• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yōjo Senki Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hollow Shrine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Good god, this artwork is awesome.
drakenfyre75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
The cover art definitely caught my eye, very nice Smile
乞わん

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
The Hollow Shrine wrote:
Good god, this artwork is awesome.

It's hard to imagine the anime's art being anywhere close. Just like Overlord's LN art got more standardised for the anime.

Also the LN contains very long passages where war machinery and war tactics are explained in great details. That won't translate well to screen. Very likely the anime will either be slow paced and won't get anywhere or it'll skip a lot a feel rushed.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I have hopes that this won't be a typical light novel adaption. There are lots of great light novels out there but only the really generic ones get anime, usually. I hope this is one that bucks that trend, because as others are saying, the art work is fantastic.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I also think that the art looks very good, and I hope that the adaptation will manage to retain it as much as possible.

乞わん wrote:
Also the LN contains very long passages where war machinery and war tactics are explained in great details. That won't translate well to screen. Very likely the anime will either be slow paced and won't get anywhere or it'll skip a lot a feel rushed.

Is the narrator explaining them, or that in-universe characters are talking to each other and whatnot? If that's the usual "I'm XXX and I'm XXX old, I live at XXX" full self-exposition thing, then I consider it as a narrative blander. But if that exposition is explained in-universe (like a lecture or something), then it might work, IMO.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
they might as well skip those explanations, that seems to be the current course of action of "japanese person gets thrown in jrpg world", especially if jrpg world has a lot of rules.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
乞わん wrote:

Since the reviews on this site usually aren't afraid to call out various anime for their unsavory parts, I thought the users would champion progress too, but it seems I was wrong.

Umm, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us haven't read this series since most people here likely can't read Japanese? So maybe hold off on the insults until after everyone has caught up on the story? Smart people don't immediately judge something because one guy in a forum said it sucked.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
All right, everyone, stop with the personal attacks and calling people names. You can argue, but do it politely without calling people names or insulting them. I'll be going through the thread and cleaning it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, is like those people getting offended over Mahouka main antagonist (the Japanese Government itself) all over again :v

I'm surprised GATE didn't cause even more polemic. In any case, this novel seems pretty okay compared to the YAMATO DAMASHII of those two (if it even have any content like that), so I don't really understand the issue in here. Trolls are going to troll, I guess. Go back to /pol/.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, well, if anything, this has REALLY peeked my interest. It sounded kind of cool at first, but now, after working through this thread, I'm looking forward to it in a big way. It initially gave me Sunday Without God and Overlord vibes, and with the militaristic tones, maybe some Mahouka, so maybe Madhouse could do this justice.
fenlydesmond

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The title translate to "Loli Battle Chronicles"(Yojo meaning Little Girl can be misunderstood by filters). Set on alternate world of WORLD WAR 1 around 1930s were Nazi's never came into power or even have the slightest possibility of existing, You might think the Uniform is a reference towards Nazi but German Empire already used them before and was only slightly changed and modernized by Nazis and the Iron Cross have been in used since the 1800s but was redesigned and still technically the same and up for decorating soldiers.

Last edited by fenlydesmond on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Same for me, the arts looks fantastic and has some Senjou no Valkyria X Overlord vibes (alternative fictive world, early 20th century tech mixed with magic, protagonist from another world).

Obviously I don't expect the anime to look as good as the original arts, if they can keep the same dark/crazy vibes (like Drifters) it should be good enough.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
The art looks out of this world.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the art looks phenomenal. The story sounds interesting, and I love me some war anime.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know in concrete what are the harmful elements of this LN, if any?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3