• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation Blu-ray Discs in Japan: 2015

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
The power of Disney continues to shine so bright. The expected series are here as usual.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
So the Love Live! movie could have a good chance at topping the 2016 list? Since it's already over 200k. Guess it will depend on whether there's a big Disney home release.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
13 35,992 Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray Disc Box II ANX 15/10/7

"It's so cliché and expensive people won't buy it. Dumb TYPE-Moon. Dumb ufotable." yeah right...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Fairly certain that Disney did not sell that many standalone BD volumes. They sell the BD and DVD together. So their sales should not be ranked in Blu-Ray only lists. DVD is still the go-to for most of the Disney audience. I have no doubt that if there was a DVD only release then the numbers would be rather different.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
13 35,992 Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray Disc Box II ANX 15/10/7

"It's so cliché and expensive people won't buy it. Dumb TYPE-Moon. Dumb ufotable." yeah right...

True that. Only people like Nick Creamer dislike this show/franchise. The franchise is good. Not because it's popular, but because of how it revisions history and makes it into something interesting.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Only people like Nick Creamer dislike this show/franchise.

The 126 million Japanese people who didn't buy Fate/Stay Night on BluRay are "people like Nick Creamer"? I never knew that! Rolling Eyes
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Only people like Nick Creamer dislike this show/franchise.

The 126 million Japanese people who didn't buy Fate/Stay Night on BluRay are "people like Nick Creamer"? I never knew that! Rolling Eyes

You can also say 300 millions of us population who don't watch the latest star war.
It's all about target audience, man. You can't make someone that everybody wants no matter how hard that you try. Apple only lyrics said 30 millions of iPhone last year.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
You can also say 300 millions of us population who don't watch the latest star war.

Sure, but what I wouldn't say is that those 300 million people didn't watch Star Wars because they were a certain kind of person. What I object to is the idea that "only people like Nick Creamer" don't like Fate, when in reality there might be a whole bunch of possible reasons why someone might like or dislike a particular show.

For example, I ran into someone at a con last year who said that they had never seen Kill La Kill because "they refuse to watch any show with a female protagonist".
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
@Spotledessen, the number of Star Wars movietickets sold in the US now is around 100 million. So there are 220-240 million Americans who didn't watch Star Wars (taking into account some watched it multiple times).

Interesting to see American movies dominating so much. In the past Miazaki was king (I think Spirited Away sold like 2.5 million DVDs), today there isn't any animation director in Japan to fully replace his blockbusters. I didn't care at all for Big Hero 6 an absolutely atrocious movie but Frozen was pretty cute and magical, and I generally dislike CGI animation.

Nice to see Shirobako selling well. One of the best series ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1