• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spankminister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
I'll go to bat for the idea that a lot of weird survival horror quirks like tank controls and limited inventory space and limited saves are what helped make Resident Evil that experience. But it was RE0 that was the first time I actually got behind the idea of a non-connected item box, widely reviled as an inconvenience that "good games" should put behind them.

My first Resident Evil was 2, so I hadn't played the original where items had to be ferried between boxes, I was used to the way all item boxes are magically connected. I think a lot of people who are still into survival horror have become de facto speedrunners because there's no way to avoid accumulating all that knowledge and applying it over more than 10 years. But like you mentioned, that means you forget what it was like that first time, when a new door unlocked could mean either a save room full of supplies, or a new wing of a mansion full of monsters, rather than a known quantity to be factored into the calculus of a timed run.

If survival horror is at its core about the feeling of dread, constantly thinking "I don't have enough ammo," or "my health is too low," or "I can't afford to spare this ink ribbon." Then the inconveniences of inventory management can complement that. Not being able to kill all the zombies mean that rooms one has to backtrack through stay dangerous, so having to go back creates the rock and a hard place situations that are at the heart of the genre. There were multiple points on my first playthrough of RE0 where the fact that items wouldn't teleport for me made me think:

[list=]
* It's not worth the risk of going back through those monsters for just X number of bullets/healing item
* Oh god, I left the key I need all the way back there
* I'm scared to drop this to free up inventory, I'm SURE I'll need it later
[/list]

This makes the game kind of annoying for speedrunning and multiple playthroughs, but aren't those exactly the sorts of sentiments that used to differentiate survival horror from action?
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the older Survival Horror style. I hate to admit it, but RE Zero was at a level of difficulty outside of what I was able to handle. As I recall, the item box thing was probably a larger part of it - if I were to go back and play it now, I wonder if I'd fare better.

Anyways, off the top of my head, I'm going to pass on this. While I love playing as Rebecca on Mercs and such, she and Billy just aren't particularly interesting characters to me. I also didn't like the clunky partner-switching mechanics on the Gamecube.

The largest tragedy , to me, with this release is the lack of co-op multiplayer. RE Outbreak is possibly one of my most favorite online co-op games, and I'd have loved to see an HD upgrade to Zero come with some way to co-op with another person over the internet. The game is practically screaming for it, given that the game has you managing two characters.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
spankminister wrote:

This makes the game kind of annoying for speedrunning and multiple playthroughs, but aren't those exactly the sorts of sentiments that used to differentiate survival horror from action?

I'd argue no given how action games weren't as big in the mid 90's/early 00's as they are now.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
spankminister wrote:
My first Resident Evil was 2, so I hadn't played the original where items had to be ferried between boxes

RE0 is the only RE without the magically connected boxes, and it came out long after RE1&2.

There's a "hardcore" mode on the RE1 remake that disconnects the item boxes, but it's obviously not intended for first-time players.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1