• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twin Star Exorcists (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote

Twin Star Exorcists (TV)

Genres: action, supernatural
Themes:

Plot Summary: Rokuro is from a family of exorcists who remove the evil Kegare, but his real dream is to be a singer, a soccer player, or anything other than an exorcist. When another exorcist name Benio arrives, Rokura is suddenly inflamed with competitive spirit and decides to put his natural knack to good use. Their rivalry gets more complicated when they both learn they are the destined "Twin Star Exorcists," two ultimate fighters fated to marry and create the prophesied child who will eliminate all the Kegare in the world.
----------------------------------

I'm actually kinda surprised this is getting an anime adaptation as there's not many chapters out but I think it could be enjoyable if done right especially with the action and comedy. It's going to be adapted by studio Pierrot.

I am expecting a 1-cour (12-13 episodes) at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hm, I thought the first episode was alright, standard supernatural shounen with battle and main protagonists introduced. I really like what they did with the OST though in some of the latter parts of the first episode.

Benio is a cool girl imo. I hope the season explores more about her character. And while the show feels a bit generic, I think it's kind of fun to watch with the bits of comedy added in. I don't expect too much from the show but off to a decent start for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That, actually was not bad. I imagine a series like this could be done quite poorly, but it actually came across as quite competent. I personally point to something like Ushio to Tora that clearly is something of the time period its manga was made, while I have not looked at the manga for how old it might be, it feels much more organic. An interesting effect with the monsters by them laughing, it somewhat reminds me of Noragami which used other voice effects for monsters to come across as unnerving.

I would not say there is a lot to connect with the main characters yet beyond general character set up, but that seems a hurdle it might be able to clear.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Love it! If you ignore the very vanilla and completely pointless (actually, I think I would actually consider it harmful to the story) little prologue at the beginning, I really enjoyed this first episode.

The premise itself is fairly standard, but both the story and directing do a great job of not taking the series too seriously. They use solid and empty pallets when introducing characters or calling out attacks. I despised the use of plain backgrounds in Dimension W, but it actually works in Twin Star because it gives it an intentional sense of over-dramatics that fits well with the overall tone of the story. The character designs give it that old Saturday-morning-action-cartoon feel that will undoubtedly allow some very humorous and over-the-top animations later on.

Of course, my appreciation for this embrace of ridiculousness won't be enough to keep me interested if the storyline decides to remain as lackluster as it is this first episode. So, I'm hoping its able to improve in that regard before it wears out its perks.

Aside from that, I have high hopes for Twin Star! I just pray no one in this series pulls that lame thing where they pass out after using their "ultimate attack" or whatever. That absolutely grinds my gears. So dang cheesy! One of my pet-peeves.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'm in.

We haven't had a Benio since Benio Yonomori of Engaged to the Unidentified and she was a winner so its time for another. Hows that for logic. [/url]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

It was an alright episode imo. Decent OP song and comedy.
Benio and Rokuro's relationship is really off to a rough start so far. Arima makes this show rather amusing to watch despite his status.

Benio and Rokuro are apparently chosen as potentials to become the strongest exorcists. It's like fate or something. Action still remains good though imo with their fight. I'm not really surprised by the revelation of that ending at all though.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I, on the other hand, was pleasantly surprised by the end. I thought for sure this was gonna be another typical, MC is the long prophesied, ultimate OP, rage-makes-him-god, chosen one. And, while he is still somewhat that, I'm sooo glad he also isn't. Wonder how Benio will deal with this next episode lol
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
episodes one and two

Really enjoying the soundtrack and monster designs. I just hope that, with the setup, the show doesn't wind up being too much about the Exorcists Group trying to get the kids to breed.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Best line of the episode: "We're still in middle school!"

I do have a little problem with Rokuro's character development. He seems to conflate "I don't want to be an exorcist!" with "I hate exorcists!" Not that his mindset has to be completely logical but I have to wonder just how supportable his position actually is.

If you get past that it does provide the fuel for the relationship between him and Benio. She hasn't done a lot to make herself very likable (to him) and neither has he (to her). So at the end they learn they have to be together and I guess the story is going to be all about how they get over their dislike for each other. Having seen this setup so many times before I hope they come up with something new or interesting out of it. That's what I will be watching for.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Not bad for the episode I guess although I wasn't really impressed by the action this week. Rokuro is becoming a more likeable character imo now.

The dream part was so priceless. Glad to see Mayura show up as well in this series as she is a kind girl and someone that Benio can trust.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Rokuro is becoming a more likeable character imo now.

On one hand his personality is formed by some trauma that converted him from wanting to be the greatest exorcist to someone who "hates exorcists." Because someone(s) he loved died. On the other hand he is perfectly willing to let all the guys (friends?) in the dojo do the fighting and die as long as he isn't involved when he is (and knows he is) perfectly capable of protecting them or at least doing his part.

We know what they are trying to set up but this just seems a bit clumsy to me. In all other aspects his character is reasonably likable.

I do wish they had found a better way through the story than the tired old trope "we don't like each other so no way I am marrying him/her."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Poor Mayura. Friendzoned so hard she never stood a chance. Guess she didn't inherit her predecessor's insane luck along with her character design.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I think the episode was alright, first half felt a bit boring with Rokuro but I liked how he is able to come in time to save his friend. Gotta give him some credit for having guts to jump right into that fight with his life on the line.

I think there's still a lot he has to prove to others but Rokuro definitely earned my respect this episode. The fight was nice, well coordinated with a fitting OST. Benio and Rokuro's relationship is still a bit strange but I think on the right track. His gratitude establishes more of a growing friendship between the two.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Shimon may have an arrogant attitude but he's a pretty skilled exorcist:

Also, I feel like Benio and Rokuro are acting like an arguing couple.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Shimon may have an arrogant attitude but he's a pretty skilled exorcist:

His more important role is to be a wakeup call for Rokuro, who has obviously been wasting his potential up until now. And he was right about Rokuro's manners.

I sort of liked the immediate rapport he had with Benio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5