• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Jump Launches 2 New Series in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telekinetickhai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
aww yeahh~! I LOVED Koisome Momiji! Some of the best art imo and I love its style of romantic comedy + good heartwarming moments Smile

But why does the artist HAVE to do it on Shonen Jump?! As previous posts have mentioned, WSJ has a tendency to cancel romcoms very quickly Sad
Why not Shonen Sunday for example? They seem more forgiving and their titles are more romcom-inclined.

In any case I hope this new title will be a good one.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Still sounds better than "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" (brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department) or "Attack on Titan" (for there to be an attack "on" something, "Titan" would have to either be a place or a single being, not a group of giants. "Attack of the Titans" or "Attack on the Titans" would be the more grammatically correct title for the series).

lots of people tought it happened in that moon (that might still be true, lol).

Kadmos1 wrote:
Even if this new onsen ghost thing is cancelled, it could be popular/short enough to get an anime. Through this, it's possible that it would get re-serialized.

nah, those really do that bad that they don't even get an anime.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
Telekinetickhai wrote:

But why does the artist HAVE to do it on Shonen Jump?! As previous posts have mentioned, WSJ has a tendency to cancel romcoms very quickly Sad
Why not Shonen Sunday for example? They seem more forgiving and their titles are more romcom-inclined.

Jump sells waaay more. Sunday in particular has been struggling for a while, sustained by a handful of hits that don't translate into sales of the magazine itself.

Most artists aim for the book they read the most themselves. If he grew up reading Katsura then in his mind Jump is where the great romcoms are.

You do get a few authors that migrate to other magazines, but it's rare; most people stick with their first magazine, or at least the first publisher.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The second thing is that there is traditionally room for only one romance series in WSJ, and that spot is currently occupied by Nisekoi, which, looking at the ratings, is not going anywhere.

That might be changing later this year though - all signs point to Nisekoi ending relatively soon, and I'd be surprised if the series goes on past 2016. So to me it makes sense that editorial staff is giving the go ahead on a new potential RomCom series.

I kind of hope you're right. I still get some enjoyment out of the series, but I've heard people that are ahead of me (reading wise) that the manga becomes very aimless, and I've yet to reach near the point they're at...

I may end up dropping it and just try to sell off the volumes I've collected so far.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally, it got aimless pretty early on. But the series is resolving running plot threads, and as a result, has become less aimless.

As I read Nisekoi I feel like this aimlessness is simply part of Naoshi Komi's style. Either that, or he never planned for Nisekoi to last as long as it did, and he just stuffed the series full of manga-filler.

At the very least though, Nisekoi is dignified enough to keep fanservice to a minimum.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Telekinetickhai wrote:
aww yeahh~! I LOVED Koisome Momiji! Some of the best art imo and I love its style of romantic comedy + good heartwarming moments Smile

In any case I hope this new title will be a good one.

I've often wondered this myself; I tend to like Sunday's pacing more than Jump's. But Bakuman has taught me that new manga-ka sign multi-year contracts with their preferred publisher at the start just so that they *can't* jump from magazine to magazine, even if their pitches get rejected or their series get cancelled and they don't end up with a successful series for a while.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
As I read Nisekoi I feel like this aimlessness is simply part of Naoshi Komi's style. Either that, or he never planned for Nisekoi to last as long as it did, and he just stuffed the series full of manga-filler.

For me, it started to feel aimless once the focus on finding out what's inside the locket shifted to introducing other girls and then doing kind of SoL chapters.

As for why, I do believe that it does have to do a bit with the (probably) surprise success of the title. Before this, Komi had only one other multi-volume manga in Double Arts. Which, to me, sounds like a pretty interesting series...and would like to see Komi redo that one now that he has a large fanbase.

But, unsure if that will happen. Mainly because, at times, it feels like some fanbases want "more of the same", and they may not be interested in checking out a non-harem series by Komi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2