• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manliest Bromances

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
No One Piece? It's so bromantic you're surprised they don't have more yaoi of it.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
TFW you realize you ship half the pairs on this list... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordAura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I personally thought the best Fate/Zero bromance was spoiler[Gilgamesh and Kirei.]

They were the first that popped into my head when I read the title.
Nephry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Very nice list, but my personal favorite would have to be Ban and Ginji from GetBackers Very Happy All aboard the guilty pleasure train!
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the previously mentioned 4 and 6 position switch, I'd switch #2 and #1 position as well. My rationale being that Jigen would walk out on some of lupin's stupid gigs while Kamina would never walk out on Simon.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Marzan wrote:
Whenever I think bromance, Reinhard von Logrenhamm and Siegfried Kircheis come to mind.

That's not a bromance. That's a straight up romance.

Mittermeyer and Reuenthal is a bromance. Or Olivier Poplan and Ivan Konev.

I was looking for this pairing too, but I think penguintruth is right: they went straight past the "bro" part. Very Happy Really good list though.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
i'm glad to see that edward was 1st on the poll.
Optitron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Kinda sad not seeing Albert and Franz from Gankutsuou on the list. You'd kinda think spoiler[taking your friend's place in a duel to the death and actually losing your life as a result] would put you somewhere in the top five at least.
Also, this week's poll is cruel. I thought maybe I could winnow it down to my favorite until I realized that "Studio Ghibli" would include Whisper of the Heart as well. If it was just "Miyazaki" films then maybe I could pick, but having to choose between Nausicaa and Shizuku - I can't do it! I recuse myself!!
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Whenever I think bromance, Reinhard von Logrenhamm and Siegfried Kircheis come to mind.

For me it's Reuenthal and Mittermeier. I hope that the new anime will do justice to them because Reuenthal's story arc and the way Mittermeier is involved in it is one of the best of its kind that I've read.

penguintruth wrote:
Mittermeyer and Reuenthal is a bromance.

You know, if one stops to think about it, it's very very easy to see it as a one-sided romance...

There's also Harry and Brandon from Gungrave. Sure, there are a few hiccups on the way (including one killing the other...) but the finale is one of the most bromantic things ever.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
How the Hell did ALUCARD not make the list for best Anime Male character with long hair. Confused
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
How the Hell did ALUCARD not make the list for best Anime Male character with long hair. Confused

The hat. I always thought he looked a bit wrong without it. Look on the bright side, it's the same red blazer as Al. Speaking of FMA...

While I find it hard to argue against Maes and Roy, I find it easy to counter argue Krillin and Goku. "Goku, why aren't you here?!" and need I mention "Frieza, you killed my best friend" and super saiyan ensues. They end up married... both to women, eventually and in Goku's case, somehow... but it always felt it could have gone another way. Maes was happily married and a loving father and while Goku was married and a father, both those were afterthoughts for him and always took a back seat to training and fighting.

Sure, he saved the world but he had a better relationship with the no nose monk than his wife or his son. And the second son? Forget it... No really. Chi-chi misread Goku's last note before he died and thought "forgotten" was "for goten".

A long way to go for little pay off, I'll admit it.

Favorite Ghibli Protagonist? That's easy, it's the only character who has a story rather than a series of events followed by a realization that ends the story and who has a mysterious backstory that propels the plot rather than a character that just appears fully formed and complete from scene one, a character who's neither perfect or good yet who's still noble and honorable. And because of this, this protagonist is really his own antagonist.

Oh, did I mention he's a pig?

Porco Rosso. The story he tells of why he doesn't use his plane's guns should be good enough.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'll add Sakamichi no Apollon and Samurai Flamenco to the list, unless they are not "manly" enough.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
Kinda sad not seeing Albert and Franz from Gankutsuou on the list. You'd kinda think spoiler[taking your friend's place in a duel to the death and actually losing your life as a result] would put you somewhere in the top five at least.

Probably because Franz's feelings are more explicitly romantic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Are Kenshiro x Rei, Kenshin x Sanosuke, Guts x Griffith spoiler[(before shitstorm)] counted as bromance?

Gotta say I agree. If you want the manliest bromances, then you want two of the manliest characters of all time.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ryboom wrote:
If Fullmetal Alchemist is on your "Manliest Bromance" list, the entry MUST be Armstrong and Sigu Curtis.

unfortunately curtis isnt part of the main cast and he haven't been in the series often enough to get warrant on this list. though mustang and havoc is another story.

also if i recall, his killer only got lighten up from mustang when envy foolishly decides to appear as his wife.not dressed up as him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3