• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do So Many Anime Take Place in High School?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I can understand in general why so much of the Japanese media we get focuses on an idealized portrayal of high school: if nothing else, most popular anime and manga falls into the shounen or younger seinen demographics, so it's explicitly targeted at people in those age groups in the first place.

That's a bit like saying "Why did so many 80's teen comedies take place in high schools and shopping malls, and not corporate offices?"
Gee, I don't know, let me work on that one for a while... Razz

Although the "idealization" of high school tends to be more for those just starting it, or those in junior high not in it yet, who are allowed a few last years to dream that they'll be successes on the sports teams, be able to hang out with their friends, sneak their lunch box behind their book at 10 am, put a love letter into Senpai's shoe-locker, and finally find their true date in time for the festival bonfire.
We had the same idealization of high school in the US too, for those old enough to remember when they found out that real high school wasn't like they showed it in High School Musical. (C'mon, did anyone IN high school watch that one?)

Quote:
Honestly I think Justin got it most right when he touched on the issue of cultural norms. In Japan, once you hit adulthood, you're generally expected to either take a soul-crushing salaryman position, or else stay at home and raise a family, depending on your gender: you're meant to become a cog in the overall social machine.

That's overanalyzing it a BIT too much:
We--and especially the UK--can make snarky sitcoms about how much we hate our jobs (and whatever happened to the old Mary Tyler Moore/Cheers days when all of the characters' friends were at work?) but there's not as much humor for the salaryman, for whom speaking up against his job would be a little riskier, you're expected to take the grind, and complaining about it makes you a weak link who can't be considered a team member.

We've had salaryman comedies, just not as many of them in anime--Those anime we've gotten (eg. Shinesman) tend to all be from the 90's, back when the Boom economy made the corporate world the center of all Japanese existence, and those over the age of 20 could freely admit to watching anime without fear of social ostracization or resentfully-misplaced judgment about one's work habits, outdoor habits, Internet use or healthy sexuality.
Nowadays, it's teens who watch anime, and even then keep it as underground as possible.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
What's up with this answer man discrimination? I sent a very similar question a few months ago and it was ignored. This is not the first time that this has happened. Here is what I wrote:

"I have seen about a thousand anime in my lifetime, and in just about every single one of them, the main character is a middle school or high school student, or at the very least are people within the age range of middle/high school students. What I want to know is why we don't often see college students in anime. College freshmen in Japan can be as young as 17 years old, so characters in this age range can still attract a strong audience of teenage otaku and the like. Also, according to a recent article on Rocketnews24 called "Five Ways College Life is Different in Japan and the United States", it is said that college life in Japan isn't even stressful. In fact, many Japanese students have found 12th Grade to be harder than anything they've ever done in college. In anime where school is only a minor part of the plot, wouldn't college students be the perfect people to use for the story? This is especially true for late-night anime, which is typically intended for an adult audience. Japanese students under the age of 18 also have a late-night curfew, so featuring an older audience allows for more opportunities to utilize a late-night setting. If anime like Death Note and Tokyo Ghoul can feature college students in lead roles and still become major successes, what is to say that other anime can't do the same?"

I have also asked about the origins of Halloween in Japan, yet that question gets skipped. Meanwhile, a question about the origins of Christmas was used. WHAT THE HELL? I have even sent questions using multiple email accounts just in case my mail was being sent to spam/junk but I still haven't seen a response. A LONG time ago, I had 2 questions of mine answered, but I know people that have their questions answered as much as once a month. What's up with that?

P.S. Before you say my question is different from this one, the basis surrounding the question is very much the same. He could've used this answer to respond to my question but he didn't because of discrimination.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
What's up with this answer man discrimination?
. . . He could've used this answer to respond to my question but he didn't because of discrimination.

What is he discriminating against?
That is a serious question.

I do not see anything in your profile that makes you any different from the rest of us here. So why would anybody discriminate against you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's a pretty obvious question. Kids are the ones watching anime in Japan, for the most part. Why do the characters tend to be in high school? Because the kids watching are approaching that age. You can argue the kids watching are probably younger than high school age, but that just means they're looking forward to those years because it makes them feel adult without the pressures of actually being one/dealing with jobs. Anime creators make the shows with young characters so the viewers can better identify with them.

But that doesn't explain why the bulk of late night otaku aimed fanservicy shows primarily feature high school aged kids. While it's often the case that the age of the target audience will match the age of the characters it's not an iron clad law. Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, for example, always have the leads be 20 somethings even though the show is aimed at pre-teens.

Anyways, there are multiple reasons why the high school setting is the default. From an author's standpoint, it's simply more interesting. Teenage years is a time for sudden development and growth and high school social structures can be pretty complicated. Having characters deal with that on top of having to save the world opens up more opportunities for conflict and drama.

By comparison the salaryman life is more drab and even though there's no shortage of workplace drama the common worker is expected to suck it up and not rock the boat. You're less likely to get emotional outbursts or confrontations.

In general people don't want to relive their high school lives, sure, but these anime let them relive better high school lives. It lets them fantasize about being that loser they were but surrounded by girls who love them. They might have been that bullied kid at school but now they can pretend they had superpowers to fight back with.

Finally high school girls are more appealing to men since on an evolutionary level men prefer younger girls that will yield more offspring. Japan also has a fixation on purity and high school aged girls or younger are more likely to not be sexually active (and if they are it's usually super obvious).
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Want to buy:

More college-based anime. I mean...the chance of harem shenanigans or any other sort of social shenanigans are even greater when students are all housed together without supervision...and yet....I can only think of one anime I've seen that has a college setting. (Love Stage!! lol)

Plus, the there's added benefit of leering at characters that are older than 18....

And unlike high school....I actually remember college being fun.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, so the answer to this isn't that clear-cut and it eludes even people in Japan. Somehow, I thought the answer to this would've been obvious to someone surrounded by high school fiction, but I guess it's done somewhat unintentionally and maybe accidentally after finding out that fiction set in high schools tend to do well.

High school life in Japan must be very different from high school life in the United States. Our high schools were hellholes of bullies, gangstas, queen bees and wannabes, holier-than-thou smart kids, and brutal castes.

penguintruth wrote:
It's a pretty obvious question. Kids are the ones watching anime in Japan, for the most part. Why do the characters tend to be in high school? Because the kids watching are approaching that age. You can argue the kids watching are probably younger than high school age, but that just means they're looking forward to those years because it makes them feel adult without the pressures of actually being one/dealing with jobs. Anime creators make the shows with young characters so the viewers can better identify with them.

A pattern I've noticed with western entertainment is that kids prefer watching stories about people older than they are. Kids in Japan seem to be like that too. I think, however, it's because kids look for role models, and to them, cool kids are in high school. It's easy to see Spider-Man as a role model for instance. He's a hero, well-respected by everyone around him, and beats up bad guys while poking fun at them.

Even if they're not significantly older though, kids love larger-than-life figures. Dragon Ball started with Goku as a kid, for instance (well, 12 years old, but he still looked like akid), but he was undoubtedly already larger than life.

mgosdin wrote:
There are parts of High School & Middle School that I would love to excise out of my memory and some that I wouldn't mind visiting again. College, overall, was much better.

Mark Gosdin

Agreed. College was when people stopped being psychopaths.

D00dleB0Y wrote:
What's up with this answer man discrimination? I sent a very similar question a few months ago and it was ignored. This is not the first time that this has happened. Here is what I wrote:

"I have seen about a thousand anime in my lifetime, and in just about every single one of them, the main character is a middle school or high school student, or at the very least are people within the age range of middle/high school students. What I want to know is why we don't often see college students in anime. College freshmen in Japan can be as young as 17 years old, so characters in this age range can still attract a strong audience of teenage otaku and the like. Also, according to a recent article on Rocketnews24 called "Five Ways College Life is Different in Japan and the United States", it is said that college life in Japan isn't even stressful. In fact, many Japanese students have found 12th Grade to be harder than anything they've ever done in college. In anime where school is only a minor part of the plot, wouldn't college students be the perfect people to use for the story? This is especially true for late-night anime, which is typically intended for an adult audience. Japanese students under the age of 18 also have a late-night curfew, so featuring an older audience allows for more opportunities to utilize a late-night setting. If anime like Death Note and Tokyo Ghoul can feature college students in lead roles and still become major successes, what is to say that other anime can't do the same?"

I'm not Answerman, but I can give you a logical answer: College is seen largely as stress-free, or at least not very stressful, which you have pointed out. That makes for boring narratives.

College fiction in the west, however, is predominantly about what can go wrong in college: Threats of expulsion, fallings out with faculty, not getting along with classmates or roommates, dangers of failing, family commitment or lack thereof, cheating and plagiarism, anxiety over finding work after graduation.

If there's not much that can go wrong in college in Japan, then there wouldn't be much interesting fiction about college life.

Protagonists of college age, however, are a different matter.
MacrossJunkie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, a lot of people my age that are Otaku or Nerds hatted high school, but me and my friends loved it. 92' to 95' just a few years before everything blew-up, we had a large group of Punks and Skaters and Indie Kids (all before any of this hit the mainstream, and dare I say at the dawn of the Internet), and when I say large, I mean LARGE. We all got along, and our group was so big that the Preps, Jocks, Jesus Freaks and Rednecks didn't mess with us. We kinda ruled the roost the years we were there.

Plus several of us were already into Anime (myself being into Anime since 1985), and we would bring Anime in from the local hobby shop "The Hobbit" or from the local Anime / Comic Shop that sold and rented Anime "Phantasy Central", and watch it at school. I watched more Anime in my German class over the three years I took it, than actually learning German (our teacher was WAY lazy). Plus we established an Anime Club that met at the local teen center, and invited students from all the surrounding High Schools (it was call The East Coast Anime Society or E.C.A.S. for short). We also traded #%€¥+=? On VHS with college groups. Some of the local Punk and Indie bands would even play Anime on screens behind them at shows...

Why was all this happening here before it blew up nationwide? The only reason I can fathom is because of the Army and Air Force bases located here. Lots of culture from all over the country, and the world...

So I can understand why the Japanese may idolize high school in Anime. My years as a teen were pretty frakkin' amazing. Don't get me wrong, college was just as fun as well, but that's when the weight of responsibility started bearing down on me...
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
As Justin said, it's a combination of escapism from the adult working world and a fixation on youth and cuteness. The target demographic plays a role too but not too much. Plenty of adults watch and read shonen shows and many late night otaku shows, (assuming otaku are generally older) feature middle to high school settings and characters, so the audience age may not play a huge role anyway. Personally, I'd love to see more shows with a college setting or college students just for variety's sake since we already have hundreds of shows set in high school or about teenagers.

Vaisaga wrote:
Anyways, there are multiple reasons why the high school setting is the default. From an author's standpoint, it's simply more interesting. Teenage years is a time for sudden development and growth and high school social structures can be pretty complicated. Having characters deal with that on top of having to save the world opens up more opportunities for conflict and drama.

I have to disagree here. I think there's plenty of potential in exploring development, growth, social structures, etc. in a college setting or with college age characters. Genshiken, Welcome to the NHK, Moyashimon, and Tatami Galaxy are all good examples. While I can't think of any show that combines a college setting or college-age charcters with fantasy elements, I see no reason why a show like that wouldn't be just as interesting as one with a high school setting.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
A pattern I've noticed with western entertainment is that kids prefer watching stories about people older than they are. Kids in Japan seem to be like that too. I think, however, it's because kids look for role models, and to them, cool kids are in high school. It's easy to see Spider-Man as a role model for instance. He's a hero, well-respected by everyone around him, and beats up bad guys while poking fun at them.

I wouldn't exactly say that. After all, the majority of shows on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network star middle/high school aged characters.

In fact, even from your own example, Spider-Man has spent most of his existence in fiction as a High Schooler.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I wouldn't exactly say that. After all, the majority of shows on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network star middle/high school aged characters.

In fact, even from your own example, Spider-Man has spent most of his existence in fiction as a High Schooler.

Exactly--those stories are predominantly aimed at elementary school and middle school kids. Those kids want to see stories of extraordinary people a few years older than they are.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
While I can't think of any show that combines a college setting or college-age charcters with fantasy elements, I see no reason why a show like that wouldn't be just as interesting as one with a high school setting.

Death Note aside, the closest I can think of to a show mixing college-age characters with fantasy-type elements was C: The Money of Soul, but I didn't think that was a very good series (neither did the person who reviewed it for ANN a few years ago). But a lot of the best-known shows with college settings tend to be josei and/or romance shows like Nodame Cantabile, Golden Time, and Honey & Clover. And maybe there's something cultural in that, too - like if high school is the time for having fun and goofing around with your friends and living out your fantasies, then college is the time for growing up and preparing for the inevitable onslaught of the adult world with all that entails (settling down, becoming a Responsible Person, preparing for your career, and maybe if you're lucky finding your life partner). Even C's premise, for what fantasy elements it has, is still grounded in the very practical (and adult) concern of "I need to earn money and protect my assets."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
I have to disagree here. I think there's plenty of potential in exploring development, growth, social structures, etc. in a college setting or with college age characters. Genshiken, Welcome to the NHK, Moyashimon, and Tatami Galaxy are all good examples. While I can't think of any show that combines a college setting or college-age charcters with fantasy elements, I see no reason why a show like that wouldn't be just as interesting as one with a high school setting.

I don't disagree, but that's just not how a lot of writers see it. Or at the very least high school is easier to think things up for. With a college setting you miss out on challenges of puberty, struggling under the control of parents, first loves, etc. College age students are (presumably) more capable of handling life's problems than a high schooler is so it's seen as not as interesting.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I work in children's stories, and I can guarantee you, it's not a "pattern", it's a LAW. Punishable by death.
Sixth-grade or junior high kids want to read or see stories about independent, empowered kids, but they don't want stories about their annoying little brother in fourth grade...Who does? They want to read about their own age, or about the fantasy of "independence" that's just a few tantalizing years down the road.
If you have ten-yo. audiences, your hero's eleven, if you have twelve-yo. audiences, your hero's fourteen, and if you have fourteen-yo. audiences, your hero's seventeen.

Of course, we all know that high school isn't as "independent" as college--what with your parents still wanting you home before ten on a school night, and insisting on dropping you off in the car where your friends can see you Embarassed --but the fantasy desire is so strong, we get anime series where the hero is either:
A) Living on his own with non-parent relatives, or in a paid-for solo apartment with money from home, to avoid travel/relocation problems,
B) Living in a single-parent household where the parent is away/working most of the day, and the hero pretty much has the run of the house and full refrigerator, or
C) Going to full-time Hogwarts-style boarding school in a future/fantasy environment where the school is an entire city, not unlike living solo on campus in a real big-city college.

You can look down the generations and see how many grew up thinking high school was going to be like the Disney Channel, how many thought it was going to be like 90210, how many thought it was going to be like Saved By the Bell, how many thought it was going to be like Grease, and how many thought it was going to be like the Archies. Smile
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Man, I must've had it backwards. High school was a highlight for me, with the struggles of college making it a mostly dark time, with a few very bright spots peppered throughout. Oh well!

I'll agree that the setting of high school just seems to thematically lend itself to exploring a roller coaster of change, what with puberty, independence, and looming career choices. Not to say that you can't do this, in say, college, where the first year is a whole sink or swim routine, but just that high school seems to be the de facto choice for it.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh My Goddess was set in an engineering college, although eventually Keiichi graduated. That definitely had fantasy elements. The on-campus focus was mostly the Motor Club, but occasionally things would take place in class.

Moyashimon was set at an agricultural college. There was just one tiny fantasy element -- Tadayasu Sawaki's ability to see microorganisms. Otherwise things were weird, but not fantastic. But I'm going by the manga and the live-action show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6