• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Strawberry Marshmallow Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
Oh cool Geneon titles are still getting rescued. Hopefully Paranoia Agent gets picked up one of these days.
Apparently Sentai has to go through and pick up all of Geneon's titles that were most popular with the most anti-R1-industry niche segments of the fandom first (see also: Higurashi, Rozen Maiden, and Popotan -- maybe Nanoha's next), before they move on to titles like Paranoia Agent that had TV exposure and were well-respected by many people.

I guess past sales aren't all that indicative of a title's likelihood to be license-rescued by another publisher. At this rate, maybe we'll see Fighting Spirit from Sentai before too long.

Ah man! If we could get some freaking Ippo and Paranoia Agent, I will be in heaven!! Very Happy

Preferably on Blu-ray, but they are both early digipaint, I believe, so I'd jump on DVD too.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
The dub for this was very good. One of the rare anime both in Japanese and English acting circles to use a teenage cast for the younger girls. And it worked.
Most of the time they had pretty strong takes, and even when they didn't sometimes, the dub still has a lot of charm, at least for me.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So now Sentai has a relicensed Blue Water studio dub of their own. Those things certainly spread. I like them but I understand how they can get on people's nerves.

What is this "they" that gets on people's nerves?
I am not seeing anybody complaining about anything.

The Sentai announcement says that they acquired the 2005 series, but does not mention the OVAs. I suspect that this will just be the same thing that Geneon released.
That will be good for me since I already have the Geneon release and will not be tempted to spend more money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathergoat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it will come with a shot of insulin? Either way it's a title I don't have but wish I did. Good to see some older stuff being re-released.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I guess past sales aren't all that indicative of a title's likelihood to be license-rescued by another publisher.

It probably has more to do with licensor relationships. Rozen Maiden and Popotan are from TBS, and I think Strawberry Marshmallow might be as well. Their titles have commonly been licensed by Sentai.
Touma wrote:
The Sentai announcement says that they acquired the 2005 series, but does not mention the OVAs. I suspect that this will just be the same thing that Geneon released.
That will be good for me since I already have the Geneon release and will not be tempted to spend more money.

It's true that only the series is solicited for now (coming out in May). Not known whether they will release the OVA's. I'm hoping they do later as I really want them. I still need to get the TV series again because I once had it but I lost it (so I'm really thankful for this license rescue even if it doesn't include anything new).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news. I'd been thinking about this title for awhile now wondering when it was going to get rescued. Now it has.

You cannot just not rescue this show. Where big sis makes smoking look cool, acts like a big kid and when you've messed up you stay out on the roof. Anybody who's watched the show will get what I'm talking about.

I love this show. I have it in my collection. So for those that haven't seen it or missed out now here's you chance to live the madness of 4 elementary school kids and a chain smoking, childish, but good natured high schooler.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Great news that its confirmed for a bluray release too, guess im double dipping for the bluray and will keep my Geneon set for collection purposes Anime smile

Slightly off topic but I saw someone mention Nanoha earlier, is that a realistic shot of getting a rescue by sentai? I very much would love to watch/own it but it is soooo expensive on ebay and places it makes me sad =/
wanderingwilbur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
The preorders are up on Rightstuf now, both Blue-ray and dvd sets. It's unfortunately listed as just the 12 episodes. Hopefully they will acquire and release the Ovas shortly/separately as well.; Sentai has done this before many times. I will be waiting for that Smile
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
and a chain smoking, childish, but good natured high schooler.

Apologies for the nitpick, but she's in college, not high school.

I mention only because the family restaurant scene is one of the funniest segments in anime I've seen and the difference in school turns it from "typical high school stuff" to "And this is why we love Miu, who can get a college girl to..."

Sorry, readers. No spoilers for you.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
To nitpick further, she's high-school age in the original source material, but due to obvious reasons the anime adaptation aged her up to college.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Yes!I finally will be able to add this to my collection!

i definitely remembered ichigo mashimaro. both good and bad. the good is that just like azumanga daioh its a very solid slice of life series and definitely helped geneon and ADV during their halycon days. the bad is unfortunately cause of their popularity,both series were heavily used in the 18+ fanart doujins. especially asumanga daioh and even moreso during Comiket month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2