• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash [2016-01-18]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this having started it less than a week ago so I missed out on all the discussion.

Overall I give it higher marks than the reviewer did, not having as much of a problem with Yume's rear end. I will watch it if it returns for another season.

I am a little put out by some of the omissions of the story, such as why aren't these people at all curious as to where they came from? They never once asked the question of anyone or went back to visit the obelisk where they woke up. I would have been all over it.

The were a few remarks about how unnecessary Barbara (Haruhiro's master) was. Far from it. Although she doesn't get a lot of screen time she is closer to the audience than any other character by asking the obvious question -- where is Haruhio's reproductive urge and what is he going to to about it? Maybe 2 dozen posts or more in this thread on shipping while not one character ever comes close to talking about it since the "misunderstanding."

As usual for anime the idea of Haru having a relationship with one of the girls is regarded as taboo, repulsive, and certainly to be denied vigorously. Yet he had such a nice moment with Yume and no impulse to follow up ever. If you wanted to improve the story you could do it by addressing that in an interesting way.

That's all for now.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy - here's my take on the "romance" aspect of the story:

Early on, there is clearly some attraction on Yume's part toward Haru. Unfortunately, she can tell that Haru appears more attracted to Shihoru. However, It is very clear to him (and everyone else) that Shihoru is seriously into Manato, and it really looks like that might be a mutual attraction. After Manato's death, Shirhoru was pretty much off-limits since she was grieving in a "different" way than the rest. (Or maybe not... Who says that Haru wasn't attracted to Manato... LOL) There is that moment where both Haru and Yume work through some of their grief together and appear to be getting closer, but then Mary joins the party. Haru seeks to understand the cold, stand-offish priestess, and in doing so, finds that they have a lot in common. They start spending more time together and they clearly begin to have a more intimate relationship than the others.

In my opinion, Mary and Haru are "an item" at the end of the series. It isn't explicitly stated or shown. Rather, it is shown by subtle facial expressions and body language, similar to the way the relationship between spoiler[Sawa and Taichi] is portrayed in Tari Tari. The look on Mary's face when Haru asks if he is in heaven. The fact that he asked if he is in heaven when she was the first thing he saw upon waking. The subtle glances and closeness during the montage section. All of these things combine to show a shy young couple who have mutual affection, even if it has not been explicitly stated. They seem to both understand how the other feels, but are not quite ready to say it out-loud and present themselves as a "couple" to the rest of the group. (It was fairly clear that Mary's relationship to her old party leader was of a similar nature... Perhaps she is attracted to people who take on caretaker roles for others?)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
here's my take on the "romance" aspect of the story:

I think your reading is probably right. In spite of her problems Mary is clearly more mature than the other girls and Haru would probably be attracted to that. If I were in that place I would prefer Yume. Or possibly none of them. There are reasons a leader shouldn't be in a relationship with any of his team members but I would not expect Haru to know that.

However what I would expect if the story continued would be a lot of stuttering, blushing, tentative passes, vigorous denials ("not like that!") and all the tiresome crap that anime usually attaches to these situations. That's clearly what they are set up for here and I would be happy to see, if they continue to another season, that they don't.
The Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
@HaruhiToy - In my opinion, Mary and Haru are "an item" at the end of the series. It isn't explicitly stated or shown.

I figured the handwriting was on the wall the moment the end credits included that picture of only Mary and Haru, fighting back-to-back.

HaruhiToy wrote:
zensunni wrote:
here's my take on the "romance" aspect of the story:
However what I would expect if the story continued would be a lot of stuttering, blushing, tentative passes, vigorous denials ("not like that!") and all the tiresome crap that anime usually attaches to these situations. That's clearly what they are set up for here and I would be happy to see, if they continue to another season, that they don't.

Ranta was already heading towards tease-the-girl-you-like-the-most territory by the end, and if he didn't pitch Haruhiro flack for having feelings for Mary, I'd suspect him of being Possessed.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tropes of young love were used, but I would be surprised if they were played to the hilt, as they are in more romcom scenarios. It was made brutally clear in Shihoru and Manato's case: share your feelings while you can, or risk regret if the worst happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19