• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This is a guess, but it looks like the reason why Natsuki is getting overkilled might be shifting, though the executioner is probably the same.

My bet is that the first cycle is he was killed because of pure display of incompetence, this cycle he was killed by unwittingly creating jealously with the twins, though the count probably would care less about an unknown young man getting purged in his own house in either case.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
It seems most likely that the killer is Ram at the master's orders. We did not see everything last time, but clearly Rem actually gets quite attached to him, and Ram is more attached to the master in waiting outside the bath. Most hints seem to say the girls are demons.

Another possibility is a focus on the dog bite, as that could be something that gets him sick, although I would not be surprised if it is a red herring.

Of note things happened to him differently because of the way he acted this time, like Ram deciding to tutor him. On a personal note, I really did not have the two girls strongly defined when I watched the previous episode, just that they both act cold yet a little joke that one sucks at most housework. But with the focus on the two it actually did feel like that we were learning more. The two girls may sound and look quite similar, but Rem (blue haired) has a pretty low self esteem about herself in spite of being the better maid, not just a case of her idolising her sister. And it is Subaru's comments in praising Rem for her individual side that makes her start paying attention to him. Ram takes this as having a problem with his hair or something, but this scene almost felt like it had a bit of menace to it that Ram was saying Rem can't get interested, it turned to insulting Subaru's hair, but she felt guilty about it. Ram on the other side seems more easily look down on him. Rem is a cutie.

Also a thought crossed my mind. They used the word "oni", which kind of feels funny with the red oni and blue oni trope. Blue is calm, while red is hot-blooded, almost making it strange we saw nothing hot-blooded from Ram yet.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
Having seen about 5 episodes now, this show has been fairly well adapted imo so far with good pacing.

I noticed the ED theme song getting a nice visual (characters) update as well. The plot involves time loops obviously but I also really like some of the characters so far. A nice balance of supernatural thriller and fantasy drama. Rem and Ram are just so fun to watch.

As for Subaru's fate, I guess we'll have to see next time if he can figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6.

Well I guess it is safe to say there is no such thing as getting on her good side.

Actually I am sort of impressed with how far Subaru has been able to come. He might be a doofus, but he clearly neither an ignoramus nor a coward. He played the end of this loop differently from the way I would have but at least he got results.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the only way it seems Subaru can survive is to not-befriend either Rem or Ram. Talks to Red... Blue kills him. Talks to Blue... Red kills him.

Just get up in the morning without talking to anyone, leave the mansion with Emilia-tan and unless he trips and decapitates himself, he should be good to go.... Until the next checkpoint. Maybe boring, but at least he won't have to see his entrails all over the floor every 4th day.

Oh and about the episode, I was well impressed with his emergency escape plan off the cliff. Good thinking Subaru!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Unfortunately, the only way it seems Subaru can survive is to not-befriend either Rem or Ram. Talks to Red... Blue kills him. Talks to Blue... Red kills him.

Except I think that occurred in the first cycle, and the count got annoyed and ordered Subaru's death anyway.

So unless he can talk his way out of this current potential death, there is going to be a curious follow up.

Also, it makes it blatantly clear why the twins have blinding front bangs as they are Oni with there horns chopped off.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Just get up in the morning without talking to anyone, leave the mansion with Emilia-tan and unless he trips and decapitates himself, he should be good to go.... Until the next checkpoint. Maybe boring, but at least he won't have to see his entrails all over the floor every 4th day.

If he did that, he'd never solve what was going on. There is a reason he's been transported to that time and that place, and why he restarts every time he gets killed. Copping out might have much more serious long-term results than taking calculated risks to find out what's going on.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Unfortunately, the only way it seems Subaru can survive is to not-befriend either Rem or Ram. Talks to Red... Blue kills him. Talks to Blue... Red kills him!

I don't think it is that simple. If jealousy were the motive why bother running down someone who has left the scene voluntarily?

There is a force involved with a greater purpose that is compelling the killers and something that is opposing that force by sending Subaru back each time.

Also, it is suggestive that she was able to find him camped out on that high ground. He said he was a going to the capital. She has either some wicked tracking skills or magic was involved in finding him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I thought the one to kill him would be Ram, but it was Rem. Although another way is that things were different this time, it looked kind of like he got closer to Ram than previous, so theoretically it might not have been Rem that killed him on the count's orders or after getting close to her, only after maybe befriending Ram, and leaving the manner before becoming back to spy. It could be that one sister becomes jealous the closer he gets to one, so he would have to appear useful without getting in-between them.

I quite enjoyed the playing around he did with Puck. And also Betty more too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Also, it is suggestive that she was able to find him camped out on that high ground. He said he was a going to the capital. She has either some wicked tracking skills or magic was involved in finding him.

I figured that had something to do with whatever it was the Count put in his pack. Or else that item will be what saves him.

The subtitles and the drill-Loli's way of speaking are confusing me. She mentioned "Babby" this time, which isn't "Betty," which I thought was short for Beatrice. Is Betty or "Babby" a different person?? She also sort of keeps implying that she knows he's recycling, but because he never takes note of that and calls her on it, I can't tell if it's just an artifact of her speaking style, bad subs, or if she really knows something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The subtitles and the drill-Loli's way of speaking are confusing me. She mentioned "Babby" this time, which isn't "Betty," which I thought was short for Beatrice. Is Betty or "Babby" a different person?? She also sort of keeps implying that she knows he's recycling, but because he never takes note of that and calls her on it, I can't tell if it's just an artifact of her speaking style, bad subs, or if she really knows something.

I caught her saying "Babby" too, but I think that is actually her nickname for Puck, and it was when she was saying that only herself and Puck could do mana drain.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
That could be. But if Beatrice and Betty are one and the same, in standard loli mode she also refers to herself by name rather than pronoun, which only adds to my confusion. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
See if this screenshot from ep 4 clears up the confusion:

And in some parts of the world Betty is a diminutive form of Beatrice,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7
The main take of the episode is that Subaru takes a vow of self resolve to end his personal ignorance to the situation at hand.

That is the over simplification of the episode as even with the current minimalistic cast it is intriguing to speculate WHAT the purpose of Subaru's revival effect could actually serve, from inferred information it likely has something to due with the region's "guardian dragon" and Subaru is acting as a "piece on the board".
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The main take of the episode is that Subaru takes a vow of self resolve to end his personal ignorance to the situation at hand.

Fun and games is pretty much over it seems, aside from an epic drill stretch. That was pretty intense but I guess the payoff is Subaru has decided to get serious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24