• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When did the OVA die?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I feel like "ONAs" are basically the exact same idea...except they're online instead of VHS/DVD.

But they are still around, definitely.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I feel like late night anime played a role because you can get away with more content and do it with a cheaper budget.

I think the part I bolded is the larger reason now a days personally. In this era of churning out titles as the speed of light the idea of going slow and putting more resources into just an OVA is simply not considered. I think one of the few exceptions, even though they are full length movies, are the Fate movies in recent years. I do think the idea of having more graphic or mature content plays a bit into it, but the larger factor I feel has got to be the current mentality of pump as many titles out as quick and cheaply as you can. Some studios are better about putting a bit more money even into the titles they rush out the door, but it's still not the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2