• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Idolm@ster PS4 Game's Title, Screenshot Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
I still dont get why IdolM@ster is a niche game,
Hatsune Miku Project Diva is almost same genre with IdolM@ster and its selling well in West. Both of them are cater to western "otaku".
Nico877

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
I still dont get why IdolM@ster is a niche game,
Hatsune Miku Project Diva is almost same genre with IdolM@ster and its selling well in West. Both of them are cater to western "otaku".

IM@S is an idol simulator. The "Japanese idol" doesn't exist outside Japan. No idol groups gets overseas CD releases. "Idols" isn't even a thing outside Asia. Almost no Namco Bandai games gets localized, specially not anime-based games with the exception of One Piece, Naruto and a few Gundam games. All members are actual human beings contracted to agencies.

Hatsune Miku is a rhythm game. They have held Hatsune Miku concerts all over the US and in Mexico. Sega owns the IP and Sega localizes *most* of their games. Hatsune Miku isn't a real person so there are no contractual issues to deal with.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Nico877 wrote:

IM@S is an idol simulator. The "Japanese idol" doesn't exist outside Japan. No idol groups gets overseas CD releases. "Idols" isn't even a thing outside Asia. Almost no Namco Bandai games gets localized, specially not anime-based games with the exception of One Piece, Naruto and a few Gundam games. All members are actual human beings contracted to agencies.

Hatsune Miku is a rhythm game. They have held Hatsune Miku concerts all over the US and in Mexico. Sega owns the IP and Sega localizes *most* of their games. Hatsune Miku isn't a real person so there are no contractual issues to deal with.

1. Apparently some IdolM@ster games is not just idol raising game but rhythm game like Project Diva, and the only one get English release (for ios), I dont see this will be a problem for not bringing this to West. Like I said in my previous post, if licensing is still a problem make it for Asia region which is not hard to get it done, Southeast Asia is popular with idol especially Korean K-Pop artist.

I can deal with this because I'm Asian and will throw money to importing the game if I was a Westerner .

2. IdolM@ster is an anime based game(after year 2011), I dont get it why you bring "Sega is a IP owner for Hatsune Miku" because BandaiNamco owns IP for IM@S, but with two company joined as one neither Bandai nor Namco. And most of their games get localized under BandaiNamco.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2