• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mr. Osomatsu Volume 1 Tops Both Blu-ray & DVD Anime Charts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
That's just amazing. Season 2 is a sure thing now.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I am really happy this show is doing so well....does anyone really understand why it is doing THIS WELL though?

I mean yes it is a well written comedy and all, but these numbers are kinda something you would see for a studio ghibli movie or eva 3.33 or some really amazing gundam is mainstream thing again...not a two episode set of a tv show!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am really happy this show is doing so well....does anyone really understand why it is doing THIS WELL though?

Voice actors.

Female fans love 'em even more than male fans. While a Nana Mizuki event ticket may pull in another 5-7k sales from otaku than the show itself normally would, it's a much larger effect on female fans, especially when there's a large cast of 'em.

Take away the voice cast and replace 'em with newbies and the result would be very, very different. Of course, the work itself allows the voice actors to be at their best, so it's not like they can just trot out the same voices and expect a mega hit every time, but it's the key for Osomatsu's continued success I believe.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Well, first you have to take into account that this and the second volume come with event application codes. So the volumes after that are likely to decrease in sales. However, even if was split in half to around 30K, it'd still be great numbers.

It mostly comes down to the female demographic. As mentioned, the cast are all very, very popular. The show itself appeals to them, too. (Obviously fujoshi wound up liking it, but I have no idea how the overall breakdown is. Lots of people like grouping all female otaku as fujoshi, so it's difficult for me to delineate.) Still, Osomatsu appeals to a wider audience. Its fanservice is mostly confined to its F6 segments, which are over the top parodies to begin with. The stuff in the main storyline is either innocuous or played for laughs.

But this is only what I've noticed. Someone in Japan could probably give a clearer answer. My assumptions are essentially popular cast + hit the right notes for the female dem + wider appeal/writing = success.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
OH OK, so basically what we have here is a female love live situation to an extent? correct me if I am wrong but I think that it's a fairly appt comperasion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
No, I'd disagree with that. Love Live was popular because the characters appealed to moe fans. Honestly, the vocal cast of Love Live is not that impressive. It's the moe appeal of the characters that was the key to Love Live's success I believe.

Whereas Osomatsu's strength is the vocal cast. Practically the entire cast is prolific in the anime/otoge/BL scene.

There isn't a male-targeted show that could be considered the equivalent. As I've said before, the event ticket effect for male-targeted shows is nowhere near as large. Men (in general) just don't seem to care as much as women do (in general) when it comes to voice actors it seems.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, I'd disagree with that. Love Live was popular because the characters appealed to moe fans. Honestly, the vocal cast of Love Live is not that impressive. It's the moe appeal of the characters that was the key to Love Live's success I believe.

Whereas Osomatsu's strength is the vocal cast. Practically the entire cast is prolific in the anime/otoge/BL scene.

True I can understand that, but they basically follow the same underlying formula I think.
"popular cast/charcters + hit the right notes for the female/moe dem + wider appeal+ good writing = success."

Something I have always been surprised by with love live is just how much that free to play game popularized the series in the USA, and in particular with girls but I think that is a different matter all together.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I think writing off it's success only because female fanbase and seiyuu fans is REALLY not fair for the show. Because it's pretty damn great.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
I think writing off it's success only because female fanbase and seiyuu fans is REALLY not fair for the show. Because it's pretty damn great.

Most westerner's may not realize Osomatsu-san is a popular Fujio manga/anime series from back in the day. It's like Sazae-san and Doraemon. Huge in Japan, not so much here. You should be able to tell from the art style though and think "This looks kinda like Doraemon". It probably gets lost in all the incestuous fanart though.

Osomatsu is a funny show that appeals to both guys and gals. Attributing it's success and appeal to just one group does do the show a bit disservice considering how legendary the series is in Japan.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Good for Mr. Fujomatsu.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:

I'm not writing it off, but it's a huge factor. (Not sure entirely what you mean by female fanbase here; they're customers, just like male fanbases.) The seiyuu specifically are what's (most likely) causing the sales to be so high. People want those codes. Once we get to a volume that doesn't come with one, we'll have a better idea of what sales to generally expect. However, these sales are so large that they'll still be moving plenty of discs.

Osomatsu is well written (imo and all that jazz) and it has wide appeal. I think you can attribute popularity with the female demographic because of this--and the seiyuu/male cast. These VAs appear in tons of flops throughout the year, including in series that aimed for the female dem. Osomatsu has the voice actors, but also the writing to back it up. There are a handful of articles I've found in Japanese that discuss its popularity with female audiences. Doesn't mean it's not appealing to others--and to be fair, the female base is more likely to being drawing fanart and buying merch for this particular show, so the guys watching it might just not be as loud.

Basically, I'm not trying to say it's popular just because of fanservice or cast. (The former is played strategically and it keeps its general appeal, the latter bolsters the show.) It's just that the female demographic seems to be the ones buying it.
Artesox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

I'm still impressed with this picture http://i.imgur.com/hEhLz7a.jpg

I had never heard of this series until now but now I see it everywhere. I need to dedicate some time studying the shows from 60's ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1