• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

I'm not sure how to feel about this episode, hopefully Mumei snaps out of it. Somehow, I'm not entirely surprised by what Biba did as he is capable of doing anything by this point so even using her as a spawn to attack others like Ikoma was a good possibility.

Also poor Takumi...there was a bit of a death flag on him this episode already in the beginning, didn't think they actually pull the trigger. Two more episodes left, I hope we get more insight on Biba's background story.

I also wonder if Kurusu will be able to get the crew back on track..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Only one word to describe this episode.

"Groovy."
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So now that technically the villain has completely won, we now will follow up with the expected pyrrhic hero victory.
spoiler[Prediction, Mumei is saved with the mad doctors vial, however Ikoma will most likely have to be put down less the show pulls off a significant level of McGuffin from out of left field.]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
"The power will be like the last flicker of light before the candle goes out...".

So let's activate it on a beach in the middle of nowhere, miles from the Shogun capital... and that was just one of the numerous terrible decisions made this episode.

Honestly, this show is getting worse week by week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
So let's activate it on a beach in the middle of nowhere, miles from the Shogun capital... and that was just one of the numerous terrible decisions made this episode.

I know! I was like, "Wait, what are you doing? At least wait until you're within sight of the city before going all Glowy Titan on us.

I get that Ikoma's bent over Biscuit's death and his own helplessness, but that level of being terrified of his own shadow and giving up entirely seemed very out of character even with what he'd been through. Clearly the only way to snap him out of it and regain his self-confidence was to shed those Clark Kent specs and get a stylin' new haircut! The old Reverse Samson move - never fails.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
I feel confident to say that I don't think this series ever managed to hit a strike like what was done with Attack on Titan despite what it has done.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

That was so predictable at the end lol

Mumei returns to normal while Biba finally gets killed...
Eh yeah, the second half of this series really made me roll my eyes a bit. It definitely felt cheesy writing in a lot of ways with the stereotypical antagonist, mind control gimmick, rebellion, and revenge themes. Production quality still remains pretty good at least with an appealing soundtrack...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
ep 12
I am disappoint, it had the expected ending.

The action was on par for the series, but I was expecting just a bit more narrative wise, then again shark jumping Biba derailed the show a LONG time ago.

... And then there is Biba's men spoiler[They are ALL complicit with blatant crimes against humanity, even if you don't want to kill them they still require some level of punishment.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah, aside from them being mass murderers, there wasn't exactly a lot of evidence that they no longer subscribed to their ex-leader's vision, so how do they know this escape route doesn't lead to another betrayal and another trap?

It's one thing to offer reconciliation when your enemy can no longer do any real harm to you, quite another when they can still stab you the moment your back is turned.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Yeah, this was a bit of a disappointing end. It really did not feel deserved, we had this big return of our hero and stuff, but it had me thinking that it just did not feel right. I think it might have benefited if this was a 2 cour show, because it felt like it had the pacing in line with what Attack on Titan had, but only half that length to do a compelling season. Maybe some of the real fear removed, but that is what makes the highs in AoT so big, so instead it felt like it was cool things just to look cool. That and evil villain to be evil, where apparently he gave the white blood to Ikoma? In the end it just felt kind of pointless where there was not space to really feel like characters got proper arcs, all except for Mumei, but she also got the character assignation like mind control bit. There was not even time to feel anything other than the bad guys should just get killed, because apparently their plan was to destroy things, and that does not make a lot of sense with what we largely saw with the zombies.

In my opinion this show had all the parts to be something really cool, but it was just not mixed together well enough. Some good ideas off of a formulae, but not all that well paced. I might give it a rating of Good (7/10), I wanted to like it more, but it mostly came out just okay.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was not even time to feel anything other than the bad guys should just get killed, because apparently their plan was to destroy things, and that does not make a lot of sense with what we largely saw with the zombies.

The show ineffectively established why Biba and his men are committing mass genocide, there is an excuse back plot for Biba yet at the same time it feels relatively hollow as "Biba being a nice guy" always came from the naïve exposing's of Mumei.

Biba either needed to be a bit more of a morally grey side OR play up that he has become a complete black hearted being (no pun intended), the character arc of Biba that we do receive is mediocre at best.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I kinda got why Biba was on a rampage to destroy the world, but I never had the slightest understanding of why anyone would follow him down his path of destruction, especially the guy Ikoma esploded. What exactly in his "plan" did they think was right or beneficial to them?

Since this was such a mystery, accepting their remnants as comrades on the Kotetsujyo was positively insane.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Since this was such a mystery, accepting their remnants as comrades on the Kotetsujyo was positively insane.

It only made sense that in the moment, EVERYONE wanted to get out of scorching remnants of the capital, Biba's men have proven time and again that they are martially not to be underestimated regardless of there moral standing.

The point of "bringing them in" wasn't about forgiveness as it was about being pragmatic, this would effectively be Ayame's last character defining act as it shows that she is no longer a simple princess that looks cute but a responsible leader that must make decisions that sometimes go against her grain of ideology yet she can see the circumstantial greater good.

If there is ever a sequel work, the narrative is definitely going to have to answer up to creating a temporary truce with men that willingly committed mass genocide.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The point of "bringing them in" wasn't about forgiveness as it was about being pragmatic, this would effectively be Ayame's last character defining act as it shows that she is no longer a simple princess that looks cute but a responsible leader that must make decisions that sometimes go against her grain of ideology yet she can see the circumstantial greater good.

Ok, but it's a stupid decision. The fact that they were asking to come along suggests they weren't in a position to demand it or fight their way on board. If they wanted to prove they could be trusted, they could offer the info without using it as a bargaining chip, and go peacefully into lockup (whatever that is on this train - too bad they trashed the other train and its Kabane cage). That benefits them in two ways - they get out, and they've racked up some brownie points for later when they need to plead their "but we wuz duped!" case.

Negotiating with them for information that would save all parties proves them untrustworthy, so she should've just had them thrown off the train and taken their chances with the Kabane. At least they're outside and not standing next to them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
To me it just felt kind of weird that those guys would confidently come into the situation to cause destruction, but in the end they have their tail between their legs and asking if they can be taken away. It seemed like the goal there was just to watch it all burn, and it really was not just nobles. Sure Biba wanted to see everything his father had be destroyed, but apparently everyone else so much saw the kabane as not threat as using them was worth it, apart from the girl they sacrificed earlier, Mumei and apparently Biba, we did not see any more Kabane that particularly grounded the confidence and power over them.

Did Ikoma ruin all of their plans? How was trying to run him over with a train a particularly good idea? Even without sudden psychic super powers, a train is not necessarily hard to dodge, especially considering Ikoma had the agility to get there and kill a bunch of men on the way. It just feels weird that it was like they knew what they were doing, and continued to do so until they are all beat up and asking to get out. All the Kabane also slaughtered everywhere else except for the train yard with the good guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5