• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Darker Than Black License Expires

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

So they are aware of the issue, and they are going to be more forthcoming as to when shows will come down from now on. From the way Sophie worded things, I think it's safe to assume that in Darker Than Black's specific case, they were probably forced to remove it immediately without any warning.

People. Folks. I beg of you. STOP. BUYING. FROM. ANIPLEX.

If you cease all monetary transactions with these fermented sausages, you will bleed their business dry. When their business dries up, they will have to close up their American subsidiary and revert to resorting to selling licenses to other companies. And that, in turn, will make actions like these unprofitable for them.

In short, if you stop buying from them, they'll stop f*cking over everyone else. It's kindergarten math. If you can count from one to ten, you can do the necessary math here.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, it always sucks when this sort of thing happens. I've had the DVD set of season 1 sitting around for a few years but still haven't gotten around to watching it. What I've heard back-and-forth about comparative quality aside, the one season 2 release was still available for $18 from FUNi's site, so that was an easy decision. If they had a normal BD release of season 1 I'd probably double-dip there too, but apparently the packaging for that limited-release set is really derpy, so I'm not blowing $60 on it.

(And while we don't know for sure if this has anything to do with AoA/J, if it is on them, then they can continue their quick jaunt straight to hell.)
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
(And while we don't know for sure if this has anything to do with AoA/J, if it is on them, then they can continue their quick jaunt straight to hell.)

It's them. They produced and own the DTB franchise.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
If you cease all monetary transactions with these fermented sausages, you will bleed their business dry. When their business dries up, they will have to close up their American subsidiary and revert to resorting to selling licenses to other companies.

Or they'll just stop caring about the US market entirely. Just like Bandai did for years after they closed down their US anime distribution arm.

Plus, even when another company does buy a license, it could be years before it gets released by that new company in the US. Funimation licensed Code Geass in 2013 and still haven't released it in Region One.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Plus, even when another company does buy a license, it could be years before it gets released by that new company in the US. Funimation licensed Code Geass in 2013 and still haven't released it in Region One.

That has less to do with FUNimation and more to do with Sunrise being sluggish about handing over the materials on time. Sentai Filmworks hasn't put out any of the Sunrise stuff they licensed that year either.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:

Why the f*ck are these dickstains still in business? ...Oh. Wait, I know. Cause people still keep buying crap from them blindly!

Sorry, but no. I've given this whole argument pause, but frankly, it's all bullshit. If you buy stuff from AoA, you're doing more damage than piracy ever did.

Oh yeah, quit buying stuff from AoA who offers the best disc quality in the US market as well as the most widespread streaming options and who's parent company actually produces anime, i'm sure that will accomplish great things for the English fandom Rolling Eyes.

Quote:
It's a bloody fact.

Nice fact, ya'll got anymore of them sources?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
That has less to do with FUNimation and more to do with Sunrise being sluggish about handing over the materials on time. Sentai Filmworks hasn't put out any of the Sunrise stuff they licensed that year either.

Sure, I just meant that it's a lot more complicated than "if you don't buy it, somebody else will license it, and then you'll be able to buy it for less money".
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Oh yeah, quit buying stuff from AoA who offers the best disc quality in the US market as well as the most widespread streaming options and who's parent company actually produces anime, i'm sure that will accomplish great things for the English fandom Rolling Eyes.

Fate/ZERO is encoded at 192 KBPs and Magi's first season is coded at an abysmal 160 KBPs. They do not offer the best disc quality in the US market, at least from an audio standpoint.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Fate/ZERO is encoded at 192 KBPs and Magi's first season is coded at an abysmal 160 KBPs. They do not offer the best disc quality in the US market, at least from an audio standpoint.

Original audio is definitely not 192 KBPs, so i'm guessing it's the dub? I don't watch dubs so yeah.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Yes, because wanking over every pixel is obviously a higher priority than, y'know, being able to own the show in the first place.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Yes, because wanking over every pixel is obviously a higher priority than, y'know, being able to own the show in the first place.

In my opinion it is, why would I want to buy a show that I really liked if it got a crappy physical release?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
If there were more than a handful of titles from major publishers that had these "crappy releases," I might agree with you, but even then a higher-quality release is not worth several times more than said releases.
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
With the way things are going its only a matter of time before Sentai loses the license to Angel Beats! Crying or Very sad
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean by major publishers, but i'm guessing Funimation and the like? Then you're looking at MUCH, MUCH more than just a handful of crappy releases, at least as far as disc quality goes.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
NOW THEY'VE LOST IT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6