• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
synaia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Don't quote me on it but I think the anime is only adapting the first novel which is off-plot stories.

spoilered just in case spoiler[the actual story doesn't start till volume 2]
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
According to the BD listing from official anime site, this show has a total of 7 volumes, with 2 eps in each volume.

Consider we have a ova ep in the last volume, that makes 13 episodes total for the TV show.

Not many eps left for this show to swift tone (unless Kyoni decide to produce a movie for it, which so far they did for every single one of their original and/or Kyoto bunko novel title; regardless they sell well or not)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Not many eps left for this show to swift tone (unless Kyoni decide to produce a movie for it, which so far they did for every single one of their original and/or Kyoto bunko novel title; regardless they sell well or not)

But quite a few of them were compilation movies. Although in those cases, it was mostly used to get the franchise some attention before the next season starts airing.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The teddy bear is called Albrecht.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Mexican Batman wrote:
The teddy bear is called Albrecht.

I was about to post saying the same. His name is a reference to Albert the Bear(or in German Albrecht der Bär).
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if every episode is adapted from the source material, but, if not, episode 10 was a huge missed chance, I think.

Consider:

* Ruru actually gets "destroyed" by the explosion
* Some part of her is recovered or maybe Haruhiko finds something of hers at his home.
* The cell phone thing turns out to be a key to another factory.
* The factory contains research on duplicating phantoms, which explains the robots from episode 2.
* They go on a "quest" to restore Ruru.

Could have been a pretty organic way to tie back into the cell phone without contriving a heretofore nonexistent overarching plot. As it stands, it just seems more and more likely the cell phone will simply kick off another standalone episode...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard about the segment of the source material adapted, it's all vignettes like this, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was straight from the source. I've mostly abandoned hope that it will do much with an overarching plot at this point. I think that connecting it to our plot coupon by (temporarily) killing Ruru would have ran against the tone of the episode imo. It was a sweet episode about and from the perspective of a heretofore mostly undeveloped character, and killing her even temporarily would have made it grim, which the show has not really been. Serious at times but not grim. I thought it was a nice episode, imo the best one of the show in a while.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It's a real pity that Musaigen wasted an episode on the unbearably grating mascot. I couldn't stop laughing at (not with) the eye-rolling OH NOES SHE'S DEAD sequence the show even pretended was legitimate.

At least the Phantom Witch was cute.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Rururru is best, this episode was adorable
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:

I have been a Ruru fan from minute #1 but if she wants to be full size all she has to do is do the ending credits.
Ep 10 review wrote:
firms up the Haruhiko/Ruru relationship, though it still doesn't explain how they came to be together in the first place.

My inclination is that she a phantom spawned from some fragment of Haruhiko's id. However I don't think this anime would be that sophisticated; it will probably turn out to be some childhood friend he forgot about.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
FloozyGod wrote:

I have been a Ruru fan from minute #1 but if she wants to be full size all she has to do is do the ending credits.
Ep 10 review wrote:
firms up the Haruhiko/Ruru relationship, though it still doesn't explain how they came to be together in the first place.

My inclination is that she a phantom spawned from some fragment of Haruhiko's id. However I don't think this anime would be that sophisticated; it will probably turn out to be some childhood friend he forgot about.

One idea I've seen is that since it seems all of their powers they don't know about until they use them(for example Reina's healing powers weren't even known to her until she used them in the show), that means Haruhiko had to summon something for him to know he can summon phantoms. The idea is that his first summon was Ruru.

Though that doesn't really explain why she is around all the time, Haruhiko has to keep summoning his other phantoms we've seen him use. So, I dunno.[/i]
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ruru is my least favorite character in this show so having an entire episode dedicated to her definitely wasn't in my favor. It was a decent episode, like how this show has just been decent overall.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The seeming lack of a connected plot likely stems from the fact that only three volumes of the Light Novel have been published so far (the most recent having been released on February 11th of this year, meaning there were only two published when production of the anime started) and that isn't enough source material to make a cohesive 12 to 14 episode adaptation without filler. If you think about it, Date a Live's anime adaptation was able to have a connected plot because when the first season was aired, they had four volumes of the Light Novel to work with (with some spin off material thrown in as well) allowing them to make 12 connected episodes. When DAL season 2 aired, they only adapted the next three volumes, hence the reason it only had 10 episodes rather than the usual 12. Indecently a series of stand alone episodes can be enjoyable, Aqua Teen Hunger Force used that format, and it was one of the better original series that Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block had. As for Ruru and Kurumi Kumamakura, according to Wikipedia they're anime-original characters.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11 review wrote:
Though most of its attempts at humor still come off flat, this episode has something that most of the previous episodes haven't: heart.

True enough, but at this point so late in the game I just don't really care about the characters enough. Does anyone else feel that way?

Mercifully, the production mostly declined to indulge in fan-service humor in spite of many opportunities resulting from boy/girl in a small apartment. And when they did it was just Haruhiko in nothing but a 7-year-old's underwear. So they get points for that.
quaton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
The seeming lack of a connected plot likely stems from the fact that only three volumes of the Light Novel have been published so far (the most recent having been released on February 11th of this year, meaning there were only two published when production of the anime started) and that isn't enough source material to make a cohesive 12 to 14 episode adaptation without filler.

2 volumes is actually normal for Kyoani standards: Most of their recent shows only had 1-2 volumes published when they got adpated. And yet those had vastly more plot and character exploration than this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7