• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Do The Changes To Oscar Rules Mean For Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf--

Just a friendly FYI:
Code:
[quote="Justin Sevakis in the article"][/quote]
results in:
Justin Sevakis in the article wrote:
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
littlegreenwolf--

Just a friendly FYI:
Code:
[quote="Justin Sevakis in the article"][/quote]
results in:
Justin Sevakis in the article wrote:

Or you guys could just make the articles quotable?

Don't see why I need to go through all that. Next time I just won't even bother with the little quote box.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
littlegreenwolf--
Please identify the person that that you're quoting. Thank you.

Not saying you can't start or ought not enforce this. Just pointing out that I have literally seen the articles quoted as littlegreenwolf did hundreds of times, if not into 4 digits by now.

sometimes I also see it with reference to other commentators, and that is definitely annoying.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
I don't pay attention to the Oscars never have or will. Besides who cares what a bunch of old timers who want to "feel" important have to say anyway as if there opinions are actually going to influence my life in any way they must be joking or have their heads so far up there Asses to be that disillusioned. Rolling Eyes
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
@littlegreenwolf

I'm pretty sure Justin is well aware of what The Danish Girl is about. Just because a movie happens to have one or more LGBT characters doesn't mean they are accurately portrayed. The consensus I have seen from literally every single trans person who saw the movie is that it was a garbage, sanitized, sensationalized portrayal that forced some distorted Hollywood view of what it is like being trans and paid no attention to actual reality.

Note, and before people link me to articles by trans people who did like the movie, I'm well aware that there is not some universal trans hivemind, and that trans people can disagree. That doesn't change the fact that a large number find the film insulting offensive crap, and that it doesn't get a pass simply by virtue of being about a trans person.

For a similar case involving a movie regarding LGBT issues that horribly missed the point, see Stonewall.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I don't pay attention to the Oscars never have or will. Besides who cares what a bunch of old timers who want to "feel" important have to say anyway as if there opinions are actually going to influence my life in any way they must be joking or have their heads so far up there Asses to be that disillusioned. Rolling Eyes

I've only seen the awards show a handful of times, the last time I actually sat through the entire show was the 81st ceremony (2009) because I wanted to see whether Heath Ledger would win the best supporting actor award for playing the Joker. However since that I haven't watched the shows and when I hear about all these controversies that go on with the awards I only just shake my head and count my blessings that I don't involve myself in any way by paying attention to it. Too many people I know watch the awards and then express disappointment or get all mad about something that might have been said or that the show was offensive in some way. Pretty much like the Grammy's or the MTV awards. The Razzies at least provide some quality entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
With the Oscars Awards being run by people that have very little knowledge of animation and its voting system being so retrogressive, it's no wonder why non-white people and foreign media continue to get the shaft to this very moment. It's for this very reason why I have never watched any Oscars event. Frequently, it's the same people and/or generic movies from Disney/ Pixar/ Dreamworks that are being chosen.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Of course. I don't know how seriously animation people take the Annies, but I notice they pay much closer attention to what gets nominated in than the Oscars.

I am sure the industry types in the U.S. take it more seriously than the Academy-- but then maybe not, they have their own political nightmare. But it is still very Anglo oriented, but it started as industry awards oriented primarily towards the U.S. industry. This is due to them being presented by ASIFA-Hollywood and they didn't start giving production awards the 90's. (before they were lifetime achievement awards and such starting in 1974.)

The real Association Internationale du Film d'Animation (ASIFA) awards are given at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival every year since the late 90's and bi-annually before that since 1960. Truly international and truly an awards party, a week long party! Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I honestly don't see why any cares about the Academy Awards or Oscars anymore. I can't believe the hipster millennials haven't replaced it like they did with Uber to Taxi cabs, or AirBNB did to the travel agencies.
I'm amazed that someone hasn't come up with some new fangled internet award like the Blimpie, or Golden Chokobo...

We did, thirty years ago: The MTV Movie Awards, and nobody takes Best Kiss seriously. Laughing
Like them or hate them, the Oscars are the only "real" industry awards, without the critic-snobbery of the Critics' Circle, or the sickening press-junket sycophancy of the Golden Globes, or any of the hundred manufactured wannabes in between.

"Nobody watches the awards anyway!" is the cry of those who've never seen the movies, or don't have the attention-span to watch the whole show. Neither of those problems are ones I can help you with, thanks Razz ; that comes down to a particular favorite pet cause of mine called "Movie literacy".
Me, I always tuned in to watch the Chuck Workman classic-clips montages, and be reminded of what "Oscar-winning movies" USED to be (Gone With the Wind, Patton), before we all started playing Globe-watch Fantasy Baseball. ("They're announcing the PGA list, it's Draft Day!")

In an old theater I remember as a kid, there was this long hallway where they had these framed poster collages of Oscar winners by decade--Which sort of installed in me at an early age the idea that whoever wins Best Picture is more important than the team that wins the Super Bowl, because it's not just going to go up on that wall but it's going to be permanent:
You can't go out and rent the '69 Jets, but you can dig up a disk of Unforgiven or French Connection or Mutiny on the Bounty, and it'll always be around to tell you what we all thought back then. For all the films we make in a year, we have to pick ONE to tell future history about.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
@EricJ2 Kevin Smith loves nothing more that to talk about Harvey "Scissorhands" Weinstein so off to google. The Dark Knight fiasco was fascinating indeed and caused as much damage as it did good in the end. The current changes will no doubt lead to interesting developments in the future but the reformed academy will also need to start acknowledging films the populous actual cares about even if they stop behaving like a 1920s gentlemen club.
Star Wars IV was nominated for the best film Oscar in 1977 and helped to change cinema and VII (9/10 and a true redemption) is doing the same thing right now but it only edged into technical categorizes. Do they plan to pull a Return of the King when IX come out?
Everyone is lusting after The Relevant (6/10 and it is the directors "worst ", RLM also called it part of the "human misery" genre Laughing) because it was shoot with natural light but so was Barry Lyndon in 1975. Giving DiCaprio a nomination for the film makes even less sense as he just pulled a Christian Bale by endangering himself for the sake of it. You could give an Oscar to Jackass with that logic! His Jordan Belfort would be a real performance but he was snubbed so here we are.
Boyhood (7/10 and i prefer the more coherent 2nd half) was shot over 12 years but that is nothing special for sitcoms and so no.
The academy members really need to hit the film history books and i suspect that they will be diplomatic this year and just hand the best film Oscar to The Big Short (7/10 and this year´s American Hustle). It is important after all as it explain how big money crewed over the little guy. Important! Inside Job did i that way better in 2010 but who cares. That´s like ancient times...

Animated films can be be nominated for the best film thanks to Beauty and the Beast but Japan would need a new Akira, GitS 1/2 or Redline to stand a chance. Or a reformed Ghibli that actually lives. Sigh. What i allays wonder is why WB´s The Dark Knight Returns adaptation never got a true critical clout or why so few acknowledged the huge impact of The Raid.
Or why Avatar didn´t win in 2009. It was the best animated movie of the year after all Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jutsuri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
"We'll just have to get our public pat on the head for having good taste somewhere else."

Loved this Razz

On another note, this perfectly explains why I have never had much interest in movies that get Oscar buzz. It is a very rare thing for me to want to watch an Oscar winning movie, and now I understand why. Thanks!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
On another note, this perfectly explains why I have never had much interest in movies that get Oscar buzz. It is a very rare thing for me to want to watch an Oscar winning movie, and now I understand why. Thanks!

Citizen Kane never won any Oscars.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Animated films can be be nominated for the best film thanks to Beauty and the Beast but Japan would need a new Akira, GitS 1/2 or Redline to stand a chance. Or a reformed Ghibli that actually lives. Sigh. What i allays wonder is why WB´s The Dark Knight Returns adaptation never got a true critical clout or why so few acknowledged the huge impact of The Raid.
Or why Avatar didn´t win in 2009. It was the best animated movie of the year after all Wink.

I'd much rather more along the lines of 5cm per Second or Wolf Children to be made for Japan to get a spot in the Oscars. Being Japanese animation aside, the themes and content pretty much are on the mark with what these old geezers like anyways.

I'm a minority myself, but I've grown tired of the "Diversity" mantra that has become routine in mainstream rhetoric. Besides, like a few have mentioned already, most of the complainers can stand to extend beyond "black vs. non black." When Spike Lee's films jokingly (or not?) portray whites as some comically privileged and antagonistic redneck, you might wanna see this as a case of pot calling kettle black. Never mind how most African American films are on the same boat as Whitey films when it comes to depicting Asians: an afterthought at best.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Star Wars IV was nominated for the best film Oscar in 1977 and helped to change cinema and VII (9/10 and a true redemption) is doing the same thing right now but it only edged into technical categorizes. Do they plan to pull a Return of the King when IX come out?

No, Star Wars (I don't call it "IV"), in 1977, was nominated for being a Great American Film--Not just a "smash cool audience geek film", like the Dark Knight or Avatar fans keep trumpeting (and Avatar only got up there because the voters all wanted to be James Cameron by chumming up to him), but Star Wars, like Raiders of the Lost Ark's nomination, was seen as a "salute to old films". There was already starting to be a renaissance after "That's Entertainment" in '74, and all the industry handwringing over MGM closing, but nobody back in the 70's really knew what "old movies" were except for things that showed up on late-nite TV, and everyone suddenly comparing Luke Skywalker to Dorothy and Lucas's story to Flash Gordon serials just put the icing on the cake. IV belonged in the AFI 100 Greatest Movies list, Empire Strikes Back....not so much.

Return of the King was alibi'ed as "Oh well, we're giving it to the whole trilogy", but the fact is, many voters can't even look Ron Howard's "A Beautiful Mind" square in the face anymore after a momentary mania took the award away from Fellowship of the Ring.
Fellowship is now considered the much better movie--one of the two made the AFI 100 list and one didn't--and it's fair to say that a lot of voters are kicking themselves today. (They wanted to redeem themselves with Two Towers in '03, but Chicago was just too classic good.) OTOH, nobody is particularly sorry that Force Awakens wasn't nominated, and good as it is, doesn't really know why it would be, except for How Cool Is That, and How Much Money. If you want that, there's this little thing called the Golden Globes. Razz

Quote:
Everyone is lusting after The Relevant (6/10 and it is the directors "worst ", RLM also called it part of the "human misery" genre Laughing) because it was shoot with natural light but so was Barry Lyndon in 1975.

I've been trying to psychologically theorize WHY our "fantasy baseball" prediction games have a full-blown, all-on obsession with thinking that Leo DiCaprio will win for anything and mandatorily push the movie into Best Picture.
We already have the Director Free Ride ticket--remember way back when we thought Oliver Stone would win just for showing up, just because he made Platoon? Laughing --but combine us thinking Spielberg would win just for showing up, or Scorsese would win just for showing up, have him work with Leo in "Catch Me If You Can" or "Gangs of New York", and suddenly every pundit is drafting the movie for an entire sweep. This year it's Alejandro Inarritu's free-ride turn as the Birdman Guy, and if his very next film has Leo in it, oh well, there ya GO!--Other nominees might just as well stay home, huh?

My theory is that it dates back to '98: Like Twilight and Hunger Games, we just couldn't figure out what to do about Titanic. It frustrated every single instinct we had for logic and human behavior. Leo was quite good, yes, given what he had to work with, and he's been good since ("The Aviator") but the fangirl mania turning him into a star gave us a sort of helpless fear at the time that we either had to embrace this guy's success or suffer. So we grit our teeth and embraced it, and it's worked out rather well, but c'mon, the guy's forty now, he's a real actor already!
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone take the oscars serious anymore? I know i dont. Bunch of old farts...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5