• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pied Piper Licenses Skip Beat! Anime, Plans Crowdfunding for Release With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
I liked Skip Beat quite a bit and found it pretty funny when I saw it. However, its kinda of risky license imho. Definitely come for the humor and the story, but don't expect to get your socks knocked off by the visuals. I think its worth a buy and a darned shame that there wasn't more seasons. I'll definitely look into this.

Gemnist wrote:
srlracing wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Hope this gets done; the more English dubs out there the better. Now if only the Time of Eve anime series got a dub/licensing...
Pied Piper dubbed the movie which is available through Right Stuf http://www.rightstufanime.com/Time-of-Eve-The-Movie-Blu-ray-Hyb-Soundtrack-CD and I have to say it is a really great dub.

I was referring to the ONA series, not the movie. I already knew the movie was dubbed.

The movie is the ONA with roughly about 15 more minutes and the episodes stitched together. They previously released the ONA and it was on RightStuf for awhile. If you still want the ONA you can try Pied Piper's store or there's some copies left that they are selling on Amazon. The $50 price is the same price that it originally sold for, so in case you were wondering no its not a markup.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
The Time of EVE dub was really top notch, and the way Pied Piper handled the Kickstarter really impressed me with their attention to customer cares and concerns.

I know next to nothing about Skip Beat, but I'm willing to back it just to help support the company. Count me in. Very Happy
Pied Piper was great, because they kept you constantly in the loop and made you feel part of the process. Unlike a certain other anime company that has poor communication skills when it comes to their Kickstarter.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Skip Beat, sadly they didn't continue the storyline, I will be glad to help fund a blueray release.

Maybe this will open the door for Hanasakeru Seishounen to get this type of treatment, I don't tend to like reverse harems, but Hanasakeru Seishounen is so much more than that.
niknasr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
Well, tbh I'm being really sceptical with this whole thing, the company licensed the series, doing a crowdfunding for dub and then sell the DVD and Blu-ray of the dub version.. Well, even people like me know how much money they milk from this series, it is like people buy double the price to get a product.. This is too much, I would rather fund for a whole new season anime of Skip Beat rather than fund for this, at least we got a new content..
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Shoujo anime does not sell well.
Fruits Basket and Ouran would like to have a word with you.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
I don't doubt that shoujo sells comparatively low to other series, but it must sell well enough since smaller anime companies keep turning out older shoujo shows lately, ie ItaKiss and LoveCom. Makes me quite happy - shoujo anime gets so little attention with western anime fans I didn't even know most of these shows had anime adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Makes me quite happy - shoujo anime gets so little attention with western anime fans I didn't even know most of these shows had anime adaptations.

It's just coming back full circle.

Fandom in the 80's and early 90's didn't really paid much attention to shoujo - and groups like KASHA, the Duffy husband-wife team, and Techno-Girls had to fight to get shoujo more exposure.

Then the shoujo boom exploded at the turn of the century, especially shoujo manga at bookstores where middle- and high-schooler manga cows grazed.

Then the Great Recession happened; anime turned less risk-averse thus more otaku-ish and less shoujo (instead shoujo turned to live-action); much of the middle- and high-school girls that grazed the bookstores left.

And now we're back to shoujo being the ugly step-sister that fandom prefers to keep aside and un-talked about. Laughing
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I wouldn't agree that shoujo is a poor seller (just look at Fruits Basket). However, Skip Beat is not your average shoujo title. Romance takes a backseat (in the anime at least) in favor of the main character's actual developing a talent. It's much closer to Kaleido Star (albeit the seemingly-unreachable senpai for Skip Beat is male instead of female) than any average shoujo title, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kaleido Star being a poor seller made companies hesitant to license Skip Beat.

Shoujo anime is definitely more likely to be a poor seller than other genres. Many people watch/read the series, yes... But they often don't actually put the money forward. Since they're often longer and cost more money to produce as a result of that, theyre often ignored by licensors entirely

A bunch of series that got licensed didn't get completed or got rushed final volumes for that reason. Corrector Yui and Glass Mask sold so poorly they never finished releasing them and Saint Tail had a sub-only multidisc final volume to quickly complete the series, for instance. Shugo Chara was ignored for YEARS and still doesn't have a physical release. No Pretty Cure was ever released in the US until Netflix took the plunge last December, despite there being a Canadian-made English dub for the first series. It just doesn't make enough money in the US. -Which is really annoying when you like shoujo.

I don't believe the reasons you state are true. Lately, there's been very few long shoujo series. Meanwhile, there are multiple ongoing shounen series that at this point feel like they've been running since the dawn of time: Naruto, Gintama, Fairy Tail, One Piece. Meanwhile, series like Ouran High School host club has been quite a success, at least for an anime in America. I'd personally like to see some numbers.

Also, what's up with not including links to the campaign in the article? I had to Google it. =\ https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skip-beat-anime-english-dub-for-north-america/coming_soon
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Then the shoujo boom exploded at the turn of the century, especially shoujo manga at bookstores where middle- and high-schooler manga cows grazed. [...]

AFAIK, Shoujo manga has always sold well. For whatever reason, female fans tend to prefer manga to anime.

Maybe for good reason. For as much as I love anime, shoujo romance is the one genre I tend to enjoy more in manga form. Plus hanging around Barnes and Noble and drinking fancy coffee while reading books for free is a little more sociable than sitting in your underwear at home, downloading torrents and drinking Mountain Dew.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Also, what's up with not including links to the campaign in the article? I had to Google it. =\ https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skip-beat-anime-english-dub-for-north-america/coming_soon

Thanks, I can add that in! We received a press release before the site was open.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I don't believe the reasons you state are true. Lately, there's been very few long shoujo series. Meanwhile, there are multiple ongoing shounen series that at this point feel like they've been running since the dawn of time: Naruto, Gintama, Fairy Tail, One Piece. Meanwhile, series like Ouran High School host club has been quite a success, at least for an anime in America. I'd personally like to see some numbers.

Feel free to not believe it, but it's true. I'm only repeating industry panelists, industry press releases, and every letter I've written to licensing companies in the US asking after the licensing status of a release put on hiatus. It's basically the same story as sports series, which classically flopped in the US. Things might change in the age of short-form cours and streaming, but it doesn't change the fact that shoujo often sold poorly or was ignored entirely in years past. I'm excited that Snow White with the Red Hair got simulcast, because I thought it'd be passed over entirely.

Though I'm not really sure why you brought up long-running shonen, because it has absolutely nothing to do with it. They have entirely different markets. People will always shell out money to watch people get punched across the screen, time and time again. If it's popular, it becomes a cash cow. Less people want to spend money to see Mariko take 20-50 episodes to get with Yusuke unless it has some kind of hook (like Ouran's heavy focus on comedy and satirizing common reverse-harem tropes so it could also appeal to males). Also, Mariko's story has now ended and so the money dries up when people lose interest in it after time passes. There won't be a cash cow, unless it becomes a franchise like Sailor Moon. It's a much safer bet for a licensor to pick the action-heavy series with cool fight scenes over the gentle romance show that may-or-may-not make a continuing story down the road.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the campaign preview. Definitely will be backing. Thrilled it'll be on BD as I don't think it's ever been released on BD before. Japanese release was DVD only and I'm pretty sure the French release is also DVD only.

Prices are reasonable for a two cour series. Currently (campaign has not launched so prices/merch are not set in stone as of yet) DVD for 65+shipping, BD for 85+shipping, BD/DVD + extra goodies for 100+shipping. I'll be getting the $100 tier most likely.

Hope there's enough fans for this to work. I don't personally care about a dub, but I know that's a big motivator for a lot of fans so it'd be nice to see it accomplished. The dub is also required for release, which explains why Sentai never picked this up for a sub only release. TV Tokyo requires a dub for this show.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Huh? No they didn't. Skip Beat! was never licensed for a physical release.

Yeah, my bad on that. I just vividly remember a license by sentia when they started out and a review on the show back in the day. I think I ran on crunchyroll.

[Edit]: same again. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Say what? I've put off watching this show for so long, because no one had ever licensed it, (I feel a need to own the shows I like), but now maybe I'll actually get around to it. Definitely news!
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Just saw the campaign preview. Definitely will be backing. Thrilled it'll be on BD as I don't think it's ever been released on BD before. Japanese release was DVD only and I'm pretty sure the French release is also DVD only.

It's probably because it was broadcast in HD that they were able to get Blu-ray rights. A few other TV Tokyo shows like Level E (FUNi), DD Fist of the North Star (Sentai) & season 1 of Hayate the Combat Butler (Sentai) also have/had DVD-only releases in Japan but got Blu-ray releases here with little to no problems.

Quote:
Hope there's enough fans for this to work. I don't personally care about a dub, but I know that's a big motivator for a lot of fans so it'd be nice to see it accomplished. The dub is also required for release, which explains why Sentai never picked this up for a sub only release. TV Tokyo requires a dub for this show.

A bit strange on TV Tokyo's part but I guess it's only for select shows so if that's what needs to be done for it to get released here then hopefully it does succeed. Maybe it will lead to other unlicensed shows with the same stipulation getting similar treatment as well?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
In the CR article "Crowdfunding Effort Aims To Enhance "Skip Beat" Anime Home Video Release", user "Directions" said:

Quote:
Hope it is OK to jump in... This is Ann from Pied Piper (I'm showing up as Directions because I used to be part of Directions, the producers of Time of EVE.) "Why not release it as sub only?" Because TV Tokyo, the licensor, has always believed that Skip Beat! needs to reach the widest audience possible, and so the dub is the condition of the license. No dub, no license. I commend TV Tokyo for taking a stand on the series. It wasn't an easy decision, but I love this series, and I believe in the fan base. So I decided to step up to the plate and take on the license. And, TV Tokyo decided to trust me to take this title directly to fans through crowdfunding.

So, even TV Tokyo is wanting a dub. I think you can't get more official than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3