• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: My Hero Academia (TV)
Season 02: My Hero Academia (TV 2)
Season 03: My Hero Academia (TV 3)
Movie 01 (side story): My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (movie)
Season 04: My Hero Academia (TV 4)
Movie 02 (side story): My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising (movie)
Season 05: My Hero Academia (TV 5)
Movie 03 (side story): My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (movie)
Season 06: My Hero Academia (TV 6)
Season 07: My Hero Academia (TV 7)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 39 Volumes, by Kōhei Horikoshi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Bones

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction

Themes: coming-of-age, fan service, school, superheroes, superpowers, supervillains

Plot Summary: Mankind has developed superpowers known as "Quirks" with 80% of the population having some kind of superpower. These new abilities see the rise of both superheroes and villains. A prestigious school known as the The Hero Academy trains superpowered hopefuls into the heroes the world needs.

Middle school student Izuku Midoriya wants to be a hero more than anything, but he's part the 20% without a Quirk. Unwilling to give up his dream, he plans to take the exam and be accepted into a high school for budding heroes. Through a series of serendipitous events, he catches the eye of the greatest hero, All Might, who agrees to train him.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 3, 2016 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hulu

Season 02: March 25, 2017 (Saturday)

Season 03: April 7, 2018 (Saturday)

Movie 01: July 5, 2018 (Thursday)
Available on: Pending

Season 04: October 12, 2019 (Saturday)
Available on: FUNimation, Hulu

Movie 02: December 20, 2019 (Friday)

Season 05: March 27, 2021 (Saturday)

Movie 03: August 6, 2021 (Friday)

Season 06: October 1, 2022 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 07: May 4, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 13 episodes
Season 02: 25 episodes
Season 03: 25 episodes
Movie 01 (Two Heroes): 97 minutes
Season 04: 25 episodes
Movie 02 (Heroes Rising): 104 minutes
Season 05: 25 episodes
Movie 03 (World Heroes' Mission): 105 minutes
Season 06: 25 episodes
Season 07: Pending

Total: 138 episodes
----------------------------------

Produced by Studio Bones, this is a series that I think will be very enjoyable if done right. It's Shounen Jump's next big thing and already quite popular in the west as well. Furthermore, I think the premise is appealing and has a lot of potential with a lot of decent cast choices.

Definitely looking forward to this Very Happy

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
I look forward to it too, but there are some things I fear.

-Since the manga isn't even two years old, I worry that it's not going to be very long. If we're only going to get one season for now, ending it with the Stain Arc seems to be the most logical point.
-The possibility of it not even getting a second season. "Fruits Basket," one of the most popular Shojo manga, couldn't even get a second season/remake.
-If they actually try to drag it on, it would be subjected to a lot of filler. Now, since it's being done by Bones, it shouldn't be too bad, but their endings to "Fullmetal Alchemist" and "Soul Eater" were pretty divisive.
-They may end up altering Todoroki's backstory. In the manga, he got his burn scar from spoiler[his mother throwing boiling water at his face. His mother suffered a mental breakdown because she was forced into a loveless marriage with a man who only wanted her because he wanted to make a child who could be stronger than All-Might]. In "Bleach," Orihime's parents were abusive to her in the manga, but the anime changed it to them just abandoning her, and they didn't even show the abuse, nor was it described in detail. They just mentioned it. However, unlike Orihime, Todoroki's abusive parents are a huge part of his character. Then again, Bones was okay with showing spoiler[Fuhrer Bradley strangling his son until his neck broke] in "Fullmetal Alchemist," so that'd be a questionable change.
-Who ends up dubbing it. I'm okay with Viz and Ocean Group getting it, but I worry that Sentai Filmworks (especially if Steven Foster is the script writer) or Blue Water Studios may get it instead. If Funimation gets their *bleep* together, I can tolerate them getting it, but their dubs as of late have been pretty questionable. Thankfully, I heard good things about their "Snow White With Red Hair" dub, so maybe I shouldn't worry too much.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Preview is out, looks great so far!

https://youtu.be/AhqVltWDqFA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know if this is going to stream on Crunchyroll? I'd rather watch this show legally and I can't afford Hulu right now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Great soundtrack for this show, obviously as the same composer who worked on Haikyu.

I think the OP song is good too in terms of the choreography and way it was decorated. The character voices are okay, not too fond of it but still decent. Action is fairly well done with the whole heroes stuff, definitely reminds me of the manga style. Glad to see some of the main characters introduced in class in particular Bakugou. The guy is pretty damn awesome! Good start for the show and little main protagonist is adorable with his action figure lol. And All Might is cool as expected.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Oh, I have seen fan art before for this franchise. I don't know anything about it, but I know that it is popular.

I guess the first episode was alright. Main character.... makes me think of a certain main character from a bike anime, which I don't think of exactly flattering, but he might prove interesting still.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
I expected the pacing to be snappier so we could get to the scene in the first episode but they seem to be taking their time.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
I saw the first episode. Wait, I need to say more?

There was this series called Mx0 where there was a school where everyone had magic powers except for our main character and there was mandated fighting because manga and he had to do the "I don't have powers but I can still beat you through trickery!" plotline and it did it quite well for about 80 chapters or so... where the series was in danger of being cancelled or something... so the writer gave him super powers and the series, unique until that point, was cancelled soon after that. It was good and smart while it lasted.

Bringing that point to this series, well, Incredibles series, did our lead go "Super Saiyan" in the next episode preview? If so, that was... fast.

There were some good points here and there... I do want to see what they do with "Mt. Lady" in English... and it didn't make me angry like Super Punch Out Guy did as while the heroes were also potentially villains, they weren't randomly killing people to show they were villains. It was petty crime and acknowledged as such. So that was good. But then they steered close to Tiger and Bunny as the "heroes" became government subsidized glory hounds, fighting each other on the way to the bad guy.

Best scene in the episode for me was Mt Lady's dork face at making her superhero debut in the place of the dejected tree guy. A face so bitterly sour, I love it...and it has nothing to do with what this series wants to be.

However, there is some potential life beating behind this bitter heart, kind of. Izuku's keeping a manual of superheos quirks, a series of them I guess, it's similar to some guy who dresses like a flying mammal... Flying Squirrel Dude, sure why not... who has long documents based on enemies, potential enemies, allies and best friends, because he doesn't have powers.

This is also Nagisa from Assassination Classroom with one particular target. Our lead's a bit of an idiot fanboy though... yeah, that sounds familiar too.

So. This series has to walk a fine line between being inadvertently derivative or being a loving homage. Wait, is there a difference? Oh well. Once everyone has quirks, no one has quirks; Keeping it at 80% is just a little too knowing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Good episode, this one revealed All Might's true form. I was shocked when I saw it the first time as when seeing it from the manga awhile ago. Either way, the episode proved that Deku can become a hero. Exciting stuff. The OST still remains pretty good for the show as expected, pacing is fine too.

Proud of what Deku did. I also really liked the contrasting character voice mannerism between All Might's true form and base form.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
This show has weird pacing. Why did they save such a big plot revelation for the preview? Wouldn't it have made more sense as a cliffhanger?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
We all know that some of the heroes without any powers can be the coolest. Looks like he is going to train.

That doctor from the past keeps making me think of Eggman.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
This is more accurately a two part starting story, I wasn't completely impressed until this effective end of the beginning.

If the show can keep up, this will be more than worthwhile.

This was fun, the unique art style is working out, and certainly the characters set up are enjoyable in there own way even the antagonistic rival.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 really put me in the mood to watch the first few episodes of Yowapeda. I think I prefer All Might's Heroin Chic mode to his Johnny Bravo version.

Still not totally sucked in by this yet, but it does pluck the ol' heartstrings now and then.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The timing of the OST is so well done. I especially loved the soft nuances with the drums as the dust clears during the climax of the episode. I'm hoping the drama will keep on with the same pace that it had with this episode. It's so nice to see everything get worse so fast and so good even faster.

I am definitely getting the OST when it comes out, lol. Twisted Evil
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
This is turning out unexpectedly better than it had a right to be although I have already had more than enough of Izuku crying. He has a lot of room to grow into a multidimensional character. Also, the flawed All Might makes a second interesting character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6