• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mobile Suit Gundam Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
@Fronzel, Origin is excellent and I'm prepared for the shorter character development in the orignal show, but I'll watch the original series as well just for the complete picture. Plus, I'm sure Gundam purists only consider the original show as canon so it's probably required viewing anyway.

@GVman, cool, so Right Stuf does have it. I might wait for the BDs though, if they're doing one, that is.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
The first three Pokemon movies are absolute classics! Must-watch films for fans of Pokemon and anime in general. I'm glad they re-released the first film because we have it on video... And no longer own a VCR. :/
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I'm curious, what was the message they mangled? I thought Meowth summed up the movie pretty well at the end.

"We do have a lot in common. The same air, the same Earth, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different...well, who knows?"

EDIT: Re-reading my post it sounded kinda sarcastic, but I'm genuinely curious as I haven't seen the subbed version

I suggest reading this review at Dogasu's Backpack. It's an entertaining, insightful overview of everything wrong with the first movie's English dub. Dogasu doesn't holds back with his criticism, but his analysis is fair and not simply based on blind hatred for the English version.

Dogasu wrote:
So here's how work on this comparison went:

1) Listen to maybe five minutes of the Japanese version.
2) Switch over to the dub track.
3) "Oh, that's not right." Pause, rewind, transcribe what was said, write up a little blurb about it.
4) Unpause, and then be forced to press pause again because the very next line is a complete rewrite as well.
5) Rewind, transcribe what was said, write up a little blurb about it.
6) Repeat steps 3 - 5 over and over.
7) Look at the clock and realize that it's taken me half an hour to get through the first five minutes of the movie.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Shirobako is out?

I only rewatched it again a month ago. Well. time to rewatch it when I buy it. Again.

There are no regrets.

(Also I should send my shelves in sometime...if they're all out.)

well this wasn't surprising. since its no K-ON! ,of course its gonna get the sub only treatment.

also I would recommend skipping on getting the pokemon movies. at least until an official sub version gets released. or if you have the money and have a DVD player that isn't region locked , you can import the japaneese DVDs that have been English subbed by animax asia for the English speaking audiences for that region.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LokiReed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Another release for the Pokémon movies and we STILL don't have dual audio or the scenes that were cut from mewtwo's origin (even though it was dubbed in English)....... This kind of sucks. Maybe one day we'll get a collector's box set or something with everything in it. I know it's a little unlikely, but let me dream! :/
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Origin is excellent and I'm prepared for the shorter character development in the orignal show, but I'll watch the original series as well just for the complete picture. Plus, I'm sure Gundam purists only consider the original show as canon so it's probably required viewing anyway.

Mm, I wouldn't worry. "Canon" is a very recent concept vis-a-vis media, and a very Western one at that, and none of the Gundam works are created with it in mind.

Banrise's position on Gundam is that anything animated is "official" - that is, derivative works such as manga and photo-novels and the like should draw on them, or at the very least shouldn't contradict them. But various animated productions contradict each other, so what's canon becomes very murky very fast. GENERALLY it's actually the MSG movies that are drawn on for subsequent works, but by Banrise's own rules, both them and the show are "canon". And if the One-Year-War portions of THE ORIGIN ever get animated, it would be too!

Not that it actually matters, mind. In both cases, there are differences from the original show, but astonishingly, nothing is of any consequence to the franchise at large. All of the changes that the movies make, and all of the myriad changes that THE ORIGIN makes, only really impact the immediate story being told (streamlining/grounding the narrative in both cases, compressing it in the movies, expanding it in THE ORIGIN), and you could use THE ORIGIN or the TV show or the movies or a mix of all and lead into Zeta Gundam just fine. The only thing THE ORIGIN's changes really impact is the ever-shifting sea of supplementary materials, which were never official to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2