• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls Frontline Developer Responds to Mushibugyo Design Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
While I feel bad for the gaming company to some degree, China put itself in this situation by flaunting or ignoring copy right law for decades. There was a top gear episode solely on car concepts that China flat out stole and the government itself just hand waived it and moved on. And these were not just things that happened a long time ago, some of these are as recent as a few years. But now that the country starting to move forward into a period where it actually needs those laws for itself, the hypocrisy strong with this one.

To be fair, East Asian countries has ripped off each other from ancient times. Just look how many countries from the Sino-sphere has pagodas and many similar cultural elements from each other. This is probably a cultural thing.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
WOW it really does look like Shonen Sunday plagiarized that character from Girls Frontline Hell SS even changed it immediately after Wave-Games pointed it out. Neutral
jirg1901

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
Those 8000 followers could be bots or bought followers. Don't believe everything about huge numbers of followers, views, etc at its face value.

It's a pretty small number anyways.

On the other hand when Sumire Uesaka retweeted the announcement of the character she was voicing that put it front of an audience of 366,000 who reasonably would have at least heard of it.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
While I feel bad for the gaming company to some degree, China put itself in this situation by flaunting or ignoring copy right law for decades [...] the hypocrisy strong with this one.

Come on now, this isn't the dark ages: just because the artist's Chinese doesn't mean that "now it's their turn!!" to have their design ripped off.

CrownKlown wrote:
Besides, ultimately what are the damages, how many more copies of the work did the author sell at the expense of the game. They are basically mutually exclusive markets and any damage was minimal to none.

Do note that all the original artist asked for was a formal apology, not monetary compensation. They had offered Shonen Sunday an easy way to save face; all they got in return was a condescending "your game was never popular anyway!". As other posters here (and, interestingly, on the Japanese article) have pointed out, not the most mature response.

Just in case anybody else wanted to know, the most upvoted comments on the original article uniformly chide Shonen Sunday for its rude response and make fun of Mushibugyo for being an unpopular work itself, serialized in a dying magazine.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
No offense, but Girls Frontline isn't THAT big of a name that everyone is familiar with. I've never heard of it, and I'm a pretty big nerd. 8000 followers is also... well...

Also, China company complaining about stealing....

(alleged) Theft is theft. I will admit that my bias made me think that a Chinese artist stole from a Japanese artist, then I read the exact opposite.

It was such a drastic change in design! I don't know. That feels like guilt, and it also feels like they actually saw this Chinese design, found it much cuter than what they had, and nicked it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2