• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pani Poni Dash! DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
I saw the first 2 eps at OniCon a couple months back. Very very funny! Imagine if Excel Saga & Azumanga Daioh had a baby. That's my take on it.

Definitely on my "to buy" list Very Happy
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I thought this show was released (or at least aired) a long, long time ago. Maybe 'cause I've see it's name drop here and there for a while.

I'll probably pick this up along with the Nerima Daikon Brothers, since I hear they're simular
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
For some reason, I thought this show was released (or at least aired) a long, long time ago. Maybe 'cause I've see it's name drop here and there for a while.

Well, it aired in Japan over a year ago (along with the fansubs that came out at the same time).

Quote:
Story : A-

Um, there should really be some other kind of factor for the grades. Pani Poni really wouldn't score high in any of the usual categories listed. Maybe something like an "enjoyment" factor would be nice to add. Because I know there are people who read the reviews here and go straight to the ratings to decide whether or not they'll like something. Giving it such a high rating in story, of which, nearly none exists, really gives the wrong impression for a series... Although, I'm guessing people would probably know what they're getting into after seeing the cover...
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad they went through the effort of adding all of the references on it's own separate track. That was half the fun of watching PPD!
Definitely got me sold.

This series was SOO good, but it gets directionless and confusing after ep. 20ish or so. It still gets my endorsement though.
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:

I'll probably pick this up along with the Nerima Daikon Brothers, since I hear they're simular

You're probably thinking of that one editorial, whos name escapes me.... shelf life? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen it on there before, I remember watching Terminator 2 and coming on ANN and seeing that cover art, was genius.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he scriptwriting stays true to the spirit of comedy, sacrificing obsessive accuracy in favor of snappy punchlines and smart colloquialisms.

This is exactly what I was hoping not to hear. Sad Does this extend to the subtitles as well, or have they kept those accurate?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
They (ADV) always translates the Japanese language track accurately, so don't worry. Just as in the case of Ghost Stories; you could either watch the totally rewritten, funnier English dub, or the original Japanese language version.

Now, I'm not saying the english dub of PPD is totally rewritten. I'm just using the example of how ADV keeps the Japanese version intact.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
They (ADV) always translates the Japanese language track accurately

You didn't watch Azumanga, did you? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
Whearn9999 wrote:

No. Was it bad or something? Typos? Vocabulary errors?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
NegativeZero wrote:
Whearn9999 wrote:
No. Was it bad or something? Typos? Vocabulary errors?
I know there's a lot of flack tossed ADV's way by Azumanga fansub viewers, but having seen through episode 23 on DVD, I'd say it's accurate enough by DVD standards. They do tweak a few puns and jokes to work in English without using lengthy onscreen explanation notes, but I never considered anything grossly inaccurate.

That aside, PPD has been a good watch so far--it's been my "come home from work and eat something" anime, so I've watched all except episode 2 in English, and I have very few complaints about the dub--it's true, the girls do have more recognizable personalities, instead of falling into anime girl archetypes that you can recognize by voice. Especially Himeko, boy do I feel sorry for whoever sacrificed their vocal cords to say all those maho's.

In general, I love reference-packed anime (like Excel Saga and Abenobashi), and I don't mind when a reference has to be "explained" to me via the resurgent AD-Vidnotes. It's great learning new things about classic mecha, Japanese comedy shows, energy drinks, and other cultural artifacts, and having wasted hundreds of hours levelling up and earning GP in Dragon Warrior for the NES, I appreciate the Dragon Quest nods. They even threw in a famous line from AIR.

I never checked out the fansubs for PPD, and I think I was just collecting them at the time the licensing announcement came through. Either way, I'd always thought of PPD as an "ADV Series" ever since I first heard about it. I'm glad they were the ones that picked it up, since most of the other licensee companies would've ignored most of the onscreen text because it's "too much work to translate and time an additional subtitle track." Rolling Eyes And then they wonder why they lose out to fansubbers... Rolling Eyes
Shii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
Did ADV have notes for all the 2ch jokes?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
They do tweak a few puns and jokes to work in English without using lengthy onscreen explanation notes, but I never considered anything grossly inaccurate.

Thing is, anything they couldn't tweak to make into an English pun they cut completely. For example, I don't remember ADV's subs having the "Chinsuko!" joke from the Okinawa portion of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TuxedoRay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone want to team up w me to help get the answers to those quotes? I got 19 out of 22, but Im stuck on 3:

"Youre no Davy at all"
"I'll fix that"
& "Write me"

Any help would b appreciated. Smile & I'll help u as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1