• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Done] Anime V Comic Rentaman

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
I mentioned this before in the How to submit series relations, but it didn't get acted on there, so I figured I should make a separate thread for it. Anyway, Anime V Comic Rentaman isn't actually one anime, but a "video magazine" containing four separate OVAs. Basically, it was an attempt to serialize anime in kind of the same way as manga is serialized in magazines. Each tape of Rentaman would have an episode of each of the shows that were being serialized (my assumption based on the name is that the idea was for people to rent them from video rental stores). The four shows that were included in Rentaman are The Abashiri Family, Akai Hayate, Eguchi Hisashi no Kotobuki Goro Show, and Yumemakura Baku Twilight Gekijō. These different OVAs were later also released on VHS separately.

I think that either Rentaman should be linked to those other four series with the "contains" relationship (similar to things like Short Peace or Memories), or it should be changed into an anthology entry (similar to manga magazines like Weekly Shonen Jump). There was at least a bit of animation made for Rentaman that isn't part of one of the component OVAs (someone has uploaded an opening and eyecatch to Youtube, consisting of about 40 seconds of animation in total). Perhaps it might be best to use the "contains" relationship rather than making it an anthology, so that people can rate that animation, and so that it can list credits for that animation (both our encyclopedia page and the Youtube upload credit the opening/eyecatch animation to Masami Obari). Either way though, I think it should be linked to those other anime in a way that makes it clear that it primarily consists of those anime.

The source for this information is The Anime Encyclopedia, Revised and Expanded Edition, page 534. You can also clearly see that the page image for Rentaman shows the main characters from The Abashiri Family and Akai Hayate (and someone else who I assume is from one of the other two shows).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the belated reply; all linked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1