• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 25-31 [2016-02-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
mierin wrote:
So does this Osomatsu-san volume have one of those event ticket application or something? Or no extras at all?

Yep vol1 and vol2 gonna have event tickets

If anyone here is buying the BD or DVD, please please please let me have your event application serial!

*cough*

Considering the BD/DVD pre-order rankings at Animate are dominated by Osomatsu san, I expect the sales of volumes 3 and beyond will still be quite strong.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
"Osomatsu" is combined with DVD Sales at a staggering 90-100k! IN ONE VOLUME ZOMGGGGGG.

"Owarimonogatari" around 30k, pretty good!
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Wow, Mr. Osomatsu kicked Monogatari's ass. I knew about its popularity, but getting 35k in sales is amazing. Does anyone know if the first volume includes the original first episode?

I wouldn't be surprised if following episodes of Mr. Osomatsu talked about the sales of the BDs and made jokes about how they are not getting a single penny (I'm not watching the show, so if they have made that before, please correct me)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
Wow, Mr. Osomatsu kicked Monogatari's ass. I knew about its popularity, but getting 35k in sales is amazing. Does anyone know if the first volume includes the original first episode?

They already announced before that they would not be including the first broadcast episode and that it would instead be replaced by a new episode 3.5. So no, it does not include the original first episode.

chito895 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if following episodes of Mr. Osomatsu talked about the sales of the BDs and made jokes about how they are not getting a single penny (I'm not watching the show, so if they have made that before, please correct me)

The first volume just came out and the sales numbers released today so of course the subject hasn't been touched yet, but I definitely wouldn't put it past the staff to do something like that.
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's a shame. That first episode was hilarious. Thanks for answering!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Like... I knew Osomatsu was going to sell, but these numbers (+DVDs) are amazing. I'd be incredibly surprised if it didn't get a second season. In addition to liking the show itself, I'm happy because it's so different. It has a real history (60s gag comic/anime, then 80s anime, then this), it is stylistically unique, and it's just weird. Its primary audience is female, but it appeals to a wider demographic than that.

I wonder if the staff anticipated this at all or if they were blindsided. Sure, maybe they expected decent sales, but 70K+ sales for the first volume? Those numbers don't happen often.

GokuMew2 wrote:

If anyone here is buying the BD or DVD, please please please let me have your event application serial!

I bought the BD via Amazon Japan. I don't pay much attention to the applications because I'm ineligible (living in the US and all). So I'm not entirely sure about the specifics involved, but if it comes with one, you can have it.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hot damn. I wasn't expecting that.

If it holds out, Osomatsu-san might beat out Bakemonogatari for highest average sales for a season in a single production run. Then again, considering that there's an event ticket application, it's probably going to mirror Love Live!'s season 2 releases where the first one sold an insane amount but the rest "only" selling half as much, which is still pretty crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm beginning to suspect that those people, because of whom the original first episode was rejected and removed from all networks, now struggling in epileptic fit when see this numbers. Especially *um-hmm* Broccoli (parody absurd comedy outrided the sales of UtaPri? No one see THAT coming, no way), and *ahem-ahem* Toei.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't really get the popularity of Osomatsu-san. But props to it. That kind of success is pretty awesome, even if I'm never going to actually watch the whole thing. Almost certain they'll do more and the fans can really get into that.

Certainly not in that orbit, but glad to see continued good sales from Summer in Overlord and Symphogear. Gundam also doing pretty well.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Very nice of Osomatsu sell all most 80k but mostly in dvd sells
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Glad DRYL was able to push a few thousand copies,especially since it's the real and uncensored version, but the scan quality still leaves much to be desired. It's not the best restoration since the original negative likely hsd focus issues.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Gundam 0083 got pretty decent numbers, but I wish Prison School's were much higher and GATE averaged 6K to guarantee more after the 2nd season ends.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
One of the few shows from the past season that I never really planned to watch was Osomatsu-san. I might have to give it a shot, I guess.

Otherwise, this was a pretty strong week all around. 17 shows broke 3k sales and all 30 were above 2k.
Space Dandy getting almost 3k on the Blu-ray box seems pretty solid too. Too bad they didn't put subs on it. I would have definitely picked it up.
Owarimonogatari still in the 20s.
One Punch Man vol 2 breaking 8k. I'm extremely curious how many sales were international. I know several people who are importing them. Myself included.
Overlord vol 5 nearly at 9k. I still wouldn't count on a sequel for this one though. It's almost definitely a Madhouse curse victim even if they do get enough content in the next year or so.
Iron-Blooded Orphans probably had the most disappointing turn out with just around 7.5k for it's 2nd volume.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Osomination! Momogatari, Overlord, Sympho, etc. gonna *repeat names*. Well, that's it for DxD and TLR. Hoping for more seasons.

Great week.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Mr. Osomination! Momogatari, Overlord, Sympho, etc. gonna *repeat names*. Well, that's it for DxD and TLR. Hoping for more seasons.

Great week.

Why both sold over 5k, and DxD did that even with the controversy of the anime separating from the Light novel. Not to mention that was with direct competition of shinmai and a few other harem on the list.

I honestly think TLR, and even dxd will go on for a few more seasons, and I can see TLR lasting through the end of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3