• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girls Beyond the Wasteland

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Actually I'll have to blame the translator (who isn't doing that great job working on this anime) since the translation is more closer to "normally good" than "pretty good". Or more like "it's OK".
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
"Girls Beyond the Wasteland"
More like "Girls wasting my time beyond pointlessly"

This series really needs a BANG! of a sort. There isn't anything interesting at all in here so far (even NHK ni Youkoso handled the eroge-making theme way better, and it wasn't even its main focuse) lol
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Saekano so looked forward to this. The first episode showed promise, and I thought I had a keeper for weekly viewing.

It will take an outstanding next episode to keep it on my viewing list.

There is nothing compelling about any of these characters, maybe that is the point, but I think I need to care about something about them. The conflicts and drama seem very low impact as well.

The character designs are nothing outstanding, the animation is pretty bland, even the opening reuses an animation cut four times I think, though in different shadings, still it feels cheap.

By far the biggest disappointmentioned of the season for me.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Basically, this show is boring. I can't think of anything interesting about it. It tries to be a combination of SNAFU and Saekano, but fails in doing anything even remotely good. Quite impressive, in a way.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
considering the people who wrote this show it's really impressive it came out this bland and boring, with the 2 waifu shows (musaigen and dagashi ), garo and u2warerumono this season has been quite a letdown. well the positive thing is that it made me watch shirobako.

[EDIT]
ah, yeah the joke in the preview for the next episode did make me laugh.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Good lord was this weeks episode bad. Guess from here on out I'll get my popcorn and watch the train wreck. Twisted Evil
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Episode #5:

My, oh my. That was an interesting viewing experience Laughing When the dramatic scene with the potential group break-up was shown, it at the right tones, lines, and performance, but the BGM made me think that someone was playing a 90's 2D platformer and is in the Haunted Mansion/Dungeon level or something. Made me laugh (which I guess wasn't the scene's intended reaction, so they failed?).

Secondly, that boat's A.I. was so "macho" ("The Sky, Takeru!"), it also made me giggle a few times. An unintended comedy episode all around.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, yeah. I'm done with this one.

In the duel of the VN adaptations, I started off the season with this show on my keeper list and AOKANA on "short-leash" probation. So much for first impressions. It turns out that while Shoujo-tachi fell into a morass of banal boring blandness, AOKANA has corrected some of the first episode's more annoying problems and found its rhythm as a charming, fun little sports series. It's nothing that's going to earn any critics' choice awards and the animation is still pretty low-budget, but as a piece of entertainment it's giving me what I want.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I've been accused of disliking a entertainment so much that I can automatically dislike anything they do before they do it but this author's got me beat.

Excel Saga's fan service episode was set at a pool and it had more to do with the levels at which anime series will drop to in order to sell itself. Suzumiya's beach episode was actually its mystery two parter, the fan service parody was 2009's "Endless Eight" arc... at points, it's 8 episodes after all and they had to kill time somehow... and I'm not touching Ouran Host Club; I made it through 7 episodes and that was too much for me. It wasn't the comedy which I liked, it was everything else that turned me off.

What this episode did remind me of was Haganai's beach episode as well as isolated things from Shuffle, K-On, Negima and the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. "Catch me, catch me!" "I will!". Kuroda would have been more successful getting her point across if she got a guy to chase her. Or if she chased him, could work either way just not "girl on girl" because it's not that kind of game.

I laughed, I was entertained... Kuroda wanted to show the rest of the group some cliché set-ups but "teenagers" ensued... but I was also laughing uncontrollably during last episodes "Anime's most dangerous catch" sequence so there's probably something wrong with me.

Laughing at a comedy, the nerve of me. What will I do next, jump at a jump scare?

"B-. Work on your penmanship", err, design and animation.

I'm getting exactly what I expected with some added jokes. It's better than Photokano and certainly more memorable than that show I can't remember. Ramune, Lamune? One of those. And this blows To Heart out of the water even at this point.

All Bishoujo game adaptations? Why am I bringing those up?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I get what they wanted tot do and the execution is good; but it's not really a fun thing to watch, if they had gone all game creation manual like heavy object is doign for mecha it would at least be entertaining for that. the worse is that this is the episode that has bored me the less, mostly ebcause of the lack of game developing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on this several weeks ago but keep checking out the reviews and comments to see if it got any better. Apparently not. Since most of the replies here are negative and Gabriella is hating it too, maybe she can drop this and pick up World Trigger again, now that stuff is actually happening in that series (even though it's still 20% padding). ;)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
tphoon might just be a standin regarding the type of games, but all the things regarding industry connections were confusing does typhoon has no industry conections as implied by typhoon's writer or are they an actual place that can pay people, as implied by the ceo ? also , the music was horrible, it kind of tried to get in the mood but it was either ill fitting or mistimed at best.

I got the feeling this series would have worked better if it was simlar but had bettr interactions betwen the characters,s oemthing like dagashi kashi or generic slice of life would have been better than what we got.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gradually, the former teammates gather, realizing that they all feel the same way. In the end, they all decide that they can forgive Sayuki's lie and agree to continue working on the game.

This show never went beyond mediocre, but this was some particularly stupid drama. And how many times has Andou "left" the team now, i forgot to count? Rolling Eyes
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
typical takehiro show with good character but an underwhelming plot; yuki yuna was teh exception ot teh rule and in some ways, so was akame ga kill. Iam partially glad that it's over, but also I woudl watch a second season just to see where does it take the characters (also, a second season might actually get good, like it happened to futakoi).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2