• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote

(The) Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 5 Volumes, written by Piero Karasu, illustrated by Yuri Kisaragi)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Diomedéa

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: reincarnation, yuri

Plot Summary: Despite her supposed ineptitude with regular magic, Princess Annisphia defies the aristocracy's expectations by developing “magicology,” a unique magical theory based on memories from her past life.

One day, she witnesses the brilliant noblewoman Euphilia unjustly stripped of her title as the kingdom's next monarch. That's when Annisphia concocts a plan to help Euphilia regain her good name—which somehow involves them living together and researching magic. Little do these two ladies know, however, that their chance encounter will alter not only their own futures but those of the kingdom...and the entire world.

Air Date & Platform:
January 4, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was initially going to give this a pass because I'm getting a bit isekai'd out, but then the title was mentioned in ANN"s Most Anticipated Shows list so I thought I'd at least sample. Might be a keeper. Can't believe Prince Numbnuts fell for the oldest trick in the shojo book... believing the lies of a scheming commoner to break off his engagement.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The second episode already pretty much confirmed that the princess is a lesbian, apparently having told her father when she was young. Was that why she was made having given up the throne? When questioned about it she had to say that she was expressing that she did not want to get pregnant because it would impact her research, but that looks like a pretty obvious lie responding to some homophobia. Enough of her inner monologue confirmed that she finds her cute, and I saw the word pleasure being used a couple of times.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:46 pm Reply with quote
<<Might be a keeper. Can't believe Prince Numbnuts fell for the oldest trick in the shojo book... believing the lies of a scheming commoner to break off his engagement.>>

The first time I saw this trope play out was in a light novel called "Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter" which I liked a lot. Honestly, I wish someone had made that an anime instead of the five publicly-broken-engagement anime I've seen since. (though I only watched two of the shows all the way through).

I'm not so sure that Prince Numbnuts is falling for a trick, or if he's the one instigating things for his own reasons, or if he and the commoner are using each other.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:05 pm Reply with quote
<<The>>

Makes me wonder if the magic revolution in the title is really about arcane matters.

<<Was>>

Well, dad doesn't seem too open-minded on that particular subject, but I didn't get any sense that she ever wanted the throne for reals. Then or now. Too much of a free spirit with an obsession for research and no real interest in developing tact.

On the other hand, I do get a sense that the show is learning toward making the MC take the throne eventually. Her butt-head brother and a presumably growing relationship with a proper someone who was raised to be a ruler might push her in that direction. As well as nobles trying to crush her research because it makes magic less of a class divider.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Wow, so the Reincarnated part of the title actually became relevant again - amazing! Technically, this show is isekai but really I don't know why the original author bothered stipulating that. It could have just been a straight up fantasy and would have made no difference. I guess maybe it was thought that the isekai thing made it more marketable?

This show started fairly strong for me but my interest did dwindle... only to pick up near the end. I'm rating it Decent. Would watch a second season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
I like the first 9 episodes and hate most of the last 3 episodes. The last 3 episodes feel very melodramatic and characters make decisions that seem out of place/character, especially after all that happened before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:25 am Reply with quote
At the very least it dropped the do they or don't they thing, and they are indeed girlfriends, I might have thought they would just be vague. Although her father said as a sister.

I have mixed feelings, like not entirely sure what to think about the whole vampire thing, although vampires are cool. And not sympathy for the brother at all needed.

My rating will be Good (7/10).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1