• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koyomimonogatari (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote

Koyomimonogatari

Genres: Comedy, Mystery, Supernatural
Themes:

Quote:
Koyomimonogatari includes twelve short stories about Koyomi from that destined Spring Break to the end of university exams.
(Source: Bakemonogatari Wiki)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Monogatari series being adapted but this time will be in ONA short format for the Winter season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
So this novel first before the final Owarimonogatari? Taking into account the publishing history, it makes sense and they have more time to prepare the final volume's adaptation.

Owing to the nature of this book, a long series would have been impossible so ONA/web release is the only way to go.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So, Neko Kuro's OP, if I'm not mistaken. Possibly only because this story in particular is close to that one, so we might get several other Monogatari OPs, which is fun in its own way, but I still wanted at least one OP from Koyomi himself. Ah well. ED is pretty nice.

Koyomi Stone seems like a story more on the comedy side of things, though it does kind of fit with Araragi's general crappy attitude he had till Kizu changed him. And what do you know, he really doesn't have any kind of artistic sense, lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Lol, his comment of having no artistic sense was foreshadowing. Also, it was not even a stone in the first place, but a piece of concrete.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Interesting that this episode seemed more than just mundane daily lives, and in fact seemed more of a hint towards the web of plots that Ougi set up. Specifically it we see Nadeko with the scrunchie also related to Ougi along with her in his room.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, they managed to keep the Owarimonogatari theme song from the Fall season. It felt just like yesterday when I heard about it again and it's nice to see Ougi too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
Which reminds me that spoiler[some of the stories to come don't have OPs with the main characters. Shinobu's will probably use one of the mostly instrumental tracks like in Second Season or Owari, but Yozuru and Gaen have had no specific OP. I don't know if there are other important characters in those stories who could take on the OP role.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
#1-12

Adaptation of the interlude novel dividing the second and third parts of the final season. As expected from Shaft, virtually everything from source is adapted faithfully into the animated medium.

The decision to incorporate all of the OP song with varying degrees of change from their original air dates is a good one in my opinion. It does allow viewers to see the change undergone by Araragi over the school year from the start of his adventures until the day of his entrance exam.

Highlights for me:

#2: Climbing up the walls just to verify Senjougahara's claim, which ends up forcing the school to implement construction to stop a repeat.

#6: Hanekawa getting a room to herself when her abode was rebuilt after the fire.

#8: Oshino Ougi allusion to Araragi and Shinobu's little escapade on the last day of summer vacation. For those familiar with what happened during the snake arc, the foreshadowing(?) in this episode couldn't have been more obvious.

#9: The doughnut solution to Shinobu's puzzle.

#10: The incongruity of Araragi being paraded around town in that fashion.

#12: The animation featuring the dismemberment. It was on this cliffhanger which the novel ended on which forced just about every fan to buy the last part of the final season to find out what the hell happened to Araragi.

All in all, I enjoyed the book because I ended up being outwitted for each conundrum due to my lack of lateral thinking skills. Likewise the animation was also enjoyable despite the unusual format and shortened duration compared to regular adaptations from Shaft.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
^ Koyomi was released before any Owari, right? Must've been spoiler[hell] to wait until the third volume to get to the material set after it. I can see why Shaft would decide to animate it in this order.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
^ Koyomi was released before any Owari, right? Must've been spoiler[hell] to wait until the third volume to get to the material set after it. I can see why Shaft would decide to animate it in this order.

You're right. Shaft probably had no choice but to put off this adaptation in light of the events narrated through the first two final season books. Plus the format of this book in particular lends itself well to a web release.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, things just went from being light hearted inconsequential moments that always had "Now for the epilogue or rather the punchline", to actually something pretty serious. If anything that made this episode the ultimate punchline of suddenly spoiler[taking it to him being killed], and an epilogue of him after that. What a kind of surprise, the spoiler[return of Mayoi].

I have kind of liked this short episode season, if only that it was character interaction outside of major story situation where interaction can tend to be very restrained. Not worth putting up a big fuss with these small bits, but I give a rating of Decent for the season, but say that it had a more positive impact on the rest of the series by being set between various story arcs, with the different OP too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1