• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PonyCan USA Announces Release Details for Garakowa Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm considering it for the Kantoku art. It's definitely overpriced by about $30-40 for a standard movie, but this does come with some nice extras.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Guess Pony Canyon USA will be doing import editions now too. But I wonder if this means that this set will not have the oversized case like their domestic releases.

I'm hoping they do more of these import editions. Being a movie, it's different than a series, obviously, but I would love to see them just put subs on their volume JP releases.

shuusei wrote:
I refuse to support Ponycan until they rid themselves of those horrid oversized cases. Absolutely ridiculous looking.

It's not an oversized case! So, good news shuusei, you can now support them!

SpacemanHardy wrote:
PonyCan's import release of Garakowa is $72 after discounts. The Garakowa movie itself, on the other hand, is only 67 minutes long....

In other words, Pony Canyon is charging you $1.07 *per minute* for a single movie.

It's not about the run time. It's about everything else. And this set comes with a lot of impressive content.

Last I checked a movie is about the damn movie. Not some extra crap on the side to sucker more people into being ok with paying absurd prices.

Of course, if there was a standard edition for half the price. Everyone can have their tea.

I wish Sunrise would do that with The Origin and their fucked 100$ per Movie price from TRS
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
how Ponycan releases Sound Euphonium will determine if I ever care about the company again and imo will probably determine if they'll survive in the NA market

I am convinced of the same. Euphonium can seriously determine how viable PonyCan's business model is. I also want Euphonium to be dubbed, and I hope that there really are standard edition options this time around.

If Eupho is getting a dub, I'd be shocked to see that series also have a standard edition release.

There are people that would buy a CE/LE if it comes with a dub, and I'd say PCUSA would be banking on that over the people that would like a SE release of Eupho. If they're going to poor in some extra $ in producing a dub, nothing they've done to date makes me think they'd release that in a SE.

MrBonk wrote:
Last I checked a movie is about the damn movie. Not some extra crap on the side to sucker more people into being ok with paying absurd prices.

People here have already said otherwise. This isn't the usual "buy a movie on disc", it's clear that this is a niche release, which will attract people that are interested in production values, soundtracks, those that worked on the series, and the like.

Personally, while I collect anime on disc, I'll never buy anything where I didn't love the show/movie. It's a part of the hobby that I'll never understand, buying something you find mediocre because you like the extras. The show/movie will always be the deciding factor on whether or not I will buy it on disc, and that goes hand-in-hand with which release of the series I buy (assuming that there is a collector's/limited/standard edition choice to make).

It's why I'll never own Rokka now. I liked that show enough to buy the standard release, but seeing as PCUSA took that option away, I decided that it was not worth my forking out extra $ to buy the collector's edition that they have released. I also would've gone in for a standard release of Denki-gai.

Add to that, it seems like all PCUSA licenses, post-High School Defense Club, haven't been brought over to Australia. And, seeing as our dollar is rubbish right now, I'd be looking at a $70USD release costing me close to $100AUD plus shipping. Confused
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:

I wish Sunrise would do that with The Origin and their fucked 100$ per Movie price from TRS

You can directly import the Standard Japanese release for Origin if you want. It's going to be about $50 shipped from Amazon Japan.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
MrBonk wrote:

You can directly import the Standard Japanese release for Origin if you want. It's going to be about $50 shipped from Amazon Japan.

This is probably true for Garakowa as well. As this release is an import it's fairly certain the Japanese edition already has the English subs(If they used different masters for overseas release, it wouldn't exactly count as 'import'...)

And we can presume that same master was also used for the Japanese regular Blu-Ray release which is available for about ~$50, from various sites like cdjapan and amiami.

Take it with a grain of salt as at least cdjapan doesn't list subs for the Japanese version. But unless PonyCan is somehow twisting the definition of 'import', that's at least the logical conclusion...
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

This is probably true for Garakowa as well. As this release is an import it's fairly certain the Japanese edition already has the English subs(If they used different masters for overseas release, it wouldn't exactly count as 'import'...)

And we can presume that same master was also used for the Japanese regular Blu-Ray release which is available for about ~$50, from various sites like cdjapan and amiami.

Take it with a grain of salt as at least cdjapan doesn't list subs for the Japanese version. But unless PonyCan is somehow twisting the definition of 'import', that's at least the logical conclusion...

Yeah, the Collector's Edition Japanese set is the same as PonyCanUSA's release, just without the translated booklet, but as far as I've heard, no one has confirmed English Subs for the standard JP release. Sometimes they don't use the same discs for standard releases. There are a number of other cases where a LE set has subs, but the regular doesn't, so I would hold off getting the Standard set directly from Japan for now, but who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2