• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood License to Expire in March

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I am pretty livid at the news, but at the same time, I feel a sense of "I told you so" about what Aniplex is up to here.

I'm developing a theory that this might be Aniplex starting a phased withdrawal from the US market outside of streams. There is not much on the physical release calendar from AoA outside of YLIA, DRRR, and Saekano (whose ultimate form of release is unknown) now that SAO is wrapped up. I am sure Erased will get a physical release, but honestly, what else by Aniplex has made an impact over the last year? Even Charlotte's chances at a dub and physical release look iffy. And I don't even know if DRRR will complete its physical release either, it has not been lighting up the sales charts and that union dub is expensive.

Aniplex of America is a protectorate, not a licensor, and Aniplex's behavior here at not allowing FUNimation to renew their licenses continue to show the true intentions of the company. This is not about serving the American market, this is to protect the Japanese sales due to reverse importation paranoia. At this point I doubt Black Butler Season 3 will even get a Stateside release.

The loss of FMA is a staggering blow to FUNimation at all levels. FMA was a moneymaker for both Aniplex and FUNimation this way. Now this franchise is about to go to anime purgatory the way Sailor Moon once was, the product of memories and episode circulation. I am sure Aniplex will stream it on CR, but any physical release will be quadruple or quintuple what FUNi is offering, especially for a Blu-Ray, assuming it gets one at all.

Aniplex has likely made the decision to quit the American market in order to protect the Japanese sales. So they're going to pull their licenses from the third parties that still have them by making it impossible for the licensors to renew, and then they'll draw back on the physical releases and dubs outside of those who get popular Stateside in spite of Aniplex's behavior. If an anime somehow gets popular Stateside, they'll have Bang Zoom hack out a non-union dub and put out a quick, prohibitively expensive physical release to make a quick buck and never re-release it again.

This is taking the ball and going home. Which is what Aniplex's rep said would happen on ANNcast last year if things got bad. Coincidence? I think not.

And good riddance. They're so paranoid of losing otaku sales that they'll abandon the American market? They deserve the slow, painful fall that will be coming to them as their sales atrophy anyway.

Another thing that may support this is they've been letting A-1 Pictures-made shows be licensed by FUNi and Sentai a lot more frequently recently. Like FUNi got Ultimate Otaku Teacher and Grimgar while Sentai got GATE and Perfect Insider. Maybe Aniplex themselves are only holding onto the A-1 shows they think can really bring in the cash and let the rest go to whoever the hell wants them? I dunno. I just know a couple of years ago you had to pry A-1 Pictures shows from Aniplex's cold dead hands and now they are practically giving them away to FUNi and Sentai.

metroid24 wrote:
i feel bad I've only seen a few eps of FMA LOOKS LIKE I may have to pick em up I just hope they have both in bluray box sets

They do indeed. FMA 03 got a collection of all 51 episodes in one box last year and Brotherhood is split into two boxes. All three are around $30 each on Amazon last I checked.

Last edited by Koda89 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
As a FUNimation Forum mod, are you notified about license expirations before the general public or are you in the same boat as the rest of us?

'Fraid not. I have to find out all my info second hand just like everyone else. Neutral
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
once again I am glad I own all of full metal alchemist and brotherhood, but if this keeps up frankly it's going to get too expensive to be an anime fan, unless your some snobby well of wanker who insults everyone to high hell for not dropping a grand on one title, not that any title can be priced at over a grand and if they want to do that and insult others then that's their opinion and right to be a douche
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
I'm frankly surprised that Funi seems to be letting go of this one without a fight. I mean, it's FMA! Welp, time to order my own copy instead of mooching off of my sister. ^^;
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

aniplex should take the example from marvel and leave some of their products alone with other companies. so far it worked for marvel since x-men is doing well by fox and spider man by sony, so this is one time they should let funi keep the FMA franchise completely if they want to keep its reputation intact.

Not a very good comparison. If Disney and Marvel could, they'd take back all of the properties they don't control. The sad fact is Marvel made some shitty deals back in the 90s that basically sold off the film rights to some of their most popular characters, so they can get their publishing out of bankruptcy. These deals pretty much last forever as long as new films get made.

Also, Sony isn't doing well with Spider-Man at all. Their last one was a relative bomb, and the reason why they've entered a partnership with Disney and Marvel. Outside of the last 2 X-Men films and the last Wolverine, FOX wasn't doing too hot either. A lot of their stuff is a critical failure and some a financial failure. It's an embarrassment to Marvel, but they can't do anything about it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I am pretty livid at the news, but at the same time, I feel a sense of "I told you so" about what Aniplex is up to here.

I'm developing a theory that this might be Aniplex starting a phased withdrawal from the US market outside of streams. There is not much on the physical release calendar from AoA outside of YLIA, DRRR, and Saekano (whose ultimate form of release is unknown) now that SAO is wrapped up. I am sure Erased will get a physical release, but honestly, what else by Aniplex has made an impact over the last year? Even Charlotte's chances at a dub and physical release look iffy. And I don't even know if DRRR will complete its physical release either, it has not been lighting up the sales charts and that union dub is expensive.

Aniplex of America is a protectorate, not a licensor, and Aniplex's behavior here at not allowing FUNimation to renew their licenses continue to show the true intentions of the company. This is not about serving the American market, this is to protect the Japanese sales due to reverse importation paranoia. At this point I doubt Black Butler Season 3 will even get a Stateside release.

The loss of FMA is a staggering blow to FUNimation at all levels. FMA was a moneymaker for both Aniplex and FUNimation this way. Now this franchise is about to go to anime purgatory the way Sailor Moon once was, the product of memories and episode circulation. I am sure Aniplex will stream it on CR, but any physical release will be quadruple or quintuple what FUNi is offering, especially for a Blu-Ray, assuming it gets one at all.

Aniplex has likely made the decision to quit the American market in order to protect the Japanese sales. So they're going to pull their licenses from the third parties that still have them by making it impossible for the licensors to renew, and then they'll draw back on the physical releases and dubs outside of those who get popular Stateside in spite of Aniplex's behavior. If an anime somehow gets popular Stateside, they'll have Bang Zoom hack out a non-union dub and put out a quick, prohibitively expensive physical release to make a quick buck and never re-release it again.

This is taking the ball and going home. Which is what Aniplex's rep said would happen on ANNcast last year if things got bad. Coincidence? I think not.

And good riddance. They're so paranoid of losing otaku sales that they'll abandon the American market? They deserve the slow, painful fall that will be coming to them as their sales atrophy anyway.

I think they'll finish up the series' that they've already been releasing, like Durarara and Monogatari, but yeah, I'm pretty much with you on most of this. I've been saying it pretty consistently for a while now. In particular that Aniplex of America is a protectorate. Everything about their releases is tailored to make it as unattractive as possible for reverse importation. I don't think they will entirely give up on physical releases though. They are very smart businessmen. They know that would be leaving a a lot of money on the table. I suspect they will continue giving physical releases to the biggest shows, which will offset whatever reverse importation they think is going on, and make everything else stream only. It's a pretty solid business plan. I've gotta give them props for it, to be honest. If reverse importation is as deadly to them as they seem to think it is, they are making the right move and I don't think they'll have that slow painful fall that you are hoping for. I think it'll be very successful for them. And could potentially lead to more companies following suit. Unfortunately for me, I like to collect a lot of niche stuff(the kind of stuff that they won't be giving a physical release), so that'll pretty much just remove me from anime collecting entirely.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
There is not much on the physical release calendar from AoA outside of YLIA, DRRR, and Saekano (whose ultimate form of release is unknown) now that SAO is wrapped up.
We already know how Saekano will be released.
http://www.saekano.com/bd-dvd/

Two Blu-ray singles that are missing the CD's and booklets from the Japanese release.

The reason why the release slate is light is because they're still waiting for the Japanese releases to finish on some stuff. Here's what they still haven't released and their final Japanese releases.
Charlotte | Last JPBD: 3/23/2016
Classroom Crisis | Last JPBD: 4/27/2016
Dou kyu sei | Last JPBD: TBD
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu | Last JPBD: TBD
Erased | Last JPBD: 6/22/2016
Fate/stay night: Heaven’s Feel | Last JPBD: TBD
God Eater | Last JPBD: 4/21/2016
Gunslinger Stratos | Last JPBD: 11/25/2015
Owarimonogatari | Last JPBD: 4/27/2016
Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu-hen | Last JPBD: TBD
Kizumonogatari Part 2: Nekketsu-hen | Last JPBD: TBD
Kizumonogatari Part 3: Reiketsu-hen | Last JPBD: TBD
Nisekoi: | Last JPBD: 11/25/2015
Persona 3: The Movie 4: Winter of Rebirth | Last JPBD: TBD
Plastic Memories | Last JPBD: 12/23/2015
The Asterisk War | Last JPBD: 5/25/2016
Wagnaria!!3 | Last JPBD: 3/30/2016 (Special)

And the following won't get released.
Day Break Illusion | Last JPBD: 3/26/2014
Mekakucity Actors | Last JPBD: 12/24/2014
Mushishi: Zoku-shou | Last JPBD: 12/17/2014
Mushishi: Zoku-shou 2 | Last JPBD: 7/22/2015
Nanana’s Buried Treasure | Last JPBD: 11/26/2014
Samurai Flamenco | Last JPBD: 10/22/2014
Quote:
At this point I doubt Black Butler Season 3 will even get a Stateside release.
As pointed out in the thread, Black Butler S3 has already been solicited, it comes out in April.
http://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray?keywords=Black%20Butler%20Book%20of%20Circus
It is one of the only Aniplex titles to get licensed not by AoA in the past few years, but it was a sequel.
Quote:
I am sure Aniplex will stream it on CR, but any physical release will be quadruple or quintuple what FUNi is offering, especially for a Blu-Ray, assuming it gets one at all.
I wouldn't count too much on that. There's LOADS of Aniplex titles that aren't streaming. See the bottom of this list.
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=781052

Aniplex Japan will charge an arm and a leg, and AoA may turn it down as it may be too expensive, and catalog series are of no concern to them. AoA has never gotten a show for free.
Koda89 wrote:
Another thing that may support this is they've been letting A-1 Pictures-made shows be licensed by FUNi and Sentai a lot more frequently recently. Like FUNi got Ultimate Otaku Teacher and Grimgar while Sentai got GATE and Perfect Insider. Maybe Aniplex themselves are only holding onto the A-1 shows they think can really bring in the cash and let the rest go to whoever the hell wants them? I dunno. I just know a couple of years ago you had to pry A-1 Pictures shows from Aniplex's cold dead hands and now they are practically giving them away to FUNi and Sentai.
Because Aniplex isn't involved with them, or doesn't have international rights. Yes Aniplex owns A-1 Pictures, similar to how NTV owns Madhouse, but that doesn't mean every A-1 Pictures show will have Aniplex involved just like how many Madhouse shows don't have NTV involved (Like they weren't involved with One Punch Man). Sentai got GATE from Showgate, Perfect Insider Sentai got from Fuji TV, Grimgar FUNi got from Toho, and FUNimation got Ultimate Otaku Teacher from YTV. Some of these had Aniplex involvement, others didn't, but Aniplex didn't have international rights.

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
And as pointed out, the people to blame ARE the people that supported Aniplex's insane prices. This is what happens when you support greed. Of course, most of these same fans probably don't care because they're more wealthy (or their parents are) than most people.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Now I need find 80 bucks so I can completely own Brotherhood Asap damn unemployment
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm frankly surprised that Funi seems to be letting go of this one without a fight. I mean, it's FMA! Welp, time to order my own copy instead of mooching off of my sister. ^^;
I wont pretend to be an expert, but I imagine that it's just not an option. If Aniplex says they aren't interested in licensing their shows out anymore, not much that can be done about that. I mean, if there was anything they could do to keep the show around, Funi probably would have done so.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
And as pointed out, the people to blame ARE the people that supported Aniplex's insane prices. This is what happens when you support greed. Of course, most of these same fans probably don't care because they're more wealthy (or their parents are) than most people.

Being such a person who buys Aniplex releases, I find this statement to be rather harsh and unfounded. I'll admit, their releases are very pricey, but being a fan of SAO and Magi, I was 100% supporting the releases of these two titles. I definitely did not but these with the intent of Aniplex doing this and you can't prove this to be true anyway. Who's to say Aniplex wouldn't have done this either way? Oh yeah, I also pay for Aniplex releases with my own money that I earn from my job. Shame on you for insinuating only the wealthy's parents would be able to support such a purchase.

This is definitely unfortunate news nonetheless for fans of the series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well it's not like this wasn't predicted, but still it's harsh news.

I already own FMA:B on BD and the first series on DVD. Is there really a reason to upgrade for the original series? Based on it's age, I can't imagine there's a huge upgrade in visual quality, but I'm open to hearing what those who have upgraded say.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well with anime prices being what they are these days, even for bare-bones DVD releases, moves like this are making it hard for anime fans to actually support companies. With illegal streaming and torrenting already so proliferate, moves like this force fans to do exactly what they companies don't want, stream and torrent. It's a viscous cycle. Of course the way to fix that is to lower anime prices to the same level of regular cartoons and television shows and sell them like that.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
After all Funi has done for Aniplex and the anime industry in general, this is a dog move by Aniplex. I know that Funimation don't own FMA, but they did a lot for it. I wish Aniplex would actually work with existing anime distributors, and maybe work together, rather than start their own US subsidiary and start taking their titles by force. Considering FMA is one of funimation's biggest franchises, I'm very worried for the future of funimation since not all the big name shows go to them anymore.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
My main concern is seeing Aniplex titles that are in AoA's hands not be licensed in Australia.

Ever since PonyCanUSA came around, all but 1 PCUSA title hasn't been licensed in Australia (unless I've missed something). The only one that has been licensed, was the series with the pink wombat, but that one was grabbed while PCUSA was still...I don't know, finding an office space to rent. Laughing

I don't always tend to gravitate to the bigger shows out there. I mean, AoA has Wagnaria 3, and I don't see them releasing that one on disc. NISA released 1 and 2, but I'd be shocked to see AoA release 3. A lot of shows I see are ones that I won't re-watch, so it remaining available streaming is of no importance to me.

But, the series I love, I want to have on disc, as I prefer to re-watch that way. I may just have to avoid Aniplex series in the future, if the time comes where I know there'd be no way for me to own the series of their's that I love.

Last edited by Ali07 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14