• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
S2, 15 / 40:

I like Otto. I've always liked him. His backstory? I have no problem with it per se. But really, to introduce the fact that he's basically Dr. Dolittle only now, when he's facing Garfiel turning to a mad Frosty the Tiger who didn't get his cereal, feels too convenient (and even a bit pointless). Even feels a bit like a distraction, in a way.

And the whole talk between Emilia and Subaru? Tell me I'm not the only one feeling frustrated about it, because man that was vexing as heck. I know Emilia has distrust and self-worth issues, and I know Subaru is basically Emilia's no. 1 simp. But holy hell, the whole "selfish" talk feels like that Spider-Man Pointing at Spider-Man meme (come to think of it, now I know why she can end up becoming Satella, urgh).

Probably my least favorite episode in this series because well... nothing really happened. It's basically an episode about our main couple blowing off some steam at each other, while Otto and Ram go distract Garfiel. Nothing really happened this time. I only love this show when it's about figuring out stuff, not hashing out feelings.

For the love of God, please move along!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
Preach it, brutha! On this matter, we are very much on the same page.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
S2, 15 / 40:

I like Otto. I've always liked him. His backstory? I have no problem with it per se. But really, to introduce the fact that he's basically Dr. Dolittle only now, when he's facing Garfiel turning to a mad Frosty the Tiger who didn't get his cereal, feels too convenient (and even a bit pointless). Even feels a bit like a distraction, in a way.

Fwiw, Otto's blessing of soul language was briefly mentioned in one of the last episodes of S1 (I want to say the last, when Subaru recruits him to chase after the wagon with the bomb) and it was also mentioned in one of those chibi mini episodes that are only being released on Youtube this season. IIRC (can't check), Subaru also has Otto translate Patrasche's response as to why she pulled Subaru out of the tomb at the end of last cour, so it's hardly something they pulled out of nowhere.

As usual, there's more instances of him talking to animals in the books but it's usually mundane stuff (translate whatever the land dragons say) so itt mostly went the way of Mr. snip snip.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
I liked this episode. Thought it was much better than last episode
It started ok with Otto's family figuring out why he was so quiet/couldn't listen that well, but the stuff with the weirdly anthropomorphic cats (?) going on a date (?) making him figure out the girl was promiscuous (??) and thus making him go all the way to her and telling that to a dude's face (???) was just... terrible. Thankfully we got Ram kicking Mr. Kellogs in the face right after to make up for that.
I liked the conversation between Emilia and Subaru, too. I guess I understand people not liking it because of how circular it is, but we haven't had Emilia being this vulnerable before, so I didn't mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was sure we knew earlier that Otto could speak to animals, it wasn't even that long ago he was translating for Patrasche.

Of course it comes across a bit of Subaru being a bit hypocritical for talking up Emilia after his own problem, but it was also somewhat the same with Rem too who had a big inferiority complex before Subaru told her that she has worth. It had been questioned before if Subaru's "love" for Emilia is selfish and or shallow, but after all of this Subaru is still holding onto the feelings that he was struggling to put into words, and was putting the onus on Emilia to face herself rather than own her love. An argument could be made for Subaru convincing Puck to leave, but if anything it was Puck who was interfering kind of selfishly by holding her memories back, apparently because he think she could not handle them.

I do agree that elements don't land quite yet, and I think that is a little bit because we don't really know what Emilia's past is yet. We knew pretty much all the of the Subaru parts in being on his journey, but I don't think we have had a lot of insight into Emilia herself other than The Frozen Bond that showed the mostly freshly released Emilia with Puck. To stick the landing of this episode, we need to learn about Emilia, we need to understand her as a person. And it has kind of been one the biggest mysteries of this show after the witches themselves: Who is Emilia?
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Honest to God, I had no recollection of him being able to talk to animals. That must've slipped my mind, along with many others things in this show.

I noticed that some people on the forums are overlaying the talk between Emilia and Subaru, with the one he had with Rem. And I admit, if we were to compare the two conversations, this one is a lot more... realistic (albeit still vexing to me imho). I imagine that this is how relationships really work in real life: couples at loggerheads with each other over their personalities. One of those "hashing things out" moments that (welp yeah, fine) nobody says is a pleasant thing to see.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
but if anything it was Puck who was interfering kind of selfishly by holding her memories back, apparently because he think she could not handle them.

There's one line in the Frozen Bond, when Puck is pushing back the manifestations of Maluakura in Elior Forest. He says something like "Not yet. She needs more time, forever if possible".

That's kind of the deal with Puck. When he fought Petelguese, Guese accused Puck of being lazy and while he does talk alot of crap, there is a bottom of truth in that. The thing with spirits and timeless beings in general is that if you have all the time in the world, then nothing is ever a pressing matter or a "now" problem. I wouldn't necessarily say Puck didn't think Emilia could handle the things he was sealing but it's more that he kicked that can, along with just about any other can, down the road - and the road for a timeless spirit and an extremely long lived elf is very long. Puck's entire attitude to "dealing with things" can be summed up as "Emilia is happy giving silly names to frozen wastes of Elior Forest and trying to strike conversations with random people so if i can milk 100 years of not dealing with all the other baggage, I'm definitely gonna do it - those can wait - until they can't of course.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
S2, 16 / 41:

Mommy issues.

Garfiel is an angry kid. We know that. But now we know why he's an angry kid (side note: let's just say, every other character voiced Okamoto Nobuhiko is going to be an angry kid). Kids get better over parental neglect, regardless of the reason or whatever they think is the reason. Usually when a parent leaves, the kid's anger is directly aimed at the parent. For Garfiel's case, it's directed at the outside world. They took his mom away from him.

So to be honest, I feel it's a little strange for a kid to think his mom left because 1) she wanted to be happy, and 2) he thinks he's a burden to her. I don't think kids are that selfless for most parts. But "why does my mom hate me (so much that she left me)?", now that's a very common question/rationalization. What killed his mom is a freak accident, but of course what's more important is why she chose to leave for the outside world, and that freak accident is the price she paid.

So to put it in a better perspective, 2) is simply "why does my mom hate me" phrased differently (Garfiel evidently isn't the kind who's good at expressing himself). Makes perfect sense. So in a way, him closing off the Sanctuary is basically himself closing to the outside world. The whole trial is just self-forgiveness 101, the same thing Subaru went through when he met his parents in his own trial.

So now, on with the plot: is Echidna related to Emilia in some way? It sounds trivial, but it bothers me a little how they look so alike that it can't be coincidental.

We're in for a long haul with the "more-than-24-minute" episodes.

P.S. Invisible Providence sounds so pretentious. The original name Unseen Hands is so much better.

Last edited by ACxS on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:51 am Reply with quote
Echidna was spitting straight up poison at the end there, she clearly seem pretty jealous that Subaru turned her down, super pouty. And it was met with a different side of Emilia too, a more confident one who has gained more assurance who she is regardless of what others place on her. Although it looks like we will have to wait until next week for her past.

This week we got Garfiel, and I am going to say that I was surprised by how cute he was at the end. He did not totally change, but I think Subaru was right about there being a gooey inside to the kid we now know is 14. He opened up to Subaru, and when he smiled, so good.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
S2, 17 / 42:

The effects of being a sloth.

I had the impression that this season features longer-than-usual episodes because it's trying to cram as much as content as much because 12 episodes aren't gonna cut it. I'm still of this impression as of now. But pace-wise, this episode is taking its time and I can understand why: it's exploring Emilia's past, one of the central plots of the show.

Though not explicitly explained (I think?), Geuse's apparent guilt has something to do with Emilia's parents' disappearance/death. The big questions now is: how did nice guy Geuse turn into batshit-insane Petelgeuse (School of Sloth)? And how exactly was Corneas (School of Greed... *looking at you, Echidna*) involved in Emilia's past? Did this instance pushed Emilia to make a contract with Puck?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
There looks like a whole lot of stuff to digest. Especially the likes of Geuse, most certainly Petelgeuse, younger and not insane. He and his followers with their outfits alone are enough to see their connection to the Witch cult, yet oddly Corneas seemed pretty ominous in describing himself as part of the Witch's cult.

My running theory through the episode was Geuse may still be part of the Witch's cult at this point, but it might have had a much more positive element to it, something misunderstood over time and Geuse himself forgot. Going by the theory that Satella might not have been as evil as people thought, perhaps they were doing something in her sake, something they recognised themselves as sinners, and they needed to have the elves in that place.

Emilia was being raised by her biological aunt, although also referred to her as a mother, weird thinking the Geuse could have become a father like figure to her. In terms of her actual parents, we were told she got her hair from her father (aunt's brother) and her eyes from her mother. One of the things we have been told in people connecting her to Satella was her silver hair, but if Emilia got this from her father this would push that her mother probably is not Satella herself. I think Fortuna implied that people like herself have "mean" eyes, perhaps that be elves in general, which would mean that Emilia as a half-elf (evenly to be stuck by the Sanctuary), which might mean her mother was a human.

Geuse also looked well versed with spirits, odd for how he totally freaked out in the earlier arc at the sight of them. Beatrice also implied that she was familiar with Geuse, probably when he was nicer such as in this episode, which furthers a connection with spirits. One of my current theories was that perhaps the seal mentioned in the episode could be Puck, there is his whole ice nature that was being kept in the seal. And or also Emilia's parents were used to create the seal, which is why the information is a bit sketchy on what happened to them, and Emilia will accidentally ruin their hard work by breaking the seal. Puck will make a promise with someone to look after Emilia. I don't know if Puck would be among the lesser spirits.

Geuse also explains himself as very old, even older than Fortuna, who implied that she too was pretty old compared to some of the other elves. I figured that Petelgeuse could have lived an extended lifespan if he was old by swapping bodies, but his quote here does make him look quite very unhuman even when he was a more reasonable person, being old compared to elves. It did seem like a good fit with how the voice actor was able to play the character lighter than Petelgeuse was before, I always think of him from SAO.

Also, would seem that this slightly more silly Emilia is closer to how she was as a child, maybe a more similar to Subaru than we had thought. Echidna and Emilia fighting is a total mood, mostly Echidna trying to be mean as Emilia teases her. Subaru totally was ending up under her spell, and Emilia is in total control.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I don't know if Puck would be among the lesser spirits.

Puck is The Beast of the End and would become the Great Spirit of Fire during the events of Frozen Bond. Unless he's stopped by an unbearable opponent like Reinhard, he's literally a pocket extinction event as he can end all life on earth by sucking its mana dry. Comparing him to a lesser spirit is like comparing a BB gun to a nuclear weapon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
That is why I was thinking that it could make sense that something like Puck would have a seal placed on him, to prevent the "end".
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
S2, 18 / 43:

Pandora? Witch of Vanity? Hold on--

Apparently, Pandora is the one who started everything. From what I can gather, she's the one who killed Emilia's parents (why? Beats me). Not-Betelgeuse-yet feels obligated to protect Emilia and the village (why? Beats me), because Pandora wants the key that end the world (why? Beats me), and Regulus Corneas is her servant. Regulus, whom we knew earlier is currently the Archbishop of Pride (Witch: Typhon). So... he used to serve a different witch?

We have no idea who Pandora is or what she is, but her name is any indicator, she will have something to do with her obsession of love (or expressions of it). In Greek mythology, she opened the Box, releasing all the evil in the world, with Hope the only one left inside. Hence Pandora's Box, which refers to any source of a whole shit of problems. I hope there's some kind of reference to a kind of box in this show. And as far as her powers go, it seems like she can rewrite reality by word of mouth (or more than that). Talk about formidable.

This is a classic case of more answers begetting more questions. We just have to sit along for the ride to hope for more answers to understand what's going on. Emilia's trial will definitely have something to do with Ryuzu's story and what she has to impart with the gang. It doesn't surprise me that Beatrice is linked to Echidna; it kinda makes a lot of sense, although it's only clear now that she's Echidna's daughter. Biological or not, I'm not sure; for all we know, Beatrice might be her daughter only figuratively.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
We already knew that Beatrice was directly linked to Echidna, Beatrice was placed in the library under her orders, and considering Echidna's obsession with knowledge. She was placed under contract to the secret library to the lord of the land that houses her 'laboratory'.

I thought that Regulus was the Archbishop of Greed, and has been a somewhat weird aspect that it should have tied him in some way to Echidna, but other than the title Echidna has shown no interest in him at all. Seems to come down that this Pandora is who decided to hand out these titles, not the other witches. Pandora is something like the Witch of Vanity, which is weird because I thought that we had been led to believe that there were 7 witches of sin, none of them were Pandora, I might be led to believe that maybe she is the one responsible for the witch's cult being what it is, following my theory that Satella herself is not bad.

I have seen people refer to Regulus as anime Ben Shapiro, and I can't get that out of my mind. We also learned that apparently Geuse was a spirit, which I guess goes some way to explain his long life. Fortuna was calling Emilia "Lia", which happens to be the same name that Puck would call her.

For my running theory of what is probably a wrong theory. I bet in general that the witches wanted to better the world, they did their own things, like how Daphne created the three creatures to solve world hunger; the whale, the rabbit and the snake (which we saw this episode). If Pandora was included among them, she probably wanted/wants the world to be destroyed, so that it can be restarted entirely or something, that is why she was after the seal that could end the world. Her reality warping powers are probably like a prototype of what she wants to do in remaking the world. Could be that Satella did not like this path, and took to absorbing the powers of the other witches as a pre-emptive means to stop her and work for her own vision, and would make herself the enemy of the world. Satella though was locked away by the dragon in doing so, because any time they would kill her would probably trigger her own Return by Death. Perhaps Emilia's parents were followers of Satella that aimed to keep world ending things out of the wrong hands, I currently believe they sacrificed themselves to create the seal. But Pandora has ended up corrupting the cult, followers of Satella, and bent it to her will to end the world. The witch powers probably have corruptive elements, like what the Sloth Factor did to Geuse, probably why there is also an evil version of Satella also.

I am most certainly wrong, basing stuff off of small bits of information, and probably my own biases. So I won't hold my breath over any of this actually being the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24