• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Did Westerners Always Call It Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:
Didn't it come from the french who called it "dessin anime"
I've been told by people born and raised in Japan or who spent over a decade there that it's just the shortform of the katakana spelling of animation. plus the accent the "e" at the end of "dessin animé" changes the pronunciation of that vowel so it's more like"ann-ee-me" whereas anime as the Japanese use it is more "ann-ee-meh." were it "ann-ee-me" they'd likely go with a ミ (mi) instead of a メ(me).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I hate the use of a term to refer to all animation made in Japan. I know that they made up the term because they felt that "cartoon" had a bad rep, however, "anime" eventually acquired a bad rep as well. People should just use "animation", because the reason why people watch anime is because they like animation as a medium for telling stories.

Also, the term anime is rather racist: it implicitly says that animation made by Japanese is "different", well, its not really so: anime is very similar to American live action stuff, though of course carries Japanese sensibilities but other articles of Japanese media do not have a specific name (like calling Japanese movies Filmuu or something).

Japanimation would be as bad as anime since its the use of a umbrella term that leads to false generalizations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the late night Sci-Fi channel japanimation showings. That was one of the first times I ever saw anime (later learning that some of my saturday morning cartoons were also imports) and recognized (and appreciated) that it was different then anything else available.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Also, the term anime is rather racist: it implicitly says that animation made by Japanese is "different", well, its not really so: anime is very similar to American live action stuff, though of course carries Japanese sensibilities but other articles of Japanese media do not have a specific name (like calling Japanese movies Filmuu or something).
This is expanding the meaning of "racist" to the point of meaninglessness. European comics and animation aren't typically that different in sensibilities from their American cousins, so there's not much reason to split them(how many French series have been brought to the States without any meaningful changes?). Once you leave to Japan, however, both the cultural sensibilities and how the mediumia are used in general change; the usage of space, dialogue, etc in manga don't match up with what you'd see in your typical comic of any variety and anime doesn't use many of the tropes cartoons do(though you might be able to find more similarities in the more dramatic action cartoons that got popular at one point; all the more recent ones have defintely had some sort of anime influence[Teen Titans wearing its on its sleeve]).

As for Japanese cinema, I'll leave it to any movie buffs obsessed with that to think up a word if they want. I don't think it's going to be anywhere near as unique as manga and anime have wound up, though.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I always called it anime here in Canada back then. Plus it was nice due to the fact that a lot of anime were not rated and you could easy pick up and rent an R rated anime and no one cared. The early days were fun. Seeing gore filled anime did not corrupt my mind
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Japan's reverse importation habit didn't spare the term "Japanimation" either, as it has been used within Japanese audio tracks as well. Perhaps most famously in episode 17 of Excel Saga back in early 2000.

amagee wrote:
The most recent time was a local runner of comic book conventions. He's a friend of a friend and he bragged about how he likes to call it "Japanimation" in order to denigrate it because he thinks it sounds better for being racist.
Well, at least that's a step above the "Chinese cartoons" term I hear occasionally from "normals," but more often from anime fans attempting to troll each other.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
plus the accent the "e" at the end of "dessin animé" changes the pronunciation of that vowel so it's more like"ann-ee-me" whereas anime as the Japanese use it is more "ann-ee-meh." were it "ann-ee-me" they'd likely go with a ミ (mi) instead of a メ(me).

Not quite. The accent aigu on animé means that the E is pronounced as ay. Think of the word fiancée which is pronounced Fee-awn-say.

My name is French and has the accent aigu on it.

Pronouncing a French feminine word like fiancée as Fee-awn-see is actually comedy shorthand for an English speaker being an airhead. Think of Lina in 'Singing in the Rain' :" Donnie, how can you let them talk to me that way, your fiancee?"

Quote:
There was no anime on TV in any form

I do, however, agree wholeheartedly with your earlier reply to Justin's line.

I get the impression that Justin feels that edited or localized anime doesn't count; That's an attitude I've never understood.

I can understand being frustrated, or even angry, with changes made, and the reasons for doing them, but to outright deny anime was available seems odd.

I still have anime which my parents taped off of cable, both movie channels and channels with commercials, from the 80s and early 90s.

I've even got Toei's Swan Lake (Pam Dawber dub) complete with I Will Not Spoil The End ending, in all its uncut glory. The movie was neither edited nor localized, and was aired on TV, so does it count?

I've never known a time when I didn't know that animation which looked like that was Japanese animation. So it's not as though it was a deep, dark, secret kept under lock and key. Maybe the hosts on YTV chatted about it in the late '80s ( I know for sure that Phil talked about it, in the '90s, but I knew anime existed before then); Maybe an older cousin talked about it; Maybe my parents mentioned it in passing and I thought it was SO COOL that I filed that info away in my brain: I don't know; All I know is that, despite the efforts of some companies, it was not totally a mystery as to where these cartoons came from.

The end credits of 'Speed Racer' and 'Kimba the White Lion' credit Japanese staff, for heaven's sake.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
This may be weird, but I always liked the term Japanimation. Maybe because it's the first thing I heard (which was long before I started watching it), but also maybe because like Justin said, it's a self-explanatory term. Japanese Animation works too, but the abbreviation is cute IMO.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Boy did this one take me back. I'll add that in the '60's very few even realized that these "cartoons" as they were called were from Japan. For the longest time I told people that it was Japanese Animation to explain why they were so different (compare original Flintstones with AstroBoy). I'll agree with others that it was the late '80's when I heard "Japanimation" used which seemed fitting. I still have the VHS of Project A-ko I got from Suncoast (what a funny show!).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
I never referred to Anime as Japanimation although I have heard it before on occasion on tv and at my local Blockbuster video (RIP) of course I also heard the term from some of my friends. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
Actually, they said it in the episode "HOMЯ", which opened with them going to an animation festival.

Ah, you're right. Thanks. I must have confused it with Battling Seizure Robots.

I still have no idea where the word "Japanime" came from though, aside that some people must've gotten REALLY confused.

CandisWhite wrote:
I've never known a time when I didn't know that animation which looked like that was Japanese animation. So it's not as though it was a deep, dark, secret kept under lock and key. Maybe the hosts on YTV chatted about it in the late '80s ( I know for sure that Phil talked about it, in the '90s, but I knew anime existed before then); Maybe an older cousin talked about it; Maybe my parents mentioned it in passing and I thought it was SO COOL that I filed that info away in my brain: I don't know; All I know is that, despite the efforts of some companies, it was not totally a mystery as to where these cartoons came from.

The end credits of 'Speed Racer' and 'Kimba the White Lion' credit Japanese staff, for heaven's sake.

Same here--my father watched anime, so I knew anime when I saw it for aslong as I can remember. He watched the extra-violent stuff from the 80's too (the stuff Manga Entertainment UK would've wanted), so I knew they were nothing like the Saturday morning stuff I'd watch.

As for Japanese staff, not a lot of people read the credits, and I'm sure some people probably thought they were just outsourced labor. During those decades, Japan was a major source of outsourced animation, after all. (So much so that, to some animation historians, they'll ignore that anime exists at all and consider Japan as strictly a source of outsourced labor. I mentioned it in another Answerman topic, but it bugs me quite a bit that way.)
himeji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
I prefer terebi manga (テレビアニメ) myself.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Anyone remember the days of the CPM-run AOL keyword "Japanimation"?????
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
My interest in anime started when Neon Genesis Evangelion aired on TV in 1999. Back then, the TV guide had an article about the series, referring to it as "anime", so I have used that term ever since, but initially made the mistake of pronouncing it as "ani-mee". I try to pronounce it correctly, but I can't help but feel pretentious when I do.

But prior to that, I liked animation/cartoons in general, and used to watch things like Dragonball and Samurai Pizza Cats before I even knew the word "anime", I only knew them as cartoons, or as my dad called them "katong" (Chinese word for cartoons).

The only time I heard/saw the term "Japanimation" was when I read articles about anime which would briefly mention it as an alternative term for anime.

Honestly, I had no idea "Japanese" was a racial slur until I said it to someone from the US. In the context of our conversation, I said "Japanese" when talking about the subjects I studied in high school (obviously I did not intend it as a slur). In high school it was common to abbreviate subjects (Aussies sure love abbreviations). For example: Applic (Applicable Mathematics), Econ (Economics), P&L (Political & Legal Studies), EngLit (English Literature), Chem (Chemisty) etc... Japanese was one of the subjects I studied in high school, so it was common for my classmates and I to say things like "Have you done your Japanese homework?" or "We've got Japanese after Applic". (edit: forum auto edited "starts with J and ends in ap" to "Japanese")

On that note, I find many of the younger generation don't know that "coon" is a racial slur (also a brand of cheese in Australia). I used to be a GM and forum moderator for an MMORPG which had raccoon mounts, and players would often ask why the word "raccoon" was filtered from in-game chat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
I started in the Toonami era, and was a huge, huge obsessed fan of Dragon Ball Z before I even heard the term "anime." I knew DBZ came from Japan, since my older brother and cousins were kinda into anime back then and explained it to me, but I didn't think much of it. I also knew Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Tenchi, Gundam, Digimon, Yu Yu Hakusho, and anything else on Toonami also came from Japan, as well as video games I played like Super Mario World, Tetris Attack, Super Mario Kart, etc, as well as Tamagatchi. I also thought Powerpuff Girls came from Japan, as quite a few people my age did. I never really separated Japanese stuff from American stuff. I think I may have heard the term "anime" at some point, but I actually never saw it in print until Shonen Jump had sections under that name, and I wasn't quite sure what it meant or how to pronounce it. I never used the term myself until maybe around 2006ish and I was looking up this stuff online, but I don't even think I used it regularly until a couple years later.

"Manga" is a different story though. Ever since I knew about Japanese comics, they were "manga." I first learned the term from Shonen Jump and "How to Draw Manga" books. I even learned how to pronounce it correctly thanks to my cousins. I was probably the only 9-year-old saying "MAHN-ga!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6