelligence, I actually rewound because I thought I had misread the subs. I was just thinking about how clever she seemed as a character, and the show outright tells us she's supposed to be stupid. And the MC's supposed to be smart--that's nice, I guess, but they didn't demonstrate that, either.

When the administrator blatantly tells Aqua that she is stupid, Aqua has no response to it but instead basks in the glory of having better stats in other areas. If you don't understand other people's insults, especially to your own intelligence, that to me sounds like stupidity, and in fact when I first that scene I was laughing specifically for that reason.

The show didn't show the MC solving some insane puzzles, but the show clearly portrayed him as the more shrewd one out of the two characters, like how he understood what is considered to be "broken" abilities in a RPG setting and how he found the "side effect" of learning the other world's language to be suspicious. To be fair, everything that I mentioned just now are not enough to replace an IQ test to say someone is stupid or smart, but you get the feeling from watching their interactions that the MC is slightly smarter than Aqua.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
Don't know what people are smoking, BBK looks pretty good...
I agree that the low frame rate and amatuerish use of acceleration settings in the models make it look a little odd and that the commentary on that point is over-blown but it doesn't detract that much from the ridiculous story and near incomprehensible action. Saw two whole episodes and It's like a lame "serious" version of a Teen Titans Go episode I saw last year. Also, everyone is ridiculously over-powered with thier bubkis-whatever pseudo-magick weapons and the villain is so stereotypical it's a little funny (Eyah-ha-ha-haaaa!). Also looked up Pandora...blatant otaku bait with the "robot-cat-girl-maid", sort-of-yuri antics and the questionable taste upgrade port. And for grins, PSO2 which I think wasn't too bad being fairly usual teen guy "phantasy" stuff and a shameful Sega game plug. Yes, I looked up all the stinkers and BBK-BRNK is the stinkiest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 29