• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD's Doraemon Adaptation to Run in Japan With Bilingual Tracks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine some Japanese person turning it on and going, "DA FAKKU?!" Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The won't end well.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
If this was 2020 I'd say this is a way to familiarize Olympic tourists with Doraemon in Japan.* But it's not 2020 and that doesn't explain why they're dubbing the English version into Japanese. I know the US English version has a number of changes, but I was under the impression that it's pretty much the same show.

*I suspect a lot of Doraemon's recent international expansion can be attributed as trying to promote the character before the Olympics.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Interesting... A Japanese version of Disney X.D.'s Americanized English version of Doraemon. I wonder how the Japanese viewers will react now that they have a chance of seeing it.

Doraemon already did a series of elementary school "Let's Learn English" videos for kids back in the 80's, and is probably still licensed for kids' English afterschool-activity media, so--considering that Japan still sees him as a "kids' staple" everyone should grow up with at the age of 7 ( Rolling Eyes )--an English adaptation will be seen the same way.
Either a curiosity to practice on, or just same as all of Disney Channel Japan's bilingual airings of their other US shows.

CastMember1991 wrote:
I'm beginning to think Disney might be interested in buying the Doraemon franchise as a whole in a few years (at least in Japan). As a former Walt Disney World cast member (hence the name), I think it would be a great idea to add a Doraemon meet-and-greet to the Tomorrowland section of Tokyo Disneyland. I think it might be interesting to see a TDL advertisement featuring Doraemon and Mickey Mouse together. Of course, that's all a crazy hypothetical. But hey, it could happen.

That's really the issue here:
Staunch anti-dub fans who still go into hissy-fits over GARLIC PIZZA!!!! will see this as some sort of "conspiracy" against the original Japanese show, but it's Disney Channel airing the licensed property they now own, here and over there, in the way they show everything else they own on both countries' channels.

(And to be honest, I was hoping to see a Doraemon suit character make a promotional appearance at Epcot Japan, too, to build up hype for the first X-D US show, the same way that Club Penguin characters used to show up at the parks for a corporate promotional appearance once in a while.)
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Why would they inflict this on themselves? They already have the original material, tailored to their culture, without any inane American censorship.

You do realize they pretty much worked on and approved these changes themselves, right? And the changes aren't really that inane. They're more like inconsistent. At least the English dub was excellent. I'm more sad that Doraemon got axed from the schedule.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Cool,can we an English dub of Smile Precure to see the differences too?What?just stuck with Glitter Force?okay,then...

They should get English dubs of the anime edited by 4Kids so they could feel what we have suffered...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Cool,can we an English dub of Smile Precure to see the differences too?What?just stuck with Glitter Force?okay,then...

They should get English dubs of the anime edited by 4Kids so they could feel what we have suffered...

Well, as I recall from actually having, ahem, WATCHED the Doraemon dub Mad , we didn't "suffer" anything, really:
Evil Pizza aside, very little was changed visually, and there were almost no cuts except for the premiere episode.
Oh, and for those who actually watched it (or got up early during the last Disney World trip to watch it at 6am on the hotel X-D channel before hitting the park breakfasts Anime smile ), BangZoom, strangely enough, seemed to get the jokes in the original episodes and translate them accordingly, which is something we cannot say about certain other "kiddy show" dubs that spring nimbly to mind.

There's some riding desire to wish that 4Kids did the mainstream dub, so we can all put it in the same sentence with Glitter Force, but, er, they didn't.
So, uh, that's that, then--What was your point about 4Kids again?
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

Or Saban's Digimon and DIC's Sailor Moon.

I heard a rumor that 4Kids was infamous even among the production companies in Japan.

I wish someone would do reaction videos where we see how the Japanese react and read their comments.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess if Disney wanted to release the show on DVD over here, they would have no trouble making it bilingual...
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

Sigh... -_-
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how long it'll take to get fansubbed... Laughing

Anyways, the Doraemon dub more than makes up for any censorship by being absolutely hilarious and well cast, and now I guess if it ever gets a DVD release (please Disney) it can even appease those who wouldn't buy without a Japanese track Laughing
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
If this was 2020 I'd say this is a way to familiarize Olympic tourists with Doraemon in Japan.* But it's not 2020 and that doesn't explain why they're dubbing the English version into Japanese. I know the US English version has a number of changes, but I was under the impression that it's pretty much the same show.

*I suspect a lot of Doraemon's recent international expansion can be attributed as trying to promote the character before the Olympics.

I think they want people to know about the character early so they know what they're seeing whenever they watch the Olympics on NBC.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing a disasterpiece, what a waste, how about licensing the real Doraemon with minor edits if necessary and no bowdlerization.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Dubbing a disasterpiece, what a waste, how about licensing the real Doraemon with minor edits if necessary and no bowdlerization.

To my understanding, thats literally what they did?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

I heard a rumor that 4Kids was infamous even among the production companies in Japan.

They don't care. Companies like Toei are big multinational corporations. Do ya believe they care less about making money
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3