• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Perhaps it's the fear but some of the people's rationales are quite baffling. A Kabane clearing walking in of you is slained and then you get pissy at the girl who slayed it. They're more trusting towards the obvious pregnant Kabane than the Kabaneri who has helped them. But at least the show sort of gets over that at the end.

Cool things this episode, though. Steampunk bow is nice and all but I question its effectiveness (doesn't seem like a quick reload and arrow strength is questionable). The samurai-Kabane is cool as well so I wonder what other kinds of Kabane are out there, if any -- so far three types: conscious (Kabaneri), combat experience (Waka something), and the regular mass zombie-vampire (zampire) esque ones. And with Mr. Samurai's katana breaking, if the opening hints at anything, it looks like he might get a new one -- and that looks special so I'll guess Kabana ribcage folded over 1000 times.
mahoro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a strong blend of Mononoke Hime and the Walking Dead. Curious to watch more especially since Mikimoto is doing the character designs. Just wish he'd finish Macross the First manga.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I am going to take a gamble and bet that by the end of this run it is effectively a Muv Luv narrative and the "real enemy" is just rival human faction not-so-nice-people and yet it still doesn't remove the threat of zombie goliaths.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well that was kinda intense. First time I've seen Mumei being almost killed in this series as she seems to had serious problems fighting this episode. If it wasn't for Ikoma, who knows what would of happened to her..

I'm also kinda curious about Mumei's past now especially that conversation about the 'young master'. It's obviously not pleasant by the glimpses of flashbacks shown.

The ending is weird. What kind of monster is that??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

If we were to look for parallels of Attack on Titan, Mumei would likely be Mikasa. So I found it interesting here that we broke away from her being perfect and also made her more flawed, that although strong, she was somewhat reckless in the episode. But it was not quite recklessness because she is stupid or something, instead she is afraid of being abandoned by her master/brother, and so thinks a more direct route is the right one for her to move forward.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

If we were to look for parallels of Attack on Titan, Mumei would likely be Mikasa.

Mumei would clearly be an Eren Jaeger parallel, she is reckless to a fault and always more than eager to take on Kabane.

Ikoma himself, if we are still playing with AoT parallels, plays his part more like a bad ass version of Armin, he clearly likes to think things through during the down time but is clearly inexperienced and less bloodthirsty when it comes to actual combat.

Right now there is no clear Mikasa parallel, but if the stars align the show might push Kurusu as a Levi analogue as certainly he is in a position to be "the other bad ass guy".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Mumei would clearly be an Eren Jaeger parallel, she is reckless to a fault and always more than eager to take on Kabane.

Mumei is the super skilled fighter that everyone looks up to, that makes the team say they can win if they have her on their side. She also seems deathly loyal to a person, not just a cause. Although appears level headed and cold, she may recklessly throw herself into the way of death for what she stands for if she felt things were hopeless.

Ikoma is Eren not because of any connected recklessness, but because he is sick of the position that humanity is in and wants it to fight back, the monsters not only a real threat but representative of the oppression facing them and thus wants to destroy it. Only to him the avenue of developing new tool, science, is his weapon of fighting. His fighting power overall is about medium compared to what might be possible.

Not really getting all the names, his other mechanic friend would be Armin, he is terrified and no good in a fight, but when it counts he will step up and act. He acts as a bridge between the hero and the rest of humanity. The Samurai guy would probably be Jean, quick to judge and proud in his strength and position, including one he feels he will deserve, although butting heads with the hero at first, he will likely be the one that will support the others because they can trust in him.

I could be wrong, but it is the view I have been getting so far.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not really getting all the names, his other mechanic friend would be Armin, he is terrified and no good in a fight,

Armin's character was that he was "the brain", Ikoma resonates MUCH more with Armin than he does with Eren, we can ping pong on Mumei until the story reveals more information but there is little doubt Ikoma is certainly not Eren at this point spoiler[unless the story reveals that Ikoma some how has "magic plot McGuffin" but at that point then I would call this show a shameless AoT ripoff]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

If we were to look for parallels of Attack on Titan, Mumei would likely be Mikasa. So I found it interesting here that we broke away from her being perfect and also made her more flawed, that although strong, she was somewhat reckless in the episode. But it was not quite recklessness because she is stupid or something, instead she is afraid of being abandoned by her master/brother, and so thinks a more direct route is the right one for her to move forward.

That isn't much different from Mikasa if that's what you are getting at. Like Mumei she has an emotional moment during the fight against the Titans when due to her grief of spoiler[losing Eren completely forgets about her dwindling supply of gas and it almost causes her to get killed.] She even later regrets this choice because she foolishly lead her comrades into battle without a bit of planning and almost gave up on her own life forgetting her responsibility as a leader.

Much like Mumei she believed that she could take them all on herself. spoiler[ Ikouma the main character saved Mumei during this moment. Who saved Mika during her moment? Eren.] So the parallels are still extremely strong here and I'm still kind of writing this series off as a reworking of the Attack on Titan script but with zombies lol.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
spoiler[unless the story reveals that Ikoma some how has "magic plot McGuffin"]

(I don't know why you put that in spoilers) I think he does. He's got the stone in his palm, which is probably the actual thing that protects people from Kabanifying. Sure, he says it's just a river rock you can find anywhere, but it glows, and glowing stuff is always important!
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
spoiler[unless the story reveals that Ikoma some how has "magic plot McGuffin"]

(I don't know why you put that in spoilers) I think he does. He's got the stone in his palm, which is probably the actual thing that protects people from Kabanifying. Sure, he says it's just a river rock you can find anywhere, but it glows, and glowing stuff is always important!

As the post compares AoT to Kabaneri, any detail about Kabaneri discussed in relation to AoT would permit a reader to infer what happens in AoT. This is not the AoT thread. It is perfectly appropriate to spoiler tag information that would spoiler AoT.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Wait so the Kabane corpses can actually become a single entity? That's just creepy.
Good action this episode as expected. Glad to see everyone on board as a team to fight for survival. Mumei struggled a bit this episode until Ikoma helped her out. I'm glad to see that their relationship has been become stronger each episode.

I expect more background story about her soon even after short glimpses this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6
Ok, this one reminded me more of the Gauna in Sidonia than any Titan based destruction moment, the on screen corpse explosion was an amusing piece of CG animation.
This episode had minimal character moments and mainly focused on getting the train out of peril once again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Ep 6
Ok, this one reminded me more of the Gauna in Sidonia than any Titan based destruction moment, the on screen corpse explosion was an amusing piece of CG animation.
This episode had minimal character moments and mainly focused on getting the train out of peril once again.

After thinking about it I might agree with you. One thing I think Sidonia did well was selling a group effort, not one of just fighters but everyone even watching on as you approach the moment of truth in fighting the monstrosity. I actually found myself liking the CG.

Logically I think that the extra speed may not have been needed, but it added in a feeling of switching between different parties doing their bit and the moment of tension where everyone ran to one end.

Also what came to mind because of something I have been playing recently was Dark Souls, seeing the big guy I joked that I am pretty sure I have fought something like that. Or maybe Resident Evil.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Why were they trying to speed up? I thought the idea was to let it get closer so they could shoot its heart?

I hope we weren't supposed to recognize the heart, because I didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5