• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pied Piper Licenses Skip Beat! Anime, Plans Crowdfunding for Release With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The Time of EVE dub was really top notch, and the way Pied Piper handled the Kickstarter really impressed me with their attention to customer cares and concerns.

I know next to nothing about Skip Beat, but I'm willing to back it just to help support the company. Count me in. Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't agree that shoujo is a poor seller (just look at Fruits Basket). However, Skip Beat is not your average shoujo title. Romance takes a backseat (in the anime at least) in favor of the main character's actual developing a talent. It's much closer to Kaleido Star (albeit the seemingly-unreachable senpai for Skip Beat is male instead of female) than any average shoujo title, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kaleido Star being a poor seller made companies hesitant to license Skip Beat.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Definitely interested! As someone who loves/prefers dubs I'm more then happy to give my money to support even more of them being made Anime smile

Will look forward to seeing the campaign once it starts!
LovelyAngelPDX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Count me in! I love Skip Beat!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hope this gets done; the more English dubs out there the better. Now if only the Time of Eve anime series got a dub/licensing...
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I'm in!

Question though, how is Indiegogo different from Kickstarter? Why go with Indiegogo this time over Kickstarter I wonder?
srlracing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Hope this gets done; the more English dubs out there the better. Now if only the Time of Eve anime series got a dub/licensing...

Pied Piper dubbed the movie which is available through Right Stuf http://www.rightstufanime.com/Time-of-Eve-The-Movie-Blu-ray-Hyb-Soundtrack-CD and I have to say it is a really great dub.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Question though, how is Indiegogo different from Kickstarter? Why go with Indiegogo this time over Kickstarter I wonder?

Does Kickstarter allow flexible funding? I think they're using Indiegogo because they'll be able to keep the money even if they do not make their goal. So if there isn't enough interest in a dub they can still do a sub-only release since they already bought the home video rights. Just a guess though. I imagine Indiegogo has less fees overall as well.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I was all over the Time of Eve dub, and I thought Pied Piper did a fantastic job. The PR liason was also super upfront about delays and whatnot, which was appreciated.

On the other, while I like Skip Beat!, I thought the anime was rather, mmm...not dull, exactly, given the excellent source material. Just kind of...lifeless? I felt like the direction didn't live up to the emotional intensity of the source material, a little like they were just painting in the panels and slapping them on-screen. :/ (Guess that's another one for my "I wish this had a remake" list! Anime hyper)

Last edited by whiskeyii on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
YES!

Skip Beat! is one of my favorite series ever, and I always found it such a tragedy it only had a streaming release. (well that, and the fact they never adapted more of the manga) Being able to own it physically would be a dream come true, so I'll be more than happy to help out.

It'd also be great to be able to rewatch it dubbed. The Japanese actors did a fantastic job, and I'll keep my fingers crossed the dub will be able to match. The names involved already have me feeling optimistic. Very Happy
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I wouldn't agree that shoujo is a poor seller (just look at Fruits Basket). However, Skip Beat is not your average shoujo title. Romance takes a backseat (in the anime at least) in favor of the main character's actual developing a talent. It's much closer to Kaleido Star (albeit the seemingly-unreachable senpai for Skip Beat is male instead of female) than any average shoujo title, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kaleido Star being a poor seller made companies hesitant to license Skip Beat.

Shoujo anime is definitely more likely to be a poor seller than other genres. Many people watch/read the series, yes... But they often don't actually put the money forward. Since they're often longer and cost more money to produce as a result of that, theyre often ignored by licensors entirely

A bunch of series that got licensed didn't get completed or got rushed final volumes for that reason. Corrector Yui and Glass Mask sold so poorly they never finished releasing them and Saint Tail had a sub-only multidisc final volume to quickly complete the series, for instance. Shugo Chara was ignored for YEARS and still doesn't have a physical release. No Pretty Cure was ever released in the US until Netflix took the plunge last December, despite there being a Canadian-made English dub for the first series. It just doesn't make enough money in the US. -Which is really annoying when you like shoujo.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I've had Vol. 1 of the manga for a long time (it was only $4 at a school bookfair!), and thought it was surprisingly interesting, and it's a shame it's never been licensed/dubbed before. I'll gladly contribute to this. I think it's a neat idea, and they have a good team of people on board. I hope they'll try more of these if it's successful.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Pied Piper dubbed the movie which is available through Right Stuf http://www.rightstufanime.com/Time-of-Eve-The-Movie-Blu-ray-Hyb-Soundtrack-CD and I have to say it is a really great dub.

I was referring to the ONA series, not the movie. I already knew the movie was dubbed.
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
One day I hope a company will license Kaiji ultimate survivor
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
This is pretty awesome. I'll gladly support. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3