• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High School Fleet (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain what was so funny about euros?

It seems the "rats" spread a berserker-virus. Good thing the girls have a cat on-board!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
This week's episode felt a bit strange to me. I mean, hamster possession? Yeah, a bit out of character unless they can really expand on more of the fleet battles and their reasons. Up to this point, I feel like the story is a bit loose although I still find it pretty entertaining to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:

Nothing, she had used a form of "I" that usually only an old man would say. I have no idea why they didn't just throw "mineself" or anything along those lines in there, when doing so would have made the teasing make sense. It doesn't have to be perfect, and pretty much anything would have been an improvement over how they chose to handle it.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:

Nothing, she had used a form of "I" that usually only an old man would say. I have no idea why they didn't just throw "mineself" or anything along those lines in there, when doing so would have made the teasing make sense. It doesn't have to be perfect, and pretty much anything would have been an improvement over how they chose to handle it.

Thank you very much! "Mineself" would have worked better, I agree. Now it was just weird.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, I think there was a translation error, since 12.5 cm per day is slightly more than one sheet. Laughing
Yeah, she said "12.5 m", not cm. I can sort of understand the "euros" thing since there is no perfect way of handling Japanese pronoun jokes, but this is just sloppy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
^I thought it might be, but that still seems like an awful lot. They must have really tiny bladders or clog up their toilets a lot. Smile

Yeah, the Euros thing made no sense at all since one girl had Zimbabwe currency and no one so much as blinked at that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
We finally get more of a look of what is particularly causing the problem. Looks like some sort of infected rodents are making people go berserk and aggressive, although it almost looked like possession. Kind of funny note that the topic of a cat actually seems relevant, the other ships that came to their aid also happen to have cats on board too. Nice having other ships, not make it feel like this world was suddenly mad, but people are trying to be logical.

Interesting to note that the rodent was found with what looked like a containment box. A detail that kind of makes me wish the show had been more subtle about it all and trust that the audience could have put pieces together without making the girl's eyes glow like the rodent's. The end of the episode sure set things up in a dramatic and kind of spooky way, kind of ghost ship like.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Interesting to note that the rodent was found with what looked like a containment box. A detail that kind of makes me wish the show had been more subtle about it all and trust that the audience could have put pieces together without making the girl's eyes glow like the rodent's. The end of the episode sure set things up in a dramatic and kind of spooky way, kind of ghost ship like.

The show at its core is still more slice of life style with pseudo military drills, trying to go all in with a "true mystery style" narrative would be getting a bit ambitious in regards to story telling.
At the very least the characters in universe don't know the truth (yet) which still gives the promise that there will be more events to come with the rodent induced rage effect (whatever it is).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

It is kind of good that the charges are getting chopped so there is a weight lifted, but also being confronted by the other side. Makes you stop calling the "enemies irredeemable bad guys because they have a reason, even if as we saw the captain said that she cannot remember it, and that she hates herself for what happened. We got men ships trying to diffuse the situation, and just as much are alright people and understand the weight of a decision of effectively firing on students. Clearly we need some drama to stay in this show.

Could be that the rodents themselves are what interferes with the electronics. And at least it looked like childhood friend was not currently in a rage. I am intrigued.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Looks like the girls figured out the rodents are causing the strange actions as well as the electronic interference.

I am kind of enjoying this more as the personality of the crew are becoming more stand out. We have not had it too strong before as to not feel overwhelmed, but little things like the head mechanic being hardy in removing the possibility of a fight, the cook trying to meet tastes an failing at German food, and the doctor being creepy, really kind of add to making them interesting. In general the personalities are a little lower than say the Anglerfish team in Girls und Panzer, and instead more like Rabbit Team.

I do think that the captain should be able to delegate a job to someone else rather than jumping at the chance herself, it is kind of like Star Trek levels, but what are you going to do.
CaptnBartholomew

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Clearly we need some drama to stay in this show.

I get the feeling that the next one's has something to do with that girl who really hates Akeno and some sort dispute would happen to whether she stays captain or not...
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
My yuri-senses were tingling with Rin-chan's "I'm glad you're my captain" and the hug. Rin x Misaki: Now that's a ship I can get aboard! Get it?

I'll see myself out...

Last edited by Yuri Fan on Sun May 15, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, maybe they're on to something here, but when the shit is flying at work and emergencies are popping out of the woodwork, I don't think my superiors (let alone the people I'm supervising) would take kindly to my just going off and taking a bath for awhile. All I could think of during that scene was, "Isn't there something more pressing you should be doing? Just change into dry clothes and get on it." But do Japanese officers really get no perks? I can't imagine a lower ranking crewperson telling a superior officer (let alone the captain) they have to wait their turn. I'd expect Japanese military to be even more rigidly hierarchical.

So on one hand, we're told that minesweeping is like one of the primary functions of the Blue Mermaids, but on the other hand they still have to explain what it is to half the crew. Shouldn't that have been covered in their classes on land?

Have they even contacted their superiors with what they've learned now that their electronics are back online? I think what I'm saying is that it's really hard for me to take their situation very seriously when there's always time for a long bath, and food parties, and shopping. I guess these are supposed to be how they flesh out the characters and their relationships, but it just sabotages any sense of urgency or danger they're trying to build otherwise. I'm going to need a neck brace before this is over.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have they even contacted their superiors with what they've learned now that their electronics are back online? I think what I'm saying is that it's really hard for me to take their situation very seriously when there's always time for a long bath, and food parties, and shopping. I guess these are supposed to be how they flesh out the characters and their relationships, but it just sabotages any sense of urgency or danger they're trying to build otherwise. I'm going to need a neck brace before this is over.

I have to agree with you there the minute they found out the hamster/rats were causing the people to go berserk and the electrical problems the should relayed that to command. With the warning that they are highly contagious and if see then not touch them without protection, also any ship experiencing unexplained electrical problems should have a search for these critters. They appear not to be taking this seriously even though their experience with the Musashi should have driven that fact home.

Last edited by Cyberd1 on Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Vicente Gallardo Carroza

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
i think that even if it makes them see like a generic anime for the "losing time" it can be explained by noticing that it's the ship with the worst examen notes, so, they are not fooling arround, they are doing what they thing they should do, even if that is to do a food party or take a bath or wathever, that's why the sub captain and the germany are always mad, i think.

And also, about the infected rats, do they are a human made plague? or are for the past war or something? certainly or they ar from the enemy country to make a new war, or the rats somehow survived and mutated and caused the actual events, only hope they explain the rats things soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4