• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 4]: Diamond Is Unbreakable (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote

This Season:

Season 3 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 4]: Diamond Is Unbreakable (TV)

Other Seasons:

Season 1 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [Parts 1 + 2:] [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency] (TV) (discussed here)
Season 2 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Stardust Crusaders (TV) (discussed here)
Season 4 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 5]: Golden Wind (TV) discussed here)
Season 5 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 6]: Stone Ocean (TV) (discussed here)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 131 volumes, by Hirohiko Araki)

Demographic: Shounen, Seinen

Animation Studio: David Production

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller

Themes: betrayal, serial killer, superhumans, superpowers, tragedy, ultraviolence

Plot Summary: It's the year 1999, 11 years after Jotaro Kujo's desperate fight against Dio in Egypt. Jotaro meets with Josuke Higashikata, the illegitimate son of his grandfather Joseph Joestar. He discovers that Josuke also has the same "Stand" power and that a new threat is surfacing in Morioh City.

Air Date & Platform: Apr. 1, 2016 (Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, Netflix)
----------------------------------

JOJO is getting a 4th season! Diamond is Unbreakable is among my favorite from the franchise and I'm highly looking forward to this show because of its characters and storytelling.

Expectations are high from David Productions and I think it will do fairly well in terms of consistency.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Pretty solid start overall

The voice acting is good and I like Jousuke's portrayal in this. Those fabulous hair is just glorious to look at while I kinda like his personality as well. Jotaro and Jousuke's on-screen chemistry is also nice.

The Stands already looks quite stylistic and I can't wait to see more. A good reminder is not to talk trash about Jousuke's hair!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm slightly annoyed by how stupid the escape was, since you could see it coming a mile off. Also that once again, they've sidelined the JoJo-related women to "protect" them from the truth. Since they have other active female characters, I don't know why they keep doing this. And the mangaka really hates dogs, doesn't he.

All that aside, this was still tasty JoJo goodness. I really, really enjoy Jotaro and Josuke working together. They play off each other very well. Too bad that means shifting Jotaro's color scheme from black to white.

Changing the stand name from Crazy Diamond to Shining Diamond was really unnecessary as that phrase is not copyrighted or trademarked. Anyone know what Aqua Necklace is a reference to?

I only just realized today that the JoJo's narrator is Coach Ochiai from Ace of Diamond. Very Happy
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I only just realized today that the JoJo's narrator is Coach Ochiai from Ace of Diamond. Very Happy

Yup, Ookawa Tooru. He's also Roy in the first FMA series and Tenjin in Noragami, etc.

I can't be the only one who's amused that Savage Garden is this season's ending theme. Anime hyper Though I'm fairly disappointed that I read a huge spoiler (not sure if it was trolling or real, but nonetheless...) for one of the future parts in the comments of the YouTube video.
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Changing the stand name from Crazy Diamond to Shining Diamond was really unnecessary as that phrase is not copyrighted or trademarked. Anyone know what Aqua Necklace is a reference to?

According to the Jojo wiki (because of course there's a wiki) it's a reference to the band Aqua. You know, the ones who did "Barbie Girl"?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. I'd never heard the whole song, let alone knew of the artist, since I'd quit listening to the radio by then, so I only ever passively caught the hook in random public places or on tv when it couldn't be avoided. Now that I've seen the lyrics, I consider that a blessing and an affirmation of why I quit. Smile
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I forgot how absolutely savage Angelo was, I'm not fond of dogs or their owners too but daaaaamn Laughing. I have to admit, Angelo tricking Josuke's grandfather into drinking his stand was incredibly clever, and also pretty convenient that he stalked the poor old guy to know to pull that trick against him.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked how Josuke went BAOH for a second there. The way they are pacing these first two episodes we are going to be watching for a while.

I'm not a fan of IV but we gotta get through it to get to V and beyond. I hope it succeeds. This is the closest we have ever been.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I think the OP song is fabulous and the ED theme song has a nostalgic feel to it. Pacing is fine for now, they adapted everything what I had expected so far.

I feel really bad for Josuke's grandpa though...
At least they managed to get justice against Angelo. I'm starting to get used to the animation style as well, wasn't a big fan of it at first but I think it's working well now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Lol and that's why it's not a good idea to piss off Josuke. Too bad for Angelo.

Glad to see they're able to finish adapting the Angelo parts for this episode and move on to the next part. I liked Josuke and Kouichi's chemistry this episode as well. Cool to see Nijimura's appearance too and poor Kouichi, pretty fun stuff. About..3-4 chapters adapted? I think pacing is still good for now.

Also really liking that ED theme song and OST.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Nice episode, got what I had expected with the action. I really liked Josuke and Koichi's chemistry and I think they adapted Bad Company pretty well along with Keicho this episode.

Bet the VA had a lot of fun with this episode as well. A battle of strategies...quite exciting overall. I really liked the mind games that Josuke played against Keicho from start to finish.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
A three parter? Man, I wish I waited another week for a solid conclusion.

My mother was in the room while I was watching it. Her comment: "They swear a lot."
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

That was fun, really nice to see the episode capture the facial expressions of Koichi and Josuke for this arc and keeping the blood in.

Dio is also mentioned this episode as well with that background story.

Interesting to see the flashbacks about Nijimura siblings. I got somewhat emotional watching the episode as well in the latter half. It was overall fairly well executed in terms of storytelling. Can't wait for the next arc!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they obscured the kids' faces until the photo reveal? I can't see any point to it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Things are getting interesting. And here I thought the show would just be keeping itself on life support once Dio died (thus ending all plot threads from the first part of JoJo). I was wrong! This is a generational saga, and it shows. This is already miles above the start of Stardust Crusaders. Hopefully, it'll keep this momentum up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3