• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guillermo del Toro: Pacific Rim 2 Sequel Is 'Still Going'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
He will repeat that line for a decade straight just as he does with the rest of his dormant projects. One needs to stay part of the conversion after all even if i couldn´t be more apathetic.
Half of his movie are amazing though. Hellboy 3 when and Charlie Hunnam was pretty amazing on Sons of Anarchy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
He will repeat that line for a decade straight just as he does with the rest of his dormant projects.

Yes, but Robert Zemeckis promises us that Roger Rabbit sequel is coming! Razz
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
What, we won't ever get Pacific Rim 2: Pacific Rimmer? Or Pacific Rim: Edge of Apocalypse... Again? How about Godzilla 3, Pacific Rim 2 {With regards to the Critic... What, it stinks, you say? You haven't even seen it yet}

I'd sooner see HP Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness than the follow up to giant mechs punching giant monsters in the face. Unless it also involved giant monsters fighting other giant monsters and one of them happened to be named Gamera...

In fact, skip the robots, I want that. We've had one Pacific Rim already and unless it came with a story this time, we don't need another one.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Pacific Rimjob 2: Electric Boogaloo is the ticket... Wink
A HP Lovecraft film by him is way too good for this world and certainly too logical. What is the connection between Cthulhu and Prometeus anyway? Carpenter´s In the Mouth of Madness will suffice for now i guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Pacific Rimjob 2: Electric Boogaloo is the ticket... Wink

I've spent untold years trying to bury the Pavlovian-reflex joke about saying "Electric Boogaloo" after a "2" sequel. It's been thirty years, what the heck do you even want from them anymore?

At least the Cannon Pictures documentary, ironically titled "Electric Boogaloo", points out the reasons why it wasn't considered as good as the first movie, cashing in and going for more of an 80's soundtrack-musical fantasy than the gritty street atmosphere of the first Breakin', which the emerging hip-hop culture felt was their first big mainstream exposure.
(Yeah, it's when the jokes start getting that overused that the real thing starts getting sympathy and looking a lot more interesting...)
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Del Toro should tell the Kuratas/Megabot guys to have their fight in a swimming pool and he'll pony up $1mil. Film THAT and release it as Pacific Rim 2. It'd easily make its production costs at least. Laughing
Shirohae

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Jesus why do they keep going back and forth with this shit?! Like omg stop confusing people already!! UGH
Kamagor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Please let this happen, I want nothing more than to get a Pacific Rim 2!
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I love del Toro and I love Pacific Rim, but dT ought to just quit while he's ahead. Pacific Rim was a decent cult-hit, and that's about as much as it ever was going to achieve. There's no way in heck that movie can possibly do anything more than that, and unless a movie can be a hit or extend a franchise people aren't going to want to fund it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
@EricJ2 Guess who else saw the documentary? I will stop shitting on them when every copy of Superman IV has been wiped off the planet and when their "followup" doc The Go-Go Boys stops existing. Roger Rabbit 0 was wiped away by Schindler's List of all things and i can highly recommend the ultra bleak original book. I still find it fascination that Ghost Busters 3 ended up happening thanks to the game while we are talking about "soon to come" out films.
Guillermo should do a game too! Oh wait....
I wonder if Roger Corman is Guillermo´s role model? I like both but they are equally bipolar and overworked.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
I guess we can just call this the next "James Cameron claiming that Battle Angel is still coming" claim but unlike what happened with that since Robert Rodriguez is now picking up where Cameron left off, it seems to me that we won't be likely to see someone else pick up Pacific Rim anytime soon.

Also, we are all still waiting for Hellboy 3!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
I think someone accidentally truncated the title to the thread.

What del Toro *really* said was, "Still going nowhere."
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I still find it fascination that Ghost Busters 3 ended up happening thanks to the game while we are talking about "soon to come" out films.

Ghostbusters 3 was an example of the "telephone game" mutation of dormant projects mutated by other momentary crazes.
Started out with Dan Aykroyd wanting to go back to his favorite gig again, but spent years trying to figure out how to cover Bill Murray not wanting to do it. Finally came up with "the new team" including Chris Rock and Chris Farley, but Farley was impolite enough to die before filming. Then, Indy/Crystal Skull and Men in Black 3 started the craze for reviving long-dormant 80's/90's triquels in 3D (there was also talk of getting that Gremlins 3 jumpstarted again), until studios all "decided" that "3D was dead" at least as a theater gimmick.
Around that same time, "Expendables 2" came out, and everyone saying "Hey, how about we do one more, 'The Expenda-Belles', with all girls?", and started that new sequel-alibi craze. Which got the GB3 producers to think, "How about all-female 'Busters?"--"Great! But who would we cast?...Melissa McCarthy?" "Perfect! LET'S GET the Bridesmaids director!" (And basically turned the movie into "Spy".)

I'm only posting this to show the perils of what can happen to long-dormant projects. They tend to spoil and ferment on the shelf, even if they don't go stale first.
(And I don't think we're getting that "The Stooge"-remake Roger Rabbit sequel either, with Mickey Mouse as Dean Martin, that the book author talked about.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Yes, but Robert Zemeckis promises us that Roger Rabbit sequel is coming! Razz

I never did figure out how anime would fit in to "cartoon characters are supposed to make you laugh" rule.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
@EricJ2 So you weren´t a fan of Bambi 2? It has the world record for the longest span of time between two consecutive installments of a franchise with 64 between the films. Confused
Ghost Busters 2016 could work (Spy did after all) so i will wait for the trailer. It is destined to better than 2 in the very least and remakes are as old as films or William Shakespeare. Or cash ins... Citizen Kane 2 when?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1