• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Darker Than Black License Expires

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Funimation had the licence for 8 years? That's how long licences last generally.

Chances are nobody recalled the licence, nobody screwed up, nobody spent money buying it back off them, it probably just ran the scheduled length of it's contract.

It's a shame it expired, but these licences don't last forever, and I fail to see why anyone was expecting it to. Nobody needs to starts slagging Aniplex off for something they probably didn't do.
They also lost S2 which they first released in late 2011. I'm pretty sure licenses that last less than 5 years aren't very common. We've seen some in the past go about that fast (Ex: Love Hina from Bandai, Spiral from FUNi), but it's still again not very common. The reason we're surprised is because Darker Than Black was a rather successful series for FUNi, something they put on their Anime Classics line, a line that's meant for big sellers/shows with rather positive fan feedback. It's like if FUNi suddenly lost Fullmetal Alchemist. Do you really believe FUNi would willingly lose it? Or even better yet, imagine if FUNi let their license to Dragon Ball Z expire. See what I'm getting at? And lately plenty of Aniplex series have been expiring, many companies have had for quite a while, others hardly any time at all. NISA's AnoHana license lasted a little more than 3 years. Everything NISA has lost entirely were Aniplex titles.
SouthPacific wrote:
There's quite a bit of ignorance going on in this thread, which I guess is something one can expect when it comes to industry matters, but no, AoA is not "stealing" or forcibly taking any shows. AoA most likely doesn't even have anything to do with this.

Possible options for these events could be that AoJ either wants more money for renewal of license, don't want to license out the show at all, or Funimation doesn't want to renew the license themselves.
Indeed it's most likely AoJ's fault (And I have plenty of frustration aimed at them*), and likely AoA isn't going to even get streaming rights for these titles. FUNi not wanting to renew the license is something I highly, highly doubt. Why wouldn't you want to renew the license to a series that made you plenty of money, and continued to do so? If a big series goes, it's usually due to something else, such as why ADV lost NGE.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?7440&p=123650&viewfull=1#post123650

*Not putting subs on the special features of releases AoA will import (And said extras not coming to the domestic release), being responsible for the ridiculous import pricing (I'm talking about Amazon Japan vs. Rightstuf), not putting subs on the Mirai Fukuin JPBD (Garden of Sinners OVERPERFORMS, so why in the hell would you not want to make more money by putting English subs on something that would sell like hotcakes?), and the list goes on.
SouthPacific wrote:
Percival King wrote:

Why the f*ck are these dickstains still in business? ...Oh. Wait, I know. Cause people still keep buying crap from them blindly!

Sorry, but no. I've given this whole argument pause, but frankly, it's all bullshit. If you buy stuff from AoA, you're doing more damage than piracy ever did.

Oh yeah, quit buying stuff from AoA who offers the best disc quality in the US market as well as the most widespread streaming options and who's parent company actually produces anime, i'm sure that will accomplish great things for the English fandom Rolling Eyes.
Sure they've got video quality down (And that's only because Aniplex Japan is doing that work for them), but they have other issues that are worth addressing, they're not that good, and have gotten worse the past couple of years. For example, lately many people that are fluent in Japanese have had issues with their more recent translations, and some are so botched that even those that don't know Japanese can tell there's issues. Here's a line from Aniplex's translation of Erased episode 1. Tell me if this makes sense.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYKGiP3UkAEG9C4.png:orig
(And before anyone claims I think only they have issues, I don't. Here's some other examples of messed up translations from other companies.)

Then there's also the issue of them cutting out JP extras from the JP releases of many shows, something they used to not do that much.

-Kill la Kill is missing the animation booklets. The UK got said booklets, but not the CD's (Which AoA got).
-Sword Art Online goes with an illustration booklet over the JP booklet content which had interviews, character profiles, settings, etc. (A big SAO fan I know called AoA's release "a travesty").
-SAO II similarly while it uses JP booklet content cuts A LOT out (The interviews are entirely absent, including one big one that dealt with anime and how things are overseas, this is in the UK release of SAO II). US release: 96 Pages JP release: 144 Pages
-Saekano is missing the booklets and CD's
-Your lie in April is missing the booklets, manga (This was a given), and stickers
-Nisekoi is missing the booklets, CD's, and some postcards.
-Gurren Lagann is missing many video extras, and the Blu-rays are entirely barebones (As they're the JP discs, and the extras were on their own disc in the BD box) and are missing ALL of the extras we at least had on the Bandai DVD's and AoA's very own DVD LE. Also, not extras-related but I heard they tried to wipe away Bandai's credits (They did most of the work for here already) and make it seem like Bandai had not a single thing to do with the show.

And I could keep going. Are they better than the competition in many ways? Yes, absolutely, but they're far from being the best and aren't as good as they used to be. I'm tired of people acting like they're gods.
Top Gun wrote:
...that's it? Somewhat brighter, a bit more color banding visible, none of which you're going to remotely notice anyway when the shot is actually in motion? Yeah, I'll gladly take those if it means paying a sane amount to own my Japanese cartoons, thank you very much.

Seriously though, if people are that anal-retentive about their video quality, to the point that they're willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a single television series, I don't know what to tell them, but I do sincerely pity them.
To you you think you won't notice that in motion, but for people like me, the difference is very clear, especially on Gargantia which in particularly looks poor. Not all R1 releases suck (There are plenty of releases with good to great video quality (And sometimes manage to beat JP releases Ex: Patlabor TV), with some problems, many times inherited from the source), but when they really suck, they really suck and it's very distracting (This looks even worse in motion, it's far less noticeable from just still screenshots).

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean there is no problem. This concept sadly is going over so many people's heads these days it's absolutely depressing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
Well said ShanaFan852.

Like you said, AoA's releases basically have the same video from the Japanese releases. The reason why sometimes we get lossy English audio for their releases is because they're not always willing to re-encode their raw videos in order to put in another lossless audio if the bitrates will exceed the limit once added. I do however find it odd that they choose to compress the English audio instead of re-encoding the videos or compressing the Japanese audio when they already have imports for those who prefer subtitles.

As for the images posted by SouthPacific. Those are kind of old, some of the newer releases have had better video encodes. To name a few, Attack on Titan, Space Dandy, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!, Beyond the Boundary, and so on. While they're still not on par with most Japanese releases, they're quite decent now. I believe the only time I've had problems with FUNi's AoT release was at the beginning of episode 22, spoiler[Mikasa chasing the Female Titan], that action scene needed more bits. The rest is decent and the brightness is unaltered.

I guess the images could still apply if you're looking to buy older shows since FUNimation most of the time, just repackages their re-releases, it still contains pretty much the same video and audio. The only thing I know of that has had some fixes is Sankarea. There's a line for the preview narrated by Jamie Marchi in the English dub where she says episode 7 when it should be episode 8 and that was fixed along with the release of the uncensored version, which was a pleasant surprise. Good catch to whoever noticed it and got it fixed. Sentai on the other hand, improves their encodes when they re-release, which I always appreciate.

As for DTB, I can only hope that we get early notice next time. I decided to buy season 2 after this news. Was kind of hoping for another re-release of S2 after I bought their "Premium" edition of S1. I would have liked it ALOT better if it was given their usual limited edition slipcase, though.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wait, the license expired? This came out of nowhere and for a successful series like this, it is just unheard of!

I somehow suspect that Aniplex played a hand in this and if they ever dare try to steal Fullmetal Alchemist away, I will forever boycott their stuff because once again, they really have an awful way in handling their titles and newcomers interested in their stuff would turn away by their awful prices.

Knowing Aniplex, they will sit on it and do nothing but if they did do something with this, they will price gouge anyone dumb enough to buy from them and I would encourage a boycott if I can.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
*Not putting subs on the special features of releases AoA will import (And said extras not coming to the domestic release), being responsible for the ridiculous import pricing (I'm talking about Amazon Japan vs. Rightstuf)

While it's understandable that the import set doesn't have subtitles on extras it's still very much regretable and I don't know why they're not at least trying it out. Yeah, AoJ releases are meant for the Japanese audience, but given that they've added English subs on releases for a couple of years now there must be enough people importing their sets
make it worthwhile for the Japanese producers.

At least we're getting English subs on some Japanese releases, that's something US companies can't ever offer. Hopefully they'll one day extend the English subbing to extras as well.

As for the strange price conversions I don't know why that's happening, but I always get my imports straight from Japan.

Quote:
Sure they've got video quality down (And that's only because Aniplex Japan is doing that work for them), but they have other issues that are worth addressing, they're not that good, and have gotten worse the past couple of years. For example, lately many people that are fluent in Japanese have had issues with their more recent translations, and some are so botched that even those that don't know Japanese can tell there's issues.

You don't need to be fluent in Japanese in order to know when English subtitles are derpy. AFAIK Funi/Sentai/CR subs have been pretty bad for a long time, so it's sad to see Aniplex subs deteriorate as well. You will see no excuse from my side, bad subtitles are bad subtitles.

Quote:

Then there's also the issue of them cutting out JP extras from the JP releases of many shows, something they used to not do that much.

Trust me, i'm fully aware of this... At the very least they include more than other US companies (except PonyCan), but yeah, i still think they should include more by not cutting out stuff from the JP releases. What especially makes me upset is that they remove interviews from booklets or don't include the booklets at all.

With their business model there shouldn't be any issue to include JP extras like that so I don't know what the problem is, but they've lost out on my purchases several times because of this.

Quote:
And I could keep going. Are they better than the competition in many ways? Yes, absolutely, but they're far from being the best and aren't as good as they used to be. I'm tired of people acting like they're gods.

AoA definitely aren't gods, if they were i'd be buying more of their releases, but IMO they're still much better than Funimation, Sentai etc.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
{Deleted by nobahn}

There are many that would argue giving more money to companies that produce anime, like Aniplex, *is* helping the industry.

And UK releases are invariably Region B/2 locked, so for many anime fans they aren't worth importing, as they won't be able to play them.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
To you you think you won't notice that in motion, but for people like me, the difference is very clear, especially on Gargantia which in particularly looks poor. Not all R1 releases suck (There are plenty of releases with good to great video quality (And sometimes manage to beat JP releases Ex: Patlabor TV), with some problems, many times inherited from the source), but when they really suck, they really suck and it's very distracting (This looks even worse in motion, it's far less noticeable from just still screenshots).

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean there is no problem. This concept sadly is going over so many people's heads these days it's absolutely depressing.

I am sorry that I came across as treating my own opinion as universal gospel (kind of a long-standing bad habit if I'm being honest). I won't try to pretend that I look at those screengrabs and don't see the issues being mentioned, even if I try to downplay them. It's just that, to me personally, video quality certainly isn't the first (or second, or even third) issue that drives me to buy a series: it's availability. Put simply, at least in my own view, streaming kind of sucks. Beyond the obvious ads and connection issues (if you've ever been stuck on garbage wi-fi you understand), there's the basic impermanence of it. When any series can (and will) get removed at a moment's notice, it seems frivolous for me to sink any sort of financial investment into streaming: if a show I really like isn't available five years down the road when I want to rewatch it, I'm SOL. I've sure we've all had friends on social media bemoan a particular series being removed from Netflix or Hulu, and anime streaming services are no different. The main draw for home video for me is that there's a (relative) permanence to it, and I'm guaranteed that whenever I want to rewatch a favorite title, I'll be able to legally do so.

I'll make it no secret that I own a lot of anime. Like, a lot of anime. (And that's not even fully up-to-date. *sigh*) Obviously I could not have afforded to buy even a tenth of that if everyone had their prices pegged at certain direct-from-Japan company levels. The traditional R1 distributors have been good to me, and I firmly support them as a rule, because they allow me to buy the shows I love at a reasonable price. I've already been essentially locked out of a few shows that I really enjoy, things like Kill la Kill, because I'm not willing to plop down $200 for a single television series that has only a singular factor I don't particularly care about as its release's selling point, not when I can buy five or six other series I enjoy for that same combined price point. AoA's continued presence in the market can be nothing but a detriment to me, because for every license they announce, I know I've lost the chance at owning something.

(Plus besides all that, I know a lot of those video issues fall into the "Once you see it, you can't unsee it" category, and I'd rather not have a bunch of the releases I already own retroactively ruined for me. As Cypher put it in The Matrix, sometimes, ignorance is bliss. Very Happy)
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I'll make it no secret that I own a lot of anime. Like, a lot of anime. (And that's not even fully up-to-date. *sigh*)

You should show off your anime collection on shelf-life or something. I'd love to see many pictures of your set up. I'm pretty big on collecting myself. It's always fun seeing other peoples' material goods. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I just deleted 2 posts. When a moderator says for people to calm down and 2 people to stop arguing that does not mean for other posters to make flame bait posts continuing the argument topic and poking at the users who were warned. That means everyone drops it. Not further antagonize users, or the situation, who cannot respond because they were told not to.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
You should show off your anime collection on shelf-life or something. I'd love to see many pictures of your set up. I'm pretty big on collecting myself. It's always fun seeing other peoples' material goods. Very Happy

Trust me, I'd love to, but I don't have any sort of setup where I can actually display them. They're all stacked in some crazy horizontal/vertical mix in these cube shelves wedged right next to my bed, or helter-skelter on another shelf or two, or just flat-out sitting in piles near my bed because I ran out of room. One of my nerd-goals is to get a place big enough that I can buy a few shelving units and actually get the whole thing lined up properly. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I just deleted 2 posts. When a moderator says for people to calm down and 2 people to stop arguing that does not mean for other posters to make flame bait posts continuing the argument topic and poking at the users who were warned. That means everyone drops it. Not further antagonize users, or the situation, who cannot respond because they were told not to.

I'm honestly not sure why my post was deleted. I had a legitimate response and I did nothing but point out my argument. Nothing I said was even remotely as bad as some of the other stuff that has been said in this very thread. Nor was it off-topic. And I didn't see a post telling people to stop because apparently that happened while I was writing mine or something. Seriously though, Can you explain what I said that was inappropriate? I'd love to know since this is the second time that I've had a post inexplicably deleted without any forewarning.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
When a moderator says that the arguing will stop, then the arguing will stop. It doesn't matter that that the directive was not aimed explicitly at you -- the arguing (to say nothing of the subject) is over.
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
I had thought the Hulu license for this expired fairly recently, but it looks like it was actually taken down last June.

http://free-anime-expiring-on-hulu.tumblr.com/post/118403434848/expiring-may-31-2015-wagnaria-tv-pg-episodes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
So if FUNimation gets it back, will they call the event "Back in Black"?

ShanaFan852 wrote:
Given Darker Than Black was a big title for FUNi, it seems rather strange it'd go OOP, they also lost S2. What seems most likely at this point is Aniplex is blocking companies/forcing companies to lose their Aniplex titles. At this point it's possible FUNimation may even lose Fullmetal Alchemist despite how successful that's been (Just like Darker Than Black, albeit not nearly on the same scale).

I don't get it. How exactly does this benefit Aniplex in any way? Or is it just a demonstration of control?

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I'm not talking about full transparency, but when Crunchyroll loses a title they let people know in advance so they can watch it before it's gone.

Crunchyroll does sometimes lose titles without it being announced. There was no notice about the later two seasons of Hell Girl being removed, for instance, yet another casualty of expired Aniplex licenses.

And while the first episode of Mr. Osomatsu was changed to the revised, lawyer-friendly one and Crunchyroll warned ahead of time, it was pretty short notice. By the time I found out about it, it was gone.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Percival King wrote:
If you cease all monetary transactions with these fermented sausages, you will bleed their business dry. When their business dries up, they will have to close up their American subsidiary and revert to resorting to selling licenses to other companies.

Or they'll just stop caring about the US market entirely. Just like Bandai did for years after they closed down their US anime distribution arm.

Plus, even when another company does buy a license, it could be years before it gets released by that new company in the US. Funimation licensed Code Geass in 2013 and still haven't released it in Region One.

Even Bandai eventually relented after a few years, but yeah, that was an unfortunate worst-case scenario.

There's also the possibility of taking the licenses and not letting any western company have them out of pride and spite, but I haven't seen any cases of that yet. On that front, it's been limited to indie game companies (and doujinshi authors, but that's a different bucket of worms).

relyat08 wrote:
It's already very clear that AoA doesn't mind doing that. I suspect that AoJ is partially using them for that exact purpose. AoA's titles aren't reverse imported like most other publishers stuff for a reason. If they can control as many of their own titles as possible, and release only the ones that they think will be profitable for them, that is a total win-win for them, but a HUGE loss for the NA market. We won't get niche title releases from them. That's what is driving my rage.

Actually, if they're being used and controlled strictly by Aniplex of Japan, there's a pretty good possibility that the people at Aniplex of America DO mind. Having no freedom does get frustrating after a while. I'm sure they'd like to have some input every now and then at minimum.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
-Gurren Lagann is missing many video extras, and the Blu-rays are entirely barebones (As they're the JP discs, and the extras were on their own disc in the BD box) and are missing ALL of the extras we at least had on the Bandai DVD's and AoA's very own DVD LE. Also, not extras-related but I heard they tried to wipe away Bandai's credits (They did most of the work for here already) and make it seem like Bandai had not a single thing to do with the show.

Wait, so their release of Gurren Lagann has no English dub? I loved that dub. It was a big part of what I associate with the show.

I mean, at Kyle Hebert's panels, people STILL constantly request Kamina lines from him. Way more so than some other, more iconic roles of his, like Ryu in Street Fighter or Aizen in Bleach.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Given Darker Than Black was a big title for FUNi, it seems rather strange it'd go OOP, they also lost S2. What seems most likely at this point is Aniplex is blocking companies/forcing companies to lose their Aniplex titles. At this point it's possible FUNimation may even lose Fullmetal Alchemist despite how successful that's been (Just like Darker Than Black, albeit not nearly on the same scale).

I don't get it. How exactly does this benefit Aniplex in any way? Or is it just a demonstration of control?
I don't get it either, LOTS of Aniplex's actions over the past few years have made not very much sense (Some of which I pointed out earlier like the lack of subs on Mirai Fukuin). By doing things like this they're getting no money from these OOP series anymore (And many aren't even streaming, who knows if DtB will appear streaming ever again), and thus get less money internationally. Heck, the reason why say Dog Days S3 isn't streaming in NA on CR is because AoA wanted nothing to do with the series. But then again, R1 is still just simply gravy and not very valuable.

Some other things that don't make very much sense (Some of which was in a deleted post earlier)...
-Waiting TWO YEARS to bring over the RE of the Garden of Sinners Blu-ray Box, and using a weird exchange rate that causes the difference between Rightstuf and Amazon Japan to be $100 WITH shipping. Even CDJapan which charges FULL MSRP is still cheaper.
(Note Amazon Japan includes tax in their prices, they take this out for orders shipping internationally so it's cheaper for us than what is displayed)
-Increasing the holdback on titles. At this point titles now come out/get completed at about the same time they would have if say Sentai or FUNimation held the license instead. This has caused some I know that used to like AoA to just import directly from Japan instead as they can't make any sense of AoA anymore.
-Dropping chipboard. Only SAO II has recently used it, nothing else sense. Your lie in April from the looks of things will continue the flimsy cardboard trend AoA has fallen back to from their early days.
Quote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Wait, so their release of Gurren Lagann has no English dub? I loved that dub. It was a big part of what I associate with the show.

I mean, at Kyle Hebert's panels, people STILL constantly request Kamina lines from him. Way more so than some other, more iconic roles of his, like Ryu in Street Fighter or Aizen in Bleach.
No, it has the English dub, the Blu-ray discs they're using in their release are exactly the same as what was in the JP Blu-ray Box which had the dub, and English subs. What I'm getting at is all these extras on the Bandai DVD's and AoA's LE...
Quote:
Yoko Goes to Gainax - Study Animation at Gainax, Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, Creative Staff Interview, Shokotan Interview
And more from the Blu-ray Box are missing from their BD's.
Quote:
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works Music Videos, Gurren Lagann Parallel Works Music Videos 2, Gurren Lagann Kirameki*Yoko Box -Pieces of Sweet Stars-, Eve of Gurren Lagann the Movie Event footage, Special Drama "Viral's Sweet Dream," Yoko Goes to Gainax - Study Animation at Gainax, "It's Summertime! Drills! Gurren Lagann Festival!!", Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, Interview with Marina Inoue (Yoko), "Believe in the answer that you believe in!! Gurren Lagann Quiz Contest!", Childhood's End Premier Event Documentary, The Lights in the Sky Are Stars Event Documentary, Voices - Testimony of 26 people - Staff Interviews, Original Sound Source of "Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 2" and "Kirameki*Yoko Box -Pieces of Sweet Stars-".
Yes all of that is basically missing from AoA's BD's which have only textless OP/ED's..... I'm still highly irritated at how they're missing at least the extras on their own DVD LE and Bandai's DVD's which we've had for ages. I get that the extras were on their own disc in the Blu-ray Box, but couldn't you have tried like making a new disc just for the extras we've had before or something?

And also with credits, AoA apparently from what I heard removed Bandai from the credits entirely, and did things like "Dubbed and released by Aniplex of America", making it seem like Bandai never touched the show. Generally from what I see on license-rescues, the new company will still keep the old credits in, many times doing absolutely nothing but dumping the old credits in their font on. Like on shows FUNi rescued from ADV they just simply dumped ADV's credits as-is on the release.
(Which is unfortunate as the ADV/Geneon/Bandai, etc. method back in the day was wrong. The current Sentai/Rightstuf/Media Blasters method-black screen after each ep/disc-is the correct way to do them.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6