• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood License to Expire in March

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
I certainly hope Aniplex takes Kuroshitsuji back, that way if/when we get more anime, we'll have a lot more chances of getting it in CR
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
I hate it when I'm right, I really do. Next will probably be some Sentai titles. (Looking at Angel Beats) But I assume Aniplex wont even touch From the New World due to it tanking, so yeah. But why FMAB!? FMA was so lackluster with not only its cheap cues of being too serious for the demographic it revolves around. Plus the dub was a bit weaker compared to what we get now in dubs imo. But either way, this is a sad day.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Damn sometimes I hate being right and Brotherhood was one of my favorites curse you Aniplex I hope you Rot!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
They'll be able to milk it for just a bit longer, but FMA is one of FUNi's major cashcows. Seems like the future really is just cutting out the middlemen so I wonder if any other big Japanese producers with a constant stream of big series will follow (not Pony Canyon). They might see the future in non-Japanese licensing come from streaming, with discs only being an expensive collector's afterthought.

CrowLia wrote:
I certainly hope Aniplex takes Kuroshitsuji back, that way if/when we get more anime, we'll have a lot more chances of getting it in CR

If Aniplex sees it as a big enough seller, they'll just keep it for themselves and market it themselves.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Getting a little worried about what the future of Funimation is going to be now. With AoA taking back on their titles and getting all the popular shows each season, this doesn't look good for them. I bet we see less dubs from Funimation now, as I imagine they are going to have to cut some costs.

Still predicting more Japanese companies entering into the R1 region this year or next. Funimation and Sentai may be start going the way of media blasters and discotek before the decade is over. Still licensing newer shows, but releasing more subs-only series.

Wouldn't surprise me anyway. Aniplex will kill the North American anime market, and taking back all these titles of Funimation is the next step.

Last edited by Razor/Edge on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
I already own the whole series but The first 3 are dvds while the rest are blu-ray... I still have to try out 2003 for myself so I should probably get to that sooner than later.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Why are people freaking out? Its not like the license expiring means all of a sudden the blu rays and dvds that are out vanish from the earth. All of these shows were printed several times over, outside of bacanno blu ray, and are relatively common to the point I never see it being hard to find these. I honestly think people are freaking out about nothing, and most of these show wills be readily available on amazon and ebay for years to come.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
I am pretty livid at the news, but at the same time, I feel a sense of "I told you so" about what Aniplex is up to here.

I'm developing a theory that this might be Aniplex starting a phased withdrawal from the US market outside of streams. There is not much on the physical release calendar from AoA outside of YLIA, DRRR, and Saekano (whose ultimate form of release is unknown) now that SAO is wrapped up. I am sure Erased will get a physical release, but honestly, what else by Aniplex has made an impact over the last year? Even Charlotte's chances at a dub and physical release look iffy. And I don't even know if DRRR will complete its physical release either, it has not been lighting up the sales charts and that union dub is expensive.

Aniplex of America is a protectorate, not a licensor, and Aniplex's behavior here at not allowing FUNimation to renew their licenses continue to show the true intentions of the company. This is not about serving the American market, this is to protect the Japanese sales due to reverse importation paranoia. At this point I doubt Black Butler Season 3 will even get a Stateside release.

The loss of FMA is a staggering blow to FUNimation at all levels. FMA was a moneymaker for both Aniplex and FUNimation this way. Now this franchise is about to go to anime purgatory the way Sailor Moon once was, the product of memories and episode circulation. I am sure Aniplex will stream it on CR, but any physical release will be quadruple or quintuple what FUNi is offering, especially for a Blu-Ray, assuming it gets one at all.

Aniplex has likely made the decision to quit the American market in order to protect the Japanese sales. So they're going to pull their licenses from the third parties that still have them by making it impossible for the licensors to renew, and then they'll draw back on the physical releases and dubs outside of those who get popular Stateside in spite of Aniplex's behavior. If an anime somehow gets popular Stateside, they'll have Bang Zoom hack out a non-union dub and put out a quick, prohibitively expensive physical release to make a quick buck and never re-release it again.

This is taking the ball and going home. Which is what Aniplex's rep said would happen on ANNcast last year if things got bad. Coincidence? I think not.

And good riddance. They're so paranoid of losing otaku sales that they'll abandon the American market? They deserve the slow, painful fall that will be coming to them as their sales atrophy anyway.

Last edited by macattack on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
I guess this will finally be the push for me to upgrade FMA 03 to blu-ray. Had been holding off on doing it for a while, but the writing is on the wall and it seems if Brotherhood is already going then FMA 03 won't be that far behind. After this though there are no more Aniplex titles that Funimation has that I don't already own (at least ones that I want. I couldn't care less about Sekirei or Black Butler).
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
I am damn glad my fear over FUNi losing Darker than Black and Baccano! made me pull the trigger and drop $105 on the complete collections of FMA 03, Brotherhood, and the Brotherhood OVAs on Amazon. I already had Shamballa and Milos, so now I have it all. Very Happy

I feel bad for future generations of anime fans though, as they will now have to put up with Aniplex's bullcrap prices(y'all know damn well this is gonna be one of those few shows they re-release after gaining the license back). The era of affordable FMA is over. Crying or Very sad

Consequently, this trend is making me drop a part of my tax return on the Aniplex titles that I really want that are still selling for cheap before Aniplex gets them back and jacks up the price like Angel Beats! and Soul Eater.

no kidding. i am definitely not a fan of this move. i could get aniplex wanting the license for darker than black and the other series, but FMA?? are they insane???

they had to knew it would be a massive backlash if they try to take that license away from funi. i really hope they dont do something stupid like using a complete new english dub cast for their versions,that's a disaster in the making.

aniplex should take the example from marvel and leave some of their products alone with other companies. so far it worked for marvel since x-men is doing well by fox and spider man by sony, so this is one time they should let funi keep the FMA franchise completely if they want to keep its reputation intact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
At this point I doubt Black Butler Season 3 will even get a Stateside release.

http://shop.funimation.com/Season-Three-Limited-Edition

Well, actually, your doubts have been cleared, as season 3 for Bl. Butler has been licensed and will be ready for home video release someday.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

CrowLia wrote:

If Aniplex sees it as a big enough seller, they'll just keep it for themselves and market it themselves.

For home video sure and I won't buy it anymore than I did Funi's release, but it'd be nice to see it streamed. Aniplex is pretty generous with Latin America when it comes to streaming, we get pretty much all of their shows in CR and the big hits often find their way into Netflix
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Any guesses on what's next? What's the most popular Aniplex-adjacent anime Funimation has left?

If Hulu's expiration dates are to be believed (and so far they've all been accurate), the next to go will be FMA '03 in July and Birdy the Mighty: Decode in October.

WTK compiled a full list of Hulu expiration dates over at The Fandom Post, which I also posted on the FUNimation forums as well. You can find it here:

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9892-The-OFFICIAL-quot-Expiring-Aniplex-Titles-quot-Master-List

As a FUNimation Forum mod, are you notified about license expirations before the general public or are you in the same boat as the rest of us?
metroid24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
i feel bad I've only seen a few eps of FMA LOOKS LIKE I may have to pick em up I just hope they have both in bluray box sets
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Damn you Aniplex looks like I'm going to pick up the Brotherhood series on Amazon while I still can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14