• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This show is definitely a mixed bag for me.

On one hand, it seemed very "magic high school light novel" -esque which was an immediate turn off. I am SO TIRED OF THOSE.

But the animation is pretty so I watched it anyways.

Got bored a bit while watching, but then the dude gets thrown dramatically out the window which made me legitimately laugh.

Sooo....here I am still watching it. I'm on the verge of dropping it, but it has its moments that keep me chuckling sometimes. Alrighty then.

At least the fanservice isn't non-consensual or gross Smile even if the boob physics don't make sense haha.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I actually find Haruhiko's infodumps to be the most interesting part of the episodes. Unfortunately they never follow up on those in any interesting way. I'm also getting really tired of KyoAni's queerbaiting, because it's become so predictable and so blatant. Fish or cut bait, guys. But I'll keep watching awhile longer because usually they'll eventually pull something out of their bag that's worthwhile.

Has there been anything yet that disproves my expectation that the little girl is a phantom?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Has there been anything yet that disproves my expectation that the little girl is a phantom?

No, there hasn't been, now that I think about it. I hadn't considered that possibility, so now I'm a little curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

First episode had her going to school and talking with friends. Phantoms don't seem to be that well integrated, but maybe she could be a phantom disguised as a human. I think her rabbit plushy is a phantom, though.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I assume you mean the knockoff Renge and not Ruru.

The ANN spotlight for the show says she's spoiler[a human who uses her bear as a doll weapon like Kazumi from Witch Craft Works.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ok, hadn't read that. I figured there might be something that I'd missed. :)
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Just to give you a little perspective of the overall mood in Japan regarding Myriad Colors Phantom World, currently it is ranked the 12th best anime of the season on Anikore with a score of 58.1.

To put that in comparison with other Kyoani shows, Hibike! Euphonium is currently ranked the best overall anime of 2015 (this category includes movies, OVAs, and TV series) with a score of 78.9.

Sorry for the list, but I think the numbers give a good idea of how Japanese fans usually react to Kyoani shows and that the current reaction to Myriad Colors Phantom World is unusually negative for a Kyoani show.

Amagi Brilliant Park: Ranked 4th best show of fall 2014 with a score of 75.8.

Free! Eternal Summer: Ranked 10th best show of summer 2014 with a score of 68.8.

Chuunibyou Ren: Ranked 3rd best show of winter 2014 with a score of 75.8.

Beyond the Boundary: Ranked 3rd best show of fall 2013 with a score of 81.2.
*Ranked 13th best overall anime of 2013

Free!: Ranked 5th best show of summer 2013 with a score of 72.9.

Tamako Market: Ranked 8th best show of winter 2013 with a score of 74.2.

Chuunibyou: Ranked 3rd best show of fall 2012 with a score of 88.4.
*Ranked 6th best overall anime of 2012

Hyouka: Ranked the best show of spring 2012 with a score of 90.4.
*Ranked 2nd best overall anime of 2012

Nichijou: Ranked 5th best show of spring 2011 with a score of 87.7.
*Ranked 12th best overall anime of 2011

Source:Anikore
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
That's a very interesting list. Not to say I totally align with it, but it gives an interesting perspective. I'm glad that it has lower ratings than other KyoAni works, to be honest. I don't like seeing something this bland do well. Even if it's a KyoAni production, it's still exceptionally boring. The visuals are great, but just feel extremely empty. I don't know what they were thinking with this project as of right now. Is it supposed to be their attempt to pander to the male audience again after Free? That's literally the only thing I can think of. And that's a pretty bad reason. I'll be even more depressed if that turns out to be true, because Free was actually a well written show, from what I've heard. If they think that this garbage is all that the average male anime fan wants, that says a lot about how discerning they think our taste is...
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Sorry for the list. . .

The way you did it counts as "annotated," and speaking as a Moderator, I'd allow it anyway. Very interesting indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That's a very interesting list. Not to say I totally align with it, but it gives an interesting perspective. I'm glad that it has lower ratings than other KyoAni works, to be honest. I don't like seeing something this bland do well. Even if it's a KyoAni production, it's still exceptionally boring. The visuals are great, but just feel extremely empty. I don't know what they were thinking with this project as of right now. Is it supposed to be their attempt to pander to the male audience again after Free? That's literally the only thing I can think of. And that's a pretty bad reason. I'll be even more depressed if that turns out to be true, because Free was actually a well written show, from what I've heard. If they think that this garbage is all that the average male anime fan wants, that says a lot about how discerning they think our taste is...

Phantom World was the only submission to the fourth "Kyoto Animation Awards" that was published and that was in 2013 after being announced at the first KyoAni/Do event. In 2014, the only novels published by the KA Esuma Bunko label were the sequel to High Speed! (Free/new movie source) and the novelization of Tamako Love Story. While there were honorable mentions in the fifth "Kyoto Animation Awards", none were published until last October when "Robot Heart Update" was published at the second KyoAni/Do event (alongside the second Phantom World novel) and "Violet Evergarden" (the sole grand prize winner) was announced for publication there.

It's meant as both a way to push the Phantom World light novels that they publish and to remind people about the brand, since they hadn't pushed it since mid-2014 prior to last October. It has nothing to do with "getting back the audience from Free!." That's an idiotic thought that's been spreading from 4ch in the west because those Western fans thought they had a monopoly on Kyoto Animation works (despite barely paying anything to the studio proper if at all).

Their booth at the latest Comiket and their commercials during the Phantom World timeslots (and likely during the re-airing of Free! last season, but I can't check now) have been promoting the label, so that's the most likely reason.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

It's meant as both a way to push the Phantom World light novels that they publish and to remind people about the brand, since they hadn't pushed it since mid-2014 prior to last October.

Is there that little demand for their contest? They aren't obligated to publish any of those novels, right? I thought I heard that they didn't hand out an award for the contest several times in the past. It makes me wonder how bad most other contributions are though. Maybe it's time for them to hire their own writers..

Quote:
It has nothing to do with "getting back the audience from Free!." That's an idiotic thought that's been spreading from 4ch in the west because those Western fans thought they had a monopoly on Kyoto Animation works (despite barely paying anything to the studio proper if at all).

I agree, it's quite absurd. And largely why I was seriously hoping that this wasn't an actual response to that kind of mindset. Though, in a weird way, it would sort of be amusing if KyoAni made this as a way to be like, "yo, if you shut up we will continue to make actual good stories that don't necessarily pander to you specifically, or if you don't, we'll just make the other thing that you constantly complain about, generic ecchi magic high school shows! You want fanservice? Here have some fanservice!"
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:

It's meant as both a way to push the Phantom World light novels that they publish and to remind people about the brand, since they hadn't pushed it since mid-2014 prior to last October.

Is there that little demand for their contest? They aren't obligated to publish any of those novels, right? I thought I heard that they didn't hand out an award for the contest several times in the past. It makes me wonder how bad most other contributions are though. Maybe it's time for them to hire their own writers..

I wouldn't say there's that little demand for their content; it's more that since their publishing division hadn't published any novel from mid-2014 until October 2015, a lot of people likely forgot about it, so Phantom World was their best reminder of "hey, we do have a publishing lineup too!" (Note, they did publish their first manga as an adaptation of the first High Speed novel! (also tying in with the High Speed! movie, which was an adaptation of the second novel)).

They're not obligated to award anything; in fact that's what most people complain about. The 3rd and 6th Kyoto Animation Awards ended with no winners, not even an honorable mention. The only "grand prize" award came in the 5th Kyoto Animation Awards (Violet Evergarden, which had its first novel published last month). A lot of people in the west see a lack of winners as "scamming" the applicants, but it costs them postage and time (that they would've sent to other places too). Instead, they're rewarding things that are decent-to-good only and not awarding a "grand prize" to the best of the rest (like Pony Canyon did with Garakowa, which IMO didn't deserve a grand prize). Having read a fair amount of the writing of the honorable mentions and some other authors, there's definitely a gap in ability between them, which makes sense to award them that and not a grand prize.

Kyoto Animation does have a few people on staff who manage the literature aspect (editing novels, writing/editing blurbs in their guidebooks/other publications, managing scripts, and writing scripts), but for the most part, they have an outsider compose the series (most often Jukki Hanada lately (Chunibyo, Kyoukai, Euphonium)). Some would argue they do a better job than the writers who win the contest, but they may not have the ability/creativity/time to write novels.

relyat08 wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
It has nothing to do with "getting back the audience from Free!." That's an idiotic thought that's been spreading from 4ch in the west because those Western fans thought they had a monopoly on Kyoto Animation works (despite barely paying anything to the studio proper if at all).

I agree, it's quite absurd. And largely why I was seriously hoping that this wasn't an actual response to that kind of mindset. Though, in a weird way, it would sort of be amusing if KyoAni made this as a way to be like, "yo, if you shut up we will continue to make actual good stories that don't necessarily pander to you specifically, or if you don't, we'll just make the other thing that you constantly complain about, generic ecchi magic high school shows! You want fanservice? Here have some fanservice!"

I honestly despise that entitlement that the Western fans have started to show. It's all about "appealing to [them]" and not people who actually pay more to the people who fund the shows. It's why I dislike the concept of crowdsourcing. For every production that gets a little bit of money, the people who give something like $20 think they're entitled to much more than their proportion. I've nothing against paying to watch something legally, but the entitlement of "I gave you $20, so where's my season 2?!" really irks me. That led to the "why are you making Free! instead of something *I* want to see?" outrage we saw here in the west. It was much more here than in Japan contrary to what some think.

I read a good amount of the first Phantom World novel prior to airing and knew that this would be the type of show it was, but I've learned not to try warning people because they'll expect something completely different from what you say it'll be. It was an average novel with an interesting setting, but the characters were nothing special and that carried over to the anime. Not surprisingly, the episode people like the most (this past episode) was an original idea from Ishihara/Shimo and directed by a promising episode director.

The problem is that there's a need to have to win over the late night audience to buy a TV show and associated merchandise/novels. KyoAni doesn't have the relationship with someone like Fuji or NTV (who have Aniplex/IG in their pocket (Fuji) or own their own studios (Madhouse/Tatsunoko for NTV)) that produce TV shows that don't cater to that late night crowd. This means they have to have something that would draw them in. Ishihara comments how the first half of Euphonium was partially more comedic and full of gags to appeal to that crowd so they'd stick around for the more serious second half (which was more substantive and actually appealed to people). If they could move towards a movie model (and actually have Pony Canyon/someone else promote it prior to a week before opening day), that type of content wouldn't be a requirement as they could try to draw in a more mainstream crowd. If this past year turns out well (with the Kyoukai films and High Speed!), that may be the path they head on in the future, especially with Violet Evergarden as it's not something that would do well in late night.

(Sorry to kinda go off-topic; I tried to tie it back to Phantom World as much as possible.)
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
am i the only one offended that this show is compared to KnK?

KnK first 3 ep al though some times cliche at times actually got the beats right and the plot going smoothly.

this on the other hand imo is worst then tamamarket and this is something that i never thought i will say ever in a long time, for the first 3 ep i've seen it's basically exposition and character introductions, there's no overarching plot or any action that's worthwhile.

basically it's fantasy k-on, which wouldn't be bad if the jokes were actually good like cyu2 or k-on, but here ughh... i'm just to lazy to complain anymore

i would be more apt to compare this to haruhi S2, something that looks promising but turn to shit faster then drinking a bottle of laxative. follme once kyoani but you're not going to fool me again to think that this show will have any meaningful plot.

i'm just stay with this show for mai oppai err... i mean mai senpai
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:

Offended? Probably, yes.

I do agree that the shows aren't really that comparable outside of premise. KnK felt like it had an actual plot, while Phantom World seems more like a bunch of unfunny vignettes tied together.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:

Most likely. On the other hand...

Quote:
basically it's fantasy k-on, which wouldn't be bad if the jokes were actually good like cyu2 or k-on, but here ughh... i'm just to lazy to complain anymore

I'm slightly offended that you would compare this to K-On. Laughing Razz

I'm just kidding, I'm not really offended, but K-On was purposefully iyashikei about cute girls doing cute things and it was quite masterfully put together. I don't think they have much in common at all, to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7